ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor DC Ron Roberts assesses the defense (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Baylor defensive coordinator Ron Roberts is a very no nonsense when it comes to his side of the ball. The expectations are high for this group when the season begins Sept. 3 against FCS Albany.
Shortly before spring practices concluded, the veteran coach, and a mentor to head coach Dave Aranda, gave his insight as to where the 2022 defense is.

(How’s the linebacker room looking) Good. I’m really excited. The progress we’ve made. It has been pretty outstanding because of the younger guys. I’m really pleased with them taking on all the work ethic, the way they’re approaching their business. It’s a big focus here. We are young in some other spots and stuff, and younger guys first mastering how we take care of our business on a daily basis. That’s been the first approach.

(Having Dillon Doyle leading that group) Yeah, it’s a pleasure, it’s great to just have that guy around. Not just what he provides as a good player, but what he provides from a leadership standpoint and how to do things.

(Annoying at times) No, he’s not. He asks great questions, in-depth, and sometimes he’ll push it a little farther, a little faster than I want to push some other guys in the room, because he asks a question, and I’m like, they’re not ready for that yet. We’re going to take this thing in steps, but he’s outstanding. He’s first-class in everything. I can’t say enough about him, and you guys know that. He’s just first class in everything he does and a pleasure to be around, a joy to coach and just a huge contributor to our program in setting an example of what you want.

(On Matt Jones Note: Jones missed a lot of spring with foot surgery) He’s kind of been back and forth since we’ve been here. He’s played some insider backer, kind of moved outside, because really, he was one of our best 11. So, we moved him out there because last year you had Dillon and Terrel inside. You really don’t take those guys off the field too much. We know Matt can play. I know he can play. I know he plays the game the way we want to play it. So, I’m not really worried about him. I think he’ll be fine. He’ll get back healthy around the first week of June, so he’ll be ready to go.

(Has that given Will Williams a chance to step up) I think it’s given Will lots of opportunities to step into that role, to the forefront, getting a lot of reps, quality reps against the best, against the ones every day, I think has really helped speed up his progress.

(A lot different than Terrel) He’s a lot different. I think his progress through the spring has been amazing. I think he’s really came leaps and bounds from where he was to where he is right now.

(Any young guys you’d like to mention) There’s a bunch of them. You think about it, probably the youngest spot we are is obviously in the back end. Some young safeties and stuff. And I think they’ve done a great job. Snaxx (Lorando Johnson) stepping his role. We added Devyn Bobby back there, Cisco Gaston. Devin Neal has really stepped into that leadership role, done a tremendous job going through the spring. Devin Lemear has done an outstanding job. He’s a redshirt freshman, he’s got four years with us. So, we’re young back there, but the way they’ve approached their business and how far they’ve come in 14 days has been pretty exciting to watch.

(Christian Morgan still training at Star and Free safety - Note: Morgan was limited with a hamstring injury toward the end of camp) He was playing both, some free safety, some Star. And like I said, those are always opportunities for other guys to get reps and get guys that sometimes you have question marks on, where are they at and what can they do? And it’s actually a good opportunity to get those guys those needed reps.

(On depth in the defensive line) It’s obviously our most experienced group. We return the two-deep from last year, and then we added Jaxon Player and Cooper Lantz, who redshirted last year. He’s had a really great spring, too. So, we feel really good about that position up front. It’s one place where you’ve got to have a bunch of them. So, I’m excited about that, it’s our most experienced group.

(Can Jaxon play outside as well) Yeah, he can play several spots.

(Being in Year 3 of the defensive system, get it more now than that first year) Well, the first year was kind of a (laughs). You kind of want to forget that one. Good time being around the kids, but no spring ball and all that stuff, it was kind of rough. Really as a defense whole, I’d be honest to say that right now we’re way farther than we were anywhere last year, even at the end of the year. The way we’re functioning and the guys knowing what to do and why we’re doing it and adjusting and making calls and communication, it’s been a pleasure seeing that. We recruited for that, and we kind of knew in some of those roles what was going to happen when you lose JT Woods and Pitre and those guys. And some of those guys have really done an outstanding job.

(Has the secondary come a long ways) No doubt. All the guys we’ve mentioned have been tremendous. And don’t forget, we’ve got two veteran corners in there with Al (Walcott) and Mark (Milton). But AJ McCarty, who has been primarily a special teams guy. Has had an outstanding spring. And Chateau Reed at that corner spot, they’ve come a long way. And Mark and Al are both playing their best football right now. They’ve played better in the last four or five practices than they did at anytime last year. So, it’s really good. There’s a lot of positive things going on. We’ve got a long ways to go still. And it’s what we do over the next couple of months really, and how they handle the summer and for preparation. Not just from a physical but a mental standpoint, how do they do that? It will be huge.

(On the Star position, replacing Jalen) Again, Lorando has kind of taken the lead, being that guy. We have repped Christian Morgan down there, too. But, we’ve got a couple younger guys in the room. Romario Noel has been out there and he’s done a really good job. So, I think those guys have done an outstanding job with it.

(What the end of spring ball meant) I really wanted to see them build, and alignment, assignment, technique, and how they’re doing their jobs, as opposed to, hey, I had eight tackles. That’s not really what I’m looking for. I’m looking for some guys to really answer the question: Can they get from the question-mark category to the can do? And some of them are still in that phase. They’re teetering right on it. They’ve shown us glimpses, but when the lights are on, it’s time to go. And when their number is called and they’ve got to make a play, then make the play. But, I’m really looking for fundamentally and how well they just fit in and do their job and do their role.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News