ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor HC Matt Rhule - Big 12 Coaches Call Segment prior to Oklahoma

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Baylor HC Matt Rhule

On GameDay coming and the Bump in recruiting interest: People were excited and now even moreso. They saw the progress and the improvements. They liked us before but maybe weren’t sure. Now, they can see we’re trending in that direction.

GameDay was at Temple. This is a nice celebration of the university and Waco. People can see what a beautiful place this is.

On James Lynch: He’s become a dominant player. He’s one of the leaders on the team. He never misses anything. He gets a lot of sacks and he’s doing that because he’s always double teamed on a 3-man front. He’s relentless and tenacious. He’s a blessing to have ever since we first got him.

On winning close games: We’re just a tough group of guys. We’ve only two P5 games by more than 10 points. Guys like competition and the battle. We were one play away from losing [at TCU]. No one panicked. We can play to expect to win. We just do more and more each and every week.

On 2-3 major points of building: No. 1 find the right people and coaches and recruit the right people. It’s not about talent to me but about toughness. You need tough coaches. No. 2 Patience. When we started 0-5 at Temple, Dick Vermeil called me and said trust yourself and your staff. Just be patient. Don’t sway with the wind. Build something block at a time.

On having consistent QB play: If you have a guy you trust – the CEO of your organization – you can be good. We have two great backups we know we can win with.

On OU WR Ceedee Lamb: He’s an outstanding player. Great ball skills. His yards after catch is elite. I have a lot of respect for how hard he plays. He’s a true competitor.

On the Defense: Have to give credit to [DC] Phil Snow and the defensive staff. We make no excuses. We just play at a high level. Then it’s the way we practice. The 1s and 2s get equal reps. We practice the 3s just as hard. You can be out of the depth chart now and then we could be counting on you in weeks 7-8-9. There’s the constant pressure to perform. But this is all about the players stepping up. When something goes wrong, they don’t panic. They keep going.

On the playoff talk: Our goal is to get to the Big 12 Championship game. There are three games left and we still have a chance at that. Oklahoma is the gold standard in our league. I’m sure the players look at [playoff talk] but our focus is the conference championship game and OU this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News