ADVERTISEMENT

What was he Thinking? (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Through time, the great philosophers always examined life and offered a perspective that gave clarity and made sense of what was difficult to understand.

You know who they were: Plato, Aristotle, Socrates and Confucius. These and others were revered for their unparalleled wisdom.

However, they lacked the simplicity of Jack Hues and Nick Feldman. Pray tell, you don’t know who these two are? Well, where you have been. Back about 30 years ago, they came up with a drilled down yet very riveting phrase that made the RJB even bow in respect.

Yes, the duo that formed the 1980s New Wave group Wang Chung told us all:

Everybody have fun tonight!

Everybody Wang Chung tonight!

In football, the head coach and quarterback are Siamese twins. They are together. They are inseparable. The fortunes of the team rise and fall through their relationship. Faithful followers either embrace it or endure it.

To change this relationship, there has to be a very delicate surgical procedure performed. When Baylor head coach Matt Rhule announced on Aug. 29 that senior grad transfer Anu Solomon would be his starting quarterback for the season opener against Liberty, it raised eyebrows and drew some dismay.

You could have fooled me. I’ll go back to what I watched in the spring game on April 22 and did my summation of the quarterback situation. This is what I wrote:

“…If Zach Smith is not the starting quarterback for this team on Sept. 2 against Liberty because of a non-injury reason, then we have a big problem for this fall.

After a bumpy start, Smith settled in and had command of the offense. Gimpy ankle and all, Smith moved pretty well especially when he was backpedaling. Now, he has more time to get that wheel 100 percent. His deep ball wasn’t great. I think the ankle had something to do with that because when you’re trying to push off on that throw, you need your feet. Other than that, he wasn’t outplayed. Smith was 17-30-0 with 162 yards

I didn’t think very much of Anu Solomon (7-14-0 86). Nothing stands out with his arm. He did make the best throw of the day with about 20-yard strike in the fourth quarter. Threaded the needle. Even he said he thought he was just OK. But with quarterbacks, you either know if you have a competition or you don’t. I really don’t think Baylor has one. Rhule probably wants to leave the door open because he may want to have the grad transfer feel like he’s not wasting his time coming here. Solomon is a solid backup. He will bridge the gap to what Baylor needs in 2018 and beyond.”

So when Liberty happened, I was probably more stunned with what I saw…after the first possession. I didn’t flinch with his 14-29 because four drops skewed his performance. I thought, ‘Ok, if he can do this, then maybe there’s a chance it can continue and this will be the right decision for what Rhule wants to do.’’ Maybe the magic from Arizona had returned. Solomon had my attention.

And then Saturday against UTSA happened. Every fiber I had of anticipation was pretty much dissolved by the second quarter. I felt like I was watching the spring game again. Only this time, Saturday counted.

Solomon has had all but two snaps as Baylor’s starting quarterback through these first two games. Scroll up. There’s a big problem this fall.

There’s no argument about having an inexperienced offensive line. It can make any quarterback look bad. He doesn’t have the time to get the offense in rhythm. He’s running for his life. If his receivers are dropping passes, that doesn’t help either.

However, you have several factors to know if you have a quarterback that has “it”.

>He has command of the huddle.

>He walks to the line of scrimmage in control even if he doesn’t look like it.

>His arm makes all the throws.

>He never appears flustered.

>His mechanics are sound.

On Saturday, I witnessed little of that. I’ll give a little gray area to the first factor. When Rhule was asked in the postgame presser if the team still believed in Solomon, Rhule said this:

“You know I don’t know that. I went over and challenged him at one point in the game…I think so. They fight for him. Practice for him…I don’t think Anu played a great game either.”

Now, I took out a couple of other comments in Rhule’s quote with the ... In essence, I think Rhule was scrambling to come up with the words to make the best of what is a problem for this team.

The guy he named as the starting quarterback for this team should not be the starting quarterback for this team moving forward. I’m over it in terms of the rationale that Solomon’s mobility to sidestep defensive rushers gives him the advantage. I’m also over it in terms of Solomon’s dual-threat ability being a better fit for what this offense is supposed to look like.

To be fair, I really understood those points going into Liberty.

However, here’s what UTSA yielded:

Passing: 10-26-1 121 1 TD

Rushing: 10-9

Sacks: 4

Hurries: 4

Rhule also talked about playing winning football and how his team didn’t do that. Winning football is about winning on third down. Through the first two games, Baylor is 6-of-23 on that crucial play. That’s 26 percent. That’s not winning football.

That’s why it’s time to make the change from Solomon to Zach Smith. This will not save the season. All of the sudden, the Bears won’t go from afterthought to bowl game contender with this move.

But if you want to get something out of your season – even if it means that Smith isn’t the future – that shouldn’t matter at this point. This is about keeping the line moving and keeping players interested and invested.

Given the aforementioned productivity and that Baylor lost the two games on its schedule that most believed were sure wins, I’m not sure where else Rhule turns. Solomon is done after this year. Charlie Brewer is in the wings. Baylor is hoping it can get Earle (AR) Gerry Bohanon. Rhule said that he would look at the film and then decide what he wanted to do for Saturday at Duke. I can’t imagine the film made it look any better. Smith is the better option.

Here’s the other thing. Smith is the incumbent and has a history with several of the receivers, such as Chris Platt and Denzel Mims. Solomon has had only months. How those reps were distributed during the spring is anybody’s guess. It’s a moot point now. You would think there would be better chemistry between Smith and the receivers, despite the change in the offense.

I said on Sunday that the change should have been made at the half against the Roadrunners. Heck, the Houston Texans changed quarterbacks in the second half of their game against Jacksonville. They went from Tom Savage to No. 1 draft choice Deshaun Watson. The Texans still lost, 29-7. But Watson offered some good moments.

Timing of this decision shouldn’t matter either. Going on the road to Duke is daunting. Well, Smith had to take over for Seth Russell in Norman, OK last year. He also started at West Virginia. After Duke is a visit from No. 2 Oklahoma. Then the Bears have to go back on the road to Kansas State.

This is a beleaguered team. Getting up and coming to work each day becomes a little tougher. Rhule and his staff know that. Of course, it’s Rhule’s decision. If Solomon gets Duke then he does. I don’t think Solomon will have earned it; however, that’s not my decision. That said, I don’t think the leash is long. If this offense sputters early, then Smith will enter the game. If Rhule goes to Smith during the week or during the game, it could give the locker room a lift, even if it isn’t a sustained one. This program just needs to feel good about itself. It doesn't right now.

Rule No. 1 in sports is to find a way to win and identify the elements that will give a team the best chance to do that. We reach the quarter pole of the 2017 season this Saturday. It’s not too early to make this change. It could be too late if it isn’t made.

Grades for UTSA
Quarterback:
F = The performance speaks for itself
Running back: C = Fly sweeps are fun; have to be consistent in the A gaps
Wide receiver: C = Denzel Mims growing up
Offensive line: D = Anu Solomon was under duress all night
Defensive line: C+ = Better but couldn't get UTSA off the field; allowed 220 rushing yards
Linebackers: C = Clay Johnston is developing; defense has still not forced a turnover
Secondary: C = Nothing extraordinary but it was good to have Davion Hall back
Special teams: B = Drew Galitz is a weapon; coverage teams were very good

Other thoughts…

>Today, we remember the 16th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on our country with Twin Towers in New York, the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and the field in Pennsylvania. It was a Tuesday morning that changed our lives forever. We'll never forget. I have a dual memory of this day. My late father Vincent was a Sept. 11 baby. He turned 78 on that fateful day.

>The Hurricane season reached its peak on Sept. 10. Our country has seen history with the landfall of two Category 4 storms (Harvey and Irma) striking us. When you watch the clips from Irma, it just sucks the oxygen out of you just like Harvey did. The good news is that it appears Hurricane Jose, which is located in the Atlantic Ocean, may soon be pushed further away from the United States.

I hate to say it, but it always takes something traumatic to unite this country. The vitriol we witnessed for the last eight months is still out there. By comparison now, it’s a murmur. The selflessness of Federal, state and local officials and just people from all around the country with fund raisers, donations and helping in rescues shows the best in people. That’s where our focus needs to be..ALL THE TIME!

>The NFL season started over the weekend. I can’t explain it but outside of the Vikings and watching the Cowboys, I really have little interest in this league. Maybe I’m just too invested and enjoying the high school and college game. I watched a little of Seattle at Green Bay. Bad game. Dallas and the New York Giants wasn't anything easy on the eyes. However, I do like watching good defense. Dallas' has a chance to be pretty good.

>The Big 12 got a huge credibility lift Saturday with TCU winning at Arkansas and Oklahoma winning at Ohio State. I don’t believe in style points in wins. Ws are Ws. But since a lot of people do, the Horned Frogs and Sooners dominated in two difficult places to win. You know who else is excited? Bob Bowlsby. The Big 12 commissioner can exhale and feel good knowing that his conference is right in the middle of the college football playoff race instead of thinking, 'Not Again!". There are more tests this week when Texas visits USC and Oklahoma State visits Pittsburgh.

>Do not panic about Baylor 2018 commits getting cold feet and looking to flee. Just look at the team rankings and see how many P5 programs have slots filled. Most of them are in double digits. Several are close to being full. Things can change, but you’re not going to get a lot of movement until much later in the recruiting process. I could see Baylor losing a player or two.

I know more people are concerned about what this could mean for Baylor landing Bohanon. I have every reason to believe that Baylor laid it out in every term about where it is, where it wants to go and how Bohanon can be a big part of it. Just ask yourself how many times you read recruits joining new coaching staffs and speaking about being a part of the turnaround. Just remember, that’s where Baylor is. It’s turning itself around, regardless of what happened from 2010-2016.

Now, a look at other Baylor sports

>Baylor volleyball (6-3) didn't flinch as it stormed back from a 2-0 deficit to upset 10th-ranked BYU in five sets Saturday night at the Stan Sheriff Center, 21-25, 22-25, 25-18, 28-26, 15-10 in the Outrigger Resorts Volleyball Challenge.

The Bears earn their first top-10 win since BU upset No. 9 UCLA in the NCAA Tournament on Dec. 5, 2009 and first regular season top-10 win since Sept. 24, 2003 (No. 9 Kansas State). Baylor had lost to Hawaii on Friday but defeated Nevada in the opener on Thursday.

The Bears return to the mainland to host LSU Wednesday at 7 p.m. CT at the Ferrell Center.

>Baylor soccer (5-1-1) dropped its first decision of the season, falling in a 1-0 defensive slugfest with the Washington Huskies (6-2-0) on Sunday afternoon at Merlo Field.

Closing out the team’s run at the Nike Portland Invitational, a penalty kick in the 47th minute proved to be the difference maker, giving UW the win.

Baylor will face SMU in Dallas on Sunday, Sept. 17, at 8:30 p.m. CT.

>Baylor cross country travels to Denton to compete at the Ken Garland Invitational on Sept. 16.

>Baylor men’s golf is in second place with play suspended in the second of three rounds at the Gopher Invite. The Bears shot 1-under-par 283 in Sunday’s first round and are 5-over with two holes remaining in the second round at Windsong Farm Golf Club.

Teams will return to the course at 8:30 a.m. Monday to finish their second rounds, and the final round will begin with a 9 a.m. shotgun start. BU (+4) is three shots back of Arkansas (+1) and four shots in front of third-place Oklahoma (+8). Michigan State (+10) and Charlotte (+13) round out the top five, followed by Kent State (+14), Pepperdine (+15), Purdue (+15), Arizona State (+16), Minnesota (+16), Virginia Tech (+18), Iowa (+21), Penn State (+21), San Diego State (+21), New Mexico (+29) and St. John’s of Minnesota (+64).

Let’s make it a great week!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News