ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Coaches Corner (Sept. 19, 2017)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Each week, the Big 12 coaches meet with the media on Monday of game week via the Big 12 coaches call or Monday press conference to discuss the week that was and the upcoming week. Baylor Head Coach Matt Rhule's comments were posted earlier. Rankings are from the AP and Coaches polls.

David Beaty, Kansas – The Jayhawks (1-2) play host to West Virginia on Saturday: With the efficient Will Grier from West Virginia coming to Lawrence on Saturday, that doesn’t bode well for the KU back line. All four starters are new. KU is 124th in passing efficiency defensive and 112th in total defense. Opponents are already at 891 passing yards. Kansas has created only one turnovers.

Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma – The No. 3 Sooners (3-0) play at Baylor Saturday: Not sure how this works, but defensive lineman Du’Vonta Lampkin did not play against UTEP and Tulane with what was called an academic issue. However, he was OK to play in the second game, the win at Ohio State. Riley said Lampkin should play for the rest of the season, barring injury…OU is expected to move into its new practice fields at the end of this month. For the most part, Oklahoma has been practicing on the rugby fields that was by the OU complex where the soccer team plays.

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State – The No. 6/7 Cowboys play host to TCU Saturday: Senior quarterback Mason Rudolph is off to an incredible start this year. The 378.3 yards passing per game are ranks 4th in Division I college football. Gundy said, "He understands everything like a coach. He wants to play this game for 20 more years. When you're that committed to something in life, it's extremely difficult not to have success."

Bill Snyder, Kansas State – The Wildcats (2-1) have a bye this week: After two big wins to start the season, KSU derailed in a 14-7 loss at Vanderbilt. The offense really struggled. QB Jesse Ertz did not throw for 100 yards. “It puts us back at square one, really,” Snyder said. “I thought our receivers, both in the running game and the passing game, in Week 1 and Week 2 really had very fine performances. To move in the totally opposite direction Saturday was really quite a setback.”

Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia – The Mountaineers (2-1) play at Kansas Saturday: Holgorsen was complimentary of Kansas saying the Jayhawks were a couple of plays away from being a 3-0 team rather than a 1-2 squad. But given what we shared above about Kansas’ pass defense, WVU’s Will Grier will have his opportunities. He’s second to UCLA’s Josh Rosen with 11 touchdown passes thus far.

Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech – The Red Raiders (2-0) play at Houston Saturday: Kingsbury’s coaching career comes full circle Saturday when he returns to Lubbock. He began as quality control offensive assistant in 2008-09 at Houston. Now, this is in an interesting matchup with two undefeated teams. “I have a lot of great memories, and I have a ton of respect for that university,” Kingsbury said. “I owe that university a lot for giving me an opportunity to start my career there. Loved my time there. Some of the most fun I’ve ever had coaching. Working with Case Keenum, that group in 2011. So, yeah, can’t say enough great things about the university, about the people there and my time at UH.”

Matt Campbell, Iowa State – The Cyclones (2-1) have a bye this week: Turning the running game over to David Montgomery has been smoother than anticipated. He’s averaging 107 yards per game and has four of the six rushing touchdowns so far. "He's the catalyst for what we are offensively," Campbell said. "He practices that way every day. Our kids have really taken to that. He's been a catalyst in this program. That has really drawn and gotten the most out of himself and his teammates."

Gary Patterson, TCU – The No. 15/16 Horned Frogs (3-0) play at Oklahoma State on Saturday: While QB Kenny Hill currently ranks 7th among Big 12 quarterbacks in yardage, he’s only had to throw 84 passes. That may change Saturday in Stillwater against the Cowboys. “Quarterbacks that come into the system, they judge everything by yardage,’’ Patterson said. “I think what Kenny has learned here is that we’re going to try to do whatever game plan we’ve got to do to win ballgames.’’

Tom Herman, Texas – The Longhorns (1-2) have a bye: Wide receiver Armanti Foreman has a wrist injury and should be back at practice by next week. Texas’ running game took a serious blow when All-American tackle Connor Williams went down to a left knee injury. Surgery is expected to soon to repair the sprained medial and posterior ligaments and a torn meniscus. Herman said he won’t know how much time Williams will miss until after surgery. Former Baylor signee Patrick Hudson is already done for the year with a torn ACL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News