ADVERTISEMENT

Lumberton 2024 Edge Jackson appreciates Baylor's history (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

History can be the greatest teacher. For Lumberton 2024 linebacker/defensive end Brock Jackson, Baylor’s history is an even better tutor.

“I grew up loving Baylor and my grandma would always take me to Waco,’’ Jackson said. “My Grandma and Grandpa graduated from there, and she loves the Campus. I’m looking forward to coming back.’’

Whenever he returns to Baylor as a recruit, it will be his first visit in that capacity. Baylor recently offered the rising defensive stopper. With a frame like he has, Jackson presents the perfect setup for the Bears coaching staff to place him at the Jack position. Obviously, he has ways to go. Becoming more and more familiar with the staff and developing a relationship with them is the foundation. That’s just the beginning.

“I thought it was amazing because that’s always been my dream position,’’ Jackson said of the coaches telling him he’d be a fit at the Jack. “I am very explosive off the edge, and I can drop in the flats is needed.’’

Baylor is one the first five to offer Jackson. However, they are just one of two P5 offers. The other is Texas Tech. Indeed, he could be one of those who will benefit from the forthcoming summer camp season.

Jackson enjoyed a strong sophomore campaign in 2024 to where he became a prospect because of his skill set, productivity and size. Jackson collected 74 tackles (40 solo) and had 16 tackles for loss. He also led the team in sacks with five and then forced four fumbles.

“My strengths are pass rushing and reading the run game. My weaknesses are reading the QB’s eyes and dropping into passes,’’ Jackson said. “I think my game took off in 2021 because of my ability to fly around to the ball for sure.”

Jackson knows there is a long way to go in his recruitment process. More programs will likely get involved. There will be a lot of information to process.

Baylor has shown the interest between his conversations with quarterbacks coach Shawn Bell and defensive line coach Dennis Johnson who have been talking with him quite a bit and recruit southeast Texas. Lumberton is just north of Beaumont. Both have been by to see him during the May evaluation period.

“I’ve talked to coach Johnson and coach Bell,’’ he said. “They have both been very easy to talk to and made me feel like I was talking to someone I’ve known for years.”

Jackson has no official rating from Rivals.

Reactions: efernandez14
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News