ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Mineola 2023 Ath Dawson Pendergrass commits to Baylor; No. 10 (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

He remained quiet throughout his recruitment. But Dawson Pendergrass’ affinity for Baylor never wavered.

The 2023 Mineola athlete has not been one of those recruits who showed his interest by attending every Baylor event that he could. He wasn’t around for spring practices. Pendergrass didn’t attend the Spring Football game.

et when it came time for the May evaluation period, things took a turn for the better. When Baylor coaches came by, Pendergrass had their ear and vice versa.

Now, he’s the 10th member of the 2023 class.

“We have just been talking a lot over the past couple of weeks,’’ Pendergrass said. “And I’ve talking with my family and I just came to the conclusion that Baylor is the only place I wanna be at.’’

Expect Pendergrass to be a running back and possibly used in third-down situations with the ability to slot out and play receiver. This doesn’t necessarily mean Baylor’s running back recruitment has concluded. But the athleticism adds to the package.

“They want me as a running back and that is my favorite position,’’ he said. “That’s really the only position that’s been discussed.’’

That’s putting it mildly. Pendergrass put together a phenomenal 2021 season rushing for 1,987 yards and 25 scores and added 356 receiving yards four more scores.

A lifer on the varsity, Pendergrass has amassed more than 4,200 rushing yards and nearly 1,100 yards. Tack on 65 offensive touchdowns.

And at this lower level of Texas High School football, a player of his caliber doesn’t come off the field. In 2020 he collected three Pick6s.

“Our relationship got a lot stronger these past couple of weeks,’’ said Pendergrass who was recruited by offensive line coach Eric Mateos. “I haven’t really talked to [running backs coach Justin Johnson]. But I’m excited to.’’

Pendergrass’ offer list was a mixed bag. There were G5 programs along with several P5s including Arkansas, Texas Tech and Indiana.

While those programs had something to offer, Pendergrass never took his eye off Baylor.

“No one really has been at a point where I considered them strongly,’’ he said. “Baylor has always been No. 1.”

And while the visits weren’t recent, he was pretty active in the fall attending several games including Texas. He also went to the junior day on Jan. 30. He plans to take his official to Baylor in June. The tentative weekend is the June 10.

A three-star recruit, Pendergrass has a 5.5 rating.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News