ADVERTISEMENT

What was he Thinking? (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The RJB is back. Following a three-week hiatus because of the Baylor football camp schedule, it was time to stand down for a bit and recharge.

This week, we’re going to go a little extreme. A jam and a piece from a 1985 movie in which the score was a masterpiece. You get to pick which one you want to listen to. Maybe it’s both. Maybe it’s neither.

Now, to the jam, The Cranberries were an Irish alternative rock band and were at the height of their popularity in the 1990s. Their lead singer the late Dolores O’Riordan had a unique soprano voice with impeccable range. She was discovered being a solo artist in her Catholic Church.

In 1996, the band actually released an inspiring No. 1 song in which the message was to try and steer youth from any kind of addiction. Critics thought it meant alcohol or drugs. O’Riordan said it could be more than that. The video was a little bizarre so we’re giving you the recording.

As for 1985, the great composer John Berry had one of those title scores that will last for generations. The theme from Out of Africa starts with the short introduction of the strings, followed by low and haunting French horns that immediately transitions you back to the highs of the strings. The RJB picked a video where you could watch the orchestra perform. Personally, it’s a hypnotic watch.

Now, the RJB is a No. 1 fan of the great John Williams. But this Academy Award winning score is extraordinary. That’s why 37 years later, it is what it is.

Enjoy!

We wish you nothing but the best on this Nation’s 246th birthday. The great experiment endures through its trials and tribulations. The year 2022 is no different than say what it was in 1845, the year Texas was admitted to the union.

There’s always a struggle. There’s always a debate. There’s always an extreme point of the view that claims this is as bad or as good as it’s ever been. But let’s face it. Our generation can only relate to what’s happening presently as we’re living through it.

Reading and appreciating history in 1845 or any other year provides just a glimpse. We have an idea from what we have read or seen.

But I do know this: the warts and triumphs are just part of the journey. It will continue long after we’re gone.

As we are in the middle of the recruiting dead period, your publisher is moving toward his vacation week starting next Saturday through July 16. Yes, that means I won’t be there for the Big 12 media days.

This was booked long before the conference announced its media days. Obviously, it adds a new wrinkle as new commissioner Brett Yormack is expected to be at AT&T Stadium. However, it’s not the first time that I haven’t been there for media days. Stephen will be there to cover it.

My plan is to be off the site as much as possible with the exception of adding a piece of content either late in the evening or early in the morning.

As for this week, I will release my ballot that I submitted to the conference for the preseason poll and all-conference teams. The Big 12 should be disclosing the media poll and team either late this week or leading up to media days.

Baylor’s 2023 class stands at 20 commitments – 21 if you count punter/PK Palmer Williams – following three-week run that will never be matched for the foreseeable future.

If you accept 20 and the fact that the coaching staff can take the class to 25 if it wants, you’re in a position to know the coaches have reached a point where they have secured the players they want. Now, it’s about being selective.

There are two decisions coming down on Monday. At 2:00 p.m. New Orleans Edna Karr defensive end Jonathan Bax will make his commitment known. He was committed to Southern Miss on June 12 and then re-opened on June 30. Bax camped at Baylor last week and was offered. Duke has followed up with an offer.

I think that might a little more compressed than usual for Baylor – and Baylor knows how to tighten the window for offering and closing within a couple of weeks – so we’ll see what happens.

The interesting angle to watch is what this means for Garland Lakeview defensive end Trey Wilson. He took an official visit last week. The Bears are favored here. But he hasn’t announced anything on when he plans to make his commitment decision.

If Bax commits to Baylor it doesn’t mean that the Bears are out of the running for Wilson. His commitment would give them four defensive linemen for this class. Wilson is one where you are willing to wait.

If Bax commits elsewhere, then there’s a stronger indication Wilson commits to Baylor. Other services favor Baylor over Michigan in this race.

Then at 4:00 p.m. Baylor will know where it stands with 4-star offensive lineman Isaiah Robinson from Arlington Lamar. Robinson took his OV to Baylor on June 17. The decision to commit is different than what he shared with us a couple of weeks ago. Remember, he thought he would take an OV to Howard and then decide in the fall.

Well, that all changed because Baylor was running out of spots. It has added three linemen within the last three weeks between Wes Tucker, Sean Thompkins and Calvin Clements. The convenience of a fourth spot opened when Justin DeLeon de-committed a couple of days ago.

I think Baylor is the choice. Keep in mind, I made my FutureCast pick on him June 21. Our regional analyst Nick Harris made his pick for Baylor this past Thursday.

If Baylor nets one or both, this class is down to three or four spots.

What’s left is probably another wide receiver – they only have one in Micah Gifford but keep in mind what’s already one the roster – and maybe another linebacker. This class should be done in the secondary, tight end and running back. The trenches are filled depending on what happens Monday.

Potential medical retirements notwithstanding, I don’t believe that would be the reason for Baylor to go to 25. Remember, it can use the portal in selective fashion like it has in the previous two seasons.

Starting Tuesday, the Baylor men’s basketball team is in Toronto for the inaugural GLOBL JAM, a partnership between the Canada Basketball and the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

The tournament is Tuesday-Sunday at the Mattamy Athletic Centre. The Under-23 tournament features teams from the United States, Canada, Italy and Brazil.

Baylor's first game will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday against Italy. The Bears will then take on Canada at 8 p.m. on Wednesday and will wrap up pool play against Brazil at 1 p.m. on Thursday. Men's semifinal games will be July 9 at 1 p.m. and 8 p.m., and the men's Gold Medal Game is July 10 at 6 p.m. Good test for this roster to get to know each other early.

Let’s make it a great week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News