ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING - Alabama 2022 QB Zach Pyron commits to Baylor - No. 7 (STORY POSTED/UPDATED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Alabama QB ready to visit Baylor
The situation between Baylor and Pinson Valley (AL) 2022 quarterback Zach Pyron moved into warp speed.
After a couple of weeks of discussions, the Bears offered the rising signal caller. On Thursday, he and his family drove to Waco to check out a place that could be a future home. His plan is to be in Waco through Sunday. This is a recruit-driven visit.

Baylor made its push. Pyron responded. He announced on social media Friday that he had committed to Baylor. He is the No. 7 commit for the 2022 class.

“I know a lot about Baylor, and they really impress me,’’ Pyron said before he committed. “I’m extremely excited about the offer. I really like the school in itself and I like the offense Coach [Jeff] Grimes is bringing in. and I like what Coach [Dave] Aranda is doing with the team.’’

Pyron has been talking Grimes, Aranda and QB coach Shawn Bell. Of course, Baylor’s interest went to another level when Austin Westlake’s Cade Klubnik committed to Clemson. But that’s recruiting. Actually being at Baylor in person was enough for him.

"Just seeing the campus in person and seeing how genuine everyone is did it,'' Pyron said. "We took a tour of the whole campus and saw some of [McLane] Stadium and went to the [Baylor-Memphis] baseball game.''

Shortly after offering him, Pyron took a virtual tour on Monday. The staff relayed how it was impressed with how he threw on the run and his overall ball placement.

“They have a very explosive offense and they do things in very creative ways and that excites me,’’ he said. “I throw really well outside the pocket but I also am comfortable at making any throw from inside the pocket and I also feel that I have a good run game. I’m working on all my pre-snap reads and just developing my game mentally.’’

Pyron is coming off a pretty impressive season where he threw for about 2,500 yards and 30 touchdowns. He also rushed for 500 yards and eight other scores. He completed 72 percent of his passes. Pyron directed Pinson Valley to the 2020 Alabama Class 6A state championship throwing a pair of touchdowns. It was the program’s third championship in the last four seasons.

Baylor and Kansas State are his only P5 offers to this point. However, he said he has been talking with Indiana, Mississippi State and Michigan State.

“I was expecting an [Baylor] offer I just didn’t know when it would come,’’ Pyron said. “I love that it is a Christian University and how they set up the classes for the student-athletes.’’

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News