ADVERTISEMENT

Reviewing this historic recruiting run (RECRUITING NOTEBOOK)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Unprecedented

When your publisher was interviewed this week by the Waco Tribune-Herald about this incredible commitment run that Baylor has been on – 11 commitments in 17 days and eight beginning June 20 – I tried to compare this to another great run.

Go back to the 2014 class (2013). Between May 2 through June 11, the Bears also collected 11 commitments. The signature players were defensive back Jourdan Blake, offensive lineman Blake Blackmar, tight end Jourdan Feuerbacher and wide receiver Ish Zamora.

That’s the only one that comes close. However, that run nine years ago doesn’t rival the caliber of prospect Baylor has secured for this 2023. Baylor has added two four stars in linebacker Corey Kelly and defensive back Tay’Shawn Wilson.

That 2014 class finished with a respectable No. 35 national ranking. The 2023 class – currently No. 5 and just passed Texas Tech and the highest I have ever seen Baylor ranked this far along into a recruiting cycle - has a chance to be in the Top 20. Don't forget, I have a FutureCast for Lawrence (KS) offensive tackle Calvin Clements who is scheduled to make his announcement on Thursday.

The Big Easy
Baylor is getting close to filling its defensive line needs for the 2023 class. It could be finished by the end of this week or in the near future.

But in the meantime, the staff offered New Orleans St. Augustine 2023 edge Jahrie Garner following the June 17 camp.

The very thin prospect did not play in 2021 because he was ineligible changing schools. He had to make up for lost time by showcasing his talents in the spring and attending camps.

Baylor was one of them. While he could play outside linebacker – he is expected to play that position for St. Augustine this coming fall - the Bears chose to work him out on the front.

“Coaches made sure everyone had equal reps and everyone just had fun. One of the best camps I have been to,’’ he said. “I learned that keeping a great base is essential while playing in the trenches. Keeping strong in the legs and being violent with your hands is how you make plays on the field.’’

The question for the Baylor staff is if its defensive line needs are met, could Garner be considered for linebacker. Nothing has been discussed about an official visit. If it came to that, it would be in the season or possibly Decemeber.

“They loved how explosive I was coming outta my stance,’’ he said. “They loved how I finished every drill and kept the other players going and showed them I could play on that level.’’

Garner has offers from Colorado, Louisiana and Florida International. Time will tell where this goes.

Notables
>Texas Tech defensive 2023 line commit and Rivals No. 148 Isaiah Crawford, who canceled his OV at Baylor this past weekend, said he has no plans to visit Baylor at all.

>Prized 2024 defensive back prospect and Rivals No. 191 Aaron Flowers from Forney said he will camp at Baylor July 30. The same goes for Rivals No. 138 and 4-star running back Jeremy Payne will also be at the camp.

>A 2024 DB to watch is Texarkana Pleasant Grove’s Ahkari Johnson. He attended the June 17 camp. While Baylor has not offered – UTSA is his only offer to this point – he gained invaluable experience working with the staff. He also came to Baylor in May for a recruiting event with other 2024s and 2025s.

“I lost a couple of reps in 1v1,’’ he said. “But I do think I did really good in the drills and finished every rep.’’

Texarkana OL talks offer
Caleb Hackleman
took part in the June 17 camp at Baylor and came away with an offer.

The 2024 offensive tackle from Texarkana Pleasant Grove has started to pick up some momentum. The Bears and Texas Tech are the first two to offer him.
“It was a great camp. Baylor has always been one of my favorite camps,’’ Hackleman said. “The way that the coaches treated us is second to none.

“I would say I got some fixes to my form from Coach Eric Mateos. They like me at tackle.”

Hackleman is a repeat customer. He attended the 2021 camp as he was just breaking on to the varsity scene. Crossing over the Brazos is a vision he won’t soon forget.

With two more years to play, there’s more to do.

“I use my length to my advantage and play aggressive,’’ he said. “I would say my hips coming through on run blocks is a thing I need it improve on.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News