ADVERTISEMENT

What was he Thinking? (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
The RJB is here to help. You're driving in your car listening to that song or walking with your headphones on listening to that song. You can't quite make out that one line. You've heard it thousands of times, rewound it, played it again and then given up in instant irritation because you can't understand what was sung.

Probably the one that gets us all is the one that came out 42 years ago. It might win the award for most inaudible line in a song ever. Now, we can provide the clarity.

Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone

Of course, when the term, "Rocket Man'' was used on the leader of North Korea recently, don't think for one second all or us or many of us immediately went to that song and kinda got a giggle out of it.

So here it is from Sir Elton John.

Since we’re at the bye of the 2017 football schedule, later in the week, we’ll get into what has transpired through the first five weeks of Baylor’s season. Really, I think the frustrations of what has taken place really need to recede. It also might be good to get away from things for a couple of days to recharge.

You’re not offending me if you go on the down low for a little bit. We all need to leave it all behind. Baylor needs to the recharge. This team needs to take down time. It’s frustrating. Baylor is 0-5 for the first time since 1978.

That’s not an honor anyone wants to lay claim to. I’m going to sound like a broken record detailing the reasons why. But if it helps, the Bears have played 15 true freshmen from this 2017 class. Surprisingly, that’s not the most of any program in the country. It’s the eighth most. The Bears have also played 21 first-time starters.

Those are ginormous factors for a season that’s going to finish pretty ugly for this team. Those and no one in reserve from a bona fide redshirt program because the talented half of the 2016 class took off and major recruiting misses from 2015 and really from 2014 that have conspired to this.

I said my peace about what I thought about the Kansas State game and how there were opportunities and how Baylor made the worst mistake at the wrong time. Struggling teams just find a way to do that.

But I have a theory that I want to get into because it’s been bugging me over the last several days. I really believe that the caliber of football being played right now is not very good. This isn’t a Baylor issue. This is a football at all levels issue.

I think the fundamentals are average at best. I think the IQ amongst is players is pretty low. I think the athleticism that we’re seeing out there is far better than it’s ever been. We just don’t have a unification of the two.

Why is that?

Concussions.

Rightfully so, the attention this injury has summoned over the roughly previous five years has been warranted. We’re learning about how this can have long-term effects well after playing days have finished. Depression and suicidal thoughts and going through with those thoughts are two aspects that have surfaced.

Parents are concerned. They want their sons to live long and productive lives. They don’t want their lives potentially ruined. Of course, for those living in very poor socioeconomic conditions, a football scholarship may be their only way out.

Football has tried to react and reduce the odds of those injuries occurring. At the high school level, baseline tests are administered to determine how a player is before a concussion and then can measure the results should he be suffering concussion-type symptoms.

At all levels, contact in practice is reduced to the point where it’s non-existent. Years before concussions became mainstream talk, coaches started cutting back on contact in practice because they wanted a fresher team at the end of the season.

Regardless, the Big 12 is limiting contact to twice a week. One of those is the game. That rule went into effect in 2015.

A new form of tackling is being introduced to change the strike zone and get the head out of the game.

However, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Football is like baseball, basketball and anything else. It’s a repetition sport. The more you do something, the more polished you become at it.

You’ve read stories about quarterbacks throwing to receivers hundreds of times on a random day in the middle of May. They don’t do it because they’re bored. They do it because familiarity breeds results and muscle memory.

Blocking and tackling, the essence of the game, are the same way. But if you’re doing it only once a week for basically 24 times in a season and reduced finite times in the spring and fall camps, it can have a drawback. Sure, coaches can mock show it and walk players through the fundamentals. But that has its limits.

This is why the caliber of the game is not very good, especially on the defensive side. I have no qualms with the idea that endless hours of film study will train a player’s eyes to recognize something during a game and react accordingly. How he executes is another matter.

The muscle memory isn’t sharp. Instead of fundamentally wrapping up or using the form that’s been instructed, the player hasn’t done it enough to instinctively do it. Therefore six-yard plays could go for 60.

Baylor coach Matt Rhule talked last week at his presser that he didn’t like the tackling by his team. I don’t think he’s the only one saying that.

I believe that this contributes to plays being made in space with huge chunks of yards and points being scored at alarming rates.

Teaching the strike zone is going to be important to the future of the game. I think we’re at the beginning of that infiltrating its way into the game. It’s going to take a few years for that to catch up.

Having said that, it’s success is going to depend on muscle memory. That’s the paradox. If you’re not out there doing it routinely, it’s not going to look very good on the weekend. I’m not advocating the return to increased contact during the week. I just don’t know if we’re ever going to get to a point where the fundamentals will ever be as valued as they used to because of where we are today in this game.

We mentioned the 2016 no shows, let’s give you an update as to how those seven have done so far in their new location.

>Parrish Cobb, DB, Waco La Vega (Oklahoma): Cobb is no longer with Oklahoma after being arrested twice earlier in 2017 for taking part in armed robbery incidents. Those took place in January and April. In June, he was indicted for the alleged crime in January that included at least three armed robberies.

>Brandon Bowen, DE, Trophy Club Byron Nelson (TCU): Bowen is out for the 2017 season following shoulder surgery. Bowen battled injuries in 2016.

>Kameron Martin, RB, Port Arthur Memorial (Auburn): Martin is the second-leading rusher for the Tigers at 210 yards. He also has a 61-yard touchdown run. He rushed for 320 yards in 2016.

>J.P. Urquidez, OL, Copperas Cove (Texas): Urquidez redshirted in 2016 and made his 2017 Texas debut against San Jose State on Sept. 9.

>Patrick Hudson, OL, Silsbee (Texas): He will miss the 2017 because of a torn ACL. He redshirted in 2016 and then appeared this year against Maryland and San Jose State. Hudson suffered the injury against San Jose State.

>Donovan Duvernay, DB, Sachse (Texas): Donovan redshirted in 2016 and has yet to see any action in 2017.

>Devin Duvernay, WR, Sachse (Texas): Devin has appeared in the first four games catching two passes for 21 yards. In 2016, he played in all 12 and made two starts. He was 20-412 3TD. The yardage was second on the team. The scores tied for the team lead.

Assessment: How they would have meshed at Baylor we’ll never know. But they were the key components to a class that had the makings of being arguably the best in school history. Would they have been better off coming to Baylor? You can argue that. But the fear of the unknown drove all this.

>Of course, it’s a less is more situation with Cobb.

>Very unfortunate breaks for Bowen and Hudson. For Bowen, it’s not surprising. He dealt with injuries when he was at Byron Nelson.

>No one should be surprised by Donovan Duvernay. He and his brother were a package deal. Devin Duvernay’s performance has pretty much been underwhelming to this point.

>Urquidez is your quintessential redshirt freshman just trying to find a way to get on the field. Maybe he earns more opportunity as the season, his play and attrition evolve.

>Martin appears to be having the most success as he serves as a backup. He’s getting playing time and contributing to the Tigers who appear to be in line to have a pretty good 2017.

Now a look at other Baylor sports…

>The Baylor cross country women's team notched a top-10 finish for the second consecutive year while the men placed 19th at the Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational Friday afternoon at the Burke Golf Course in South Bend, Ind.

The Bears will compete in the Aggieland Open on Oct. 6 in College Station, Texas.

>Baylor women’s golf is in ninth place after shooting 14-over-par 302 in Sunday’s first round of the ANNIKA Intercollegiate at Olympic Hills Golf Club.

>Baylor soccer (7-3-2, 1-2-1) took another strong advantage in shots and offensive pressure, but a late run and header goal lifted No. 19 Oklahoma State (10-1-2, 3-0-0) over the Bears, 1-0, in the 98th minute at Cowgirl Soccer Complex. Baylor is home to play Texas Tech at 7:00 p.m. Friday.

>Baylor volleyball (13-4, 3-1 Big 12) bounced back from a loss to Texas and posted a 3-1 victory over Oklahoma (3-14, 0-3) to add to their eight-match home winning streak Saturday afternoon at the Ferrell Center, 25-10, 19-25, 25-14, 25-23. Baylor travels to No. 18 Iowa State Wednesday for a 6:30 p.m. match.

Let’s make it a great week!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mar.Gen.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News