ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Aug. 19, 2022

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The Topper

>Your publisher has put in a Rivals FutureCast for 2024 No. 13 Jason Asemota. The small forward from Glendale (AZ) Hillcrest Prep is taking his official visit to Baylor Aug. 26-28. Asemota has said on several occasions the relationship with Scott Drew’s staff has been a differentiator. It would be hard not to see Asemota change direction and go with a different program. Who knows. He may do something while on the visit.

And if I’m saying something without saying something, then I’m saying something without saying something. But you know what I’m saying.

>The rest of the Rivals latest rankings were released during the week. Very little to no change for the 2023 class in terms of ratings. The Bears have 16 of their 24 commits rated at 5.7 and three stars or higher.

MBB: Baylor in the running for Rivals 2024 No. 5 Isaiah Elohim
Top 10 junior Isaiah Elohim is getting interest from all over the country, but he mentioned three programs that stick out to him early on.

Arkansas: “I definitely like their pedigree and coaching experience. Coach (Eric) Musselman has been an NBA coach for about seven years and they have assistant coaches that have been in the NBA. They’re definitely going to teach their players pro stuff.”

Baylor: “They’re such a hard-nosed team. Coach (Scott) Drew will let you do what you want on the offensive end, but you have to lock in on the defensive end, too. That gives you the tenacity that people will want.”

UCLA: “UCLA really helps you play free. Coach (Mick) Cronin really knows how to run a system for you to be great. He teaches you pick-and-roll stuff and how to be a pro, going through the learning curves and stuff like that to help you become a better player. There’s definitely a free nature and style at UCLA that I like a lot.”

On going pro: “I think that my main goal is college for now.”

Visits: “I was planning on going on a visit in August, but that’s not confirmed yet. I’ll probably be visiting UCLA.”
-Travis Graf, National Basketball recruiting analyst

Freeman ready to roll
The 2025 class is presenting some wildly talented options at the wide receiver position. One of those is Richardson Berkner’s Kobi Foreman.

A slender 165 pounds offset by the will to win a catch, Foreman came away from the Baylor July 30 camp with an offer and a growing bond with the staff. It also doesn’t hurt that Baylor running backs coach Justin Johnson went to the same school.

Foreman has offers from Baylor, Texas Tech and UTSA.

“It went better than I expected,’’ Freeman said. “I got a lot of reps in on 1 on 1s got some good advice and coaching from coach baker on how I should do my routes and all-round competition.’’

Foreman is worth tracking because he could play the slot. But he also has time to grow and become a fixture on the outside. He still has three more varsity seasons in front of him.

But what’s makes receivers attractive other than their hands is their will to compete. That means for every ball that comes their way, there better be an attitude to come away with the football against the corner back.

“The ability to win on contested catches is what they liked when they saw my game,’’ Foreman said.

With anyone who has so much recruiting and varsity football in front him, the idea is to not look too far ahead. At the same, the important thing is to build a rapport with a coaching staff to the point where visiting becomes second nature.

“You always be levelheaded and be humbled,’’ Foreman said. “I hope to visit them later on in the year and build a strong bond with them.

Harry in your pocket
Frisco Centennial 2024 running back Harry Stewart wanted to work out in front of the Baylor coaches at the July 30 camp. In some respects, he felt obligated demonstrating that the offer the coaching staff extended during the spring was validated.

“It was great. I gained a better relationship with the coaches and learned a lot,’’ Stewart said. “Working with coach Juice, he just worked with me keeping my head up during footwork and being more quick in my feet.’’

The author of more than 1,800 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns in his first two varsity seasons, Stewart still claims the only two offers from Baylor and Texas A&M. That doesn’t mean that the door is closed to others.

However, the Bears and Aggies are seeing more with him than others are. They would be the leaders at this point. And perhaps the Bears have the edge. That’s not just a line. Let Stewart say it.

“I’m getting to like them more and more,’’ he said. “I feel more a part of that brotherhood they have.”

One part of Stewart’s game to monitor is how much he is involved in the passing attack. He is built somewhat like former Baylor and current Chicago Bear Trestan Ebner. Ebner worked his way into becoming a real threat.

Stewart wants to do that as well. His productivity more than tripled from 2020 to 2021. He caught nine passes in 2020, 28 in 2021.

“I really the way that they use them all over the place, especially from the scrimmage.’’ Stewart said. “They put the running back in a lot of receiving situations which fits some of what I do on offense as well.’’

It’s pretty safe to presume that should the football schedule allow this fall, Stewart will be in attendance at a Baylor home game or two.

Flowers blooms on Baylor
It’s really not a secret anymore that the connection between Baylor and Rivals No. 191 Aaron Flowers is going to the next level.

The Forney 2024 safety had another productive visit with the coaching staff when he attended the camp on July 30.

“I got to learn new things and talk to the coaches and compete,’’ he said. “I learned how to do a better job playing press man. Then I did some different drills. I talked to coach Kevin Curtis. Then I talked to coach Dave Aranda after camp.

“I like Baylor a lot. They’re one of my top choices.’’

But there was more to it with Curtis.

“I like working with him because of how he teaches in a calm manner with positive feedback,’’ he said. “He also pays attention to the small details.’’

Flowers is poised for a big season for the Jackrabbits this fall. He’s already coming off a solid 2021 season where he collected 58 tackles coupled with 10 PBUs and two INTs. He will face some challenges this fall. He’s in a district with some very talented receivers. Two of those will be North Mesquite and TCU commit Cordale Russell and Longview 3-star Jalen Hale.

Flowers may be doing his own adjusting. He’s been going through fall camp playing corner and safety, which is where a good number of his D1 pursuers like him. How much he plays that during the season will be determined.

He got a chance to show of that at Thursday’s scrimmage against Frisco Liberty. Liberty’s coaches didn’t go after him that. Flowers only had one PBU.

Flowers is the No. 16 defensive back in the country and the No. 26 prospect in Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News