ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: May 29, 2015

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

____________________________________________________________________________________

NOTE: Although nothing is imminent about Baylor’s future non-conference scheduling between 2016-2020, there doesn’t seem to be any movement at this time to drop Incarnate Word from the 2019 schedule. Baylor finishes its series with SMU in 2016 at McLane Stadium. The home-and-home with Duke is 2017 (at Duke) and 2018 (at Baylor) and UT-San Antonio is 2017 (at Baylor) and 2018 (in San Antonio). However, the 2016 season opener is with Northwestern St. The 2017 opener is with Liberty and the 2018 opener is with Abilene Christian. Those are schools that could be dropped if Baylor can play a neutral game against a P5 school at either AT&T Stadium in Arlington or perhaps the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. The 2014 season opener in the Georgia Dome featured Boise St. and Ole Miss.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Welcome class of 2015
For the record, Baylor had the No. 43 football recruiting class in Rivals team rankings. However, the program continues to upgrade the talent in the hopes maintaining the success that has been established.

The remaining 16 members of the class are expected to arrive on campus Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

As this class begins its collegiate journey, SicEmSports asked two questions: 1) What are the goals that you have set for this summer. 2) This is a major stepping stone in your life. What is the one thing happened to you that resulted in you having this opportunity to play D1 at Baylor?

>J.W. Ketchum, Ath, Houston Lamar: 1) Work hard and lead. 2) Staying humble and working so my true talent comes to light.

>Eric Ogor, LB, Richmond Foster: 1) Become a serious contender for the Bear position and to show the coaching staff they did right by offering me. 2) The hunger to be better. While everyone was at parties or out with friends, I was grinding and perfecting my craft. And it all paid off.

>Drew Galitz, P, Rowlett: 1) Continue to get better. 2) My parents always helping me and supporting me no matter what.

>Lenoy Jones, LB, Waco Midway: 1) Get bigger, faster and stronger and to learn this defense. 2) The first time Baylor didn’t want me was because they told me I wasn’t fast enough. They weren’t the only school that told me that. All the Big 12 schools did so. I took that to heart and worked my butt off the whole summer and my senior year, I was a different kind of cat. I ran a 4.6. I was chasing receivers down. I was an overall bigger and faster player. My dad starting as a freshman at TCU so I’m trying to follow his footsteps. I’m going in there and compete my butt off. No promises of me getting a starting spot, but I will compete every day and show why they gave me a full scholarship.

>Riley Daniel, OL, Ringling (OK): 1) To work hard and become more physically mature through working out this summer. 2) I realize my work has paid off.

>Devontre Stricklin, WR, Waco Midway: 1) To be that freshman that stands out from everybody else. 2) When I lost my gradma, I used that motivation because life is too short to make excuses. She told me to never give up on your dream. If I give up, I feel like I’m gonna let her down. I can’t do that because she never let me down.

>Mo Porter, OL, Navarro (Expected July arrival): 1) I want to prove to the coaches that they made the right decision to stay by my side through everything. 2) Stay focused after high school and go into a JUCO and show everyone that I’m a top athlete.

>JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview: 1) Become faster, stronger and put on more size. And to just make it through healthy. 2) My parents and work ethic are things that I feel have a lot to do with this opportunity. They made sure I had the chance to get as much exposure as possible. It was left up to me to work hard and perform at a high level. Just blessed and thankful for this opportunity.

>Tyrone Hunt, DE, Arp (Expected July arrival): 1) To go to college and provide a better future for myself and work on an off the field to achieve my goals. 2) I work with my dad, and he taught me to work and stay determined to get to where I am right now.

>Clay Johnston, LB/Ath, Abilene Wylie: 1) To work as a unit and strive to play with my brethren next to me and glorify the father up in heavy in all we do. And on top of that, win a national championship(s) in the future. 2) Just lots of praying and him showing me where to go. I used to live in Waco and wanted to come back home.

Basketball
>Jake Lindsey, G, Salt Lake City Olympus: 1) Improve my shooting and get comfortable with the team. 2) Having a supporting family that helped me work to get here.

>King McClure, G, Dallas Triple A Academy: 1) Make a smooth transition to college and understand the college game. I want to get in the best shape of my life and find the role on the team and learning what the coaches want me to do. 2) The knee injuries ultimately prepared me for this moment. I’ve learned how to overcome adversity and bounce back. Now I feel better and I am playing better than I ever have before.
-Kevin Lonnquist

New JUCO OL offer
Lackawanna (Pennsylvania) C.C. offensive tackle Ashton Julius received a new offer from the Baylor coaches this week and plans to officially visit Waco next weekend.

“Coach (Randy) Clements is my main recruiter from Baylor,” Julius said. “He stopped by our school recently and things picked up from there. My coaches told me that I needed to call Coach Clements and that’s when I picked up the offer from Baylor.

“It’s exciting. I know they are doing some good things down there at Baylor and I’m looking forward to seeing everything for myself next weekend.”

Julius now holds a dozen offers and plans to visit several programs this offseason, including a stop in Waco to spend time around the Baylor coaches.

“I have the visit set up to Baylor next weekend, then I would like to set up visits to see Arizona State, North Carolina State and UCF,” Julius said. “I picked up a new offer from Oklahoma on the same day that Baylor offered too. I might end up fitting a visit to see Oklahoma in there somewhere.”

The 6-foot-8, 330-pound prospect is set to graduate this December and will enroll at the college of his choice in January.

“I’m not really concerned about location or the conference,’’ Julius said. “It’s more about finding the right fit and somewhere that I can compete for playing time right away.”

Currently unrated, Julius will have two years to play two years once he arrives at the college of his choice.
-Matt Clare

Bishop Dunne 2017 safety Chevin Calloway
Chevin Calloway is a junior on the rise when it comes to the recruiting scene. Programs from across the country stopped in at Bishop Dunne throughout the spring to see the 2017 prospect.

“Baylor was a big one that stood out,” said Calloway. “Texas was one of my dream schools, Ole Miss was one of my first SEC schools and Michigan stood out.”

Calloway went on to describe his relationship with the Baylor coaching staff.

“I have a great relationship with the Baylor coaches. They came out to the spring game and spoke with my coach about how much they like me. When it is all said and done they will probably be one of my top schools.”

Calloway is not only researching the defensive scheme, the staff and players, but he is also looking into the academic programs provided.

“I am looking into engineering and business management,” said Calloway.
-Courtney Roland

Justin Madubuik update
McKinney North 2016 four-star strongside defensive end Justin Madubuike has been focused on being a leader for his team this spring. The Rivals250 prospect has had a number of big-time programs stop in to see him, but bragging about it is not his motto. His parents, who are major influences in his recruiting process, academics and life in general, have emphasized the importance of staying humble and it is evident in the way Madubuike carries himself throughout this process.

Madubuike is making sue to take his time and do his research. Schools on the other hand or not sitting back, and there are a few who are standing out showing “a lot of love,” as Madubuike put it.

“USC, Texas, Baylor a lot, Texas A&M-- they have been showing a lot of love,” he said. “…TCU, Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M are in-state schools that I want to keep in touch with.”
-Courtney Roland

Donovan Duvernay talks spring
Sachse 2016 defensive back Donovan Duvernay reflected on his spring season and which programs are standing out.

“A lot of colleges came through this spring,” he said. “As far as playing with my brother, we will just see how it all plays out, and who offers us… I have a good relationship with all of the schools that have offered me, but I would say Baylor and Michigan I have a really good relationship with and they stick out right now.”

Donovan’s hudl highlights show off his versatility and speed on the offense and defensive side of the ball.

“Baylor said they see me playing mostly defense, but there is also the possibility of some offense as well,” said Duvernay. “Michigan is recruiting me as an athlete, so it could be on either side of the ball.”

First weekend heading into summer break and the Duvernay brothers are already hitting the road.

“This weekend we are going to Auburn and Alabama,” said Duvernay. “I will also probably visit Baylor and TCU again.”
-Courtney Roland

Quick Devin Duvernay note
Sachse 2016 four-star wide receiver Devin Duvernay has an extensive offer list and plans to narrow it down this summer. Before he does though he wants to check in with a few programs and take a few visits.

Baylor is in a very good position with the Rivals250 wideout.
-Courtney Roland

Texas on His Mind
Tyler Simmons
is rapidly becoming a household wide receiver name in the Southeast. The Powder Springs (GA) McEachern wide receiver already has offers from three very successful programs in Georgia, Alabama and Georgia.

But his scheduled visit to Baylor on Sunday to participate in Baylor’s camp is a showcase to show the back-to-back Big 12 champions he’s worth considering. Simmons is making the most of the trip. He’s visiting Texas A&M as well.

“They’ve just been a program that’s interested me,’’ Simmons aid. “They’re coming alive every years. It’s a private school. Me and my dad talked about what schools did I want to see this summer where I didn’t have an offer and wanted to see if I could get one. I said Baylor. Hopefully, that will happen. I just want to show people my resources outside of Georgia’’

The 3-star receiver (5-11, 191, 4.41) briefly talked to Baylor safeties coach Cris Dishman a couple of weeks ago. The message was Baylor receivers get the ball. They don’t come to Baylor to block.

Simmons transferred from one Atlanta suburb to another. He came to McEachern from New Manchester where he played outside receiver and the. While 600 receiving yards is solid, Simmons was pretty dangerous in the return game with five touchdowns.

“I feel like my biggest strength is making plays after the catch,’’ Simmons said. “I’m not a finesse guy. I’m going to play physical. I just need to keep working on footwork coming off the ball and coming in and out of routes.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

New 2016 safety target?
Odessa Permian safety Desmon Smith has collected several new offers this spring and continues to receive interest from new programs on a weekly basis, including a visit from the Baylor coaches this week.

“Coach (Tate) Wallis stopped by and watched us practice earlier this week,” Smith said. “I had connected with Coach (Austin) Steele from Baylor earlier this year in January. We have talked about a potential offer, but Coach Wallis wants me to attend their camp on June 7 [on the Baylor campus] so the entire staff can see me in person.”

Smith currently holds 13 offers and a number of other programs are also looking to see the standout prospect at camps this summer.

“Notre Dame, Minnesota and Oklahoma State all want me at their camps too,” Smith said. “I’m not sure yet which schools that I will visit, but I plan on sitting down with my Mom and Grandma next week to schedule everything. I will definitely visit Baylor, SMU, Oklahoma State, Kansas and Houston for sure.”

Rated a three-star prospect, Smith finished with three tackles for loss, 18 pass breakups, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, four interceptions and 70 total tackles this past season.
-Matt Clare

Big12 commit still hearing from Baylor
Manvel athlete D’Eriq King made a verbal commitment to TCU in mid-January of this year and remains solid with the Horned Frogs despite a handful of programs continuing to recruit him, including the Baylor Bears.

“Houston, Texas Tech, SMU and Baylor are all talking with me on a regular basis,” King said. “Coach (Kendal) Briles and Coach (Chris) Achuff are the coaches I talk with from Baylor. I talk with Coach ‘KB’ a lot actually. They are basically letting me know that they’re still interested if I’m open at all.

“The Baylor coaches want me at wide receiver and Coach Briles has a great team with a great offense at Baylor, but it would probably take a big change for me to reconsider my commitment to TCU right now.”

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound athlete does not have any visits setup at the moment, but could join some of his teammates on trips during the summer.

King plays quarterback for Manvel and is being given the opportunity to compete at quarterback first from the TCU coaches. This update, although not large or breaking, is significant should anything happen with King’s commitment to TCU. Recruiting can be very unpredictable across the board, but King is a dynamic athlete who could be dangerous at the slot position within a spread offense like the Baylor offense.
-Matt Clare

Where is the ceiling?
When Texarkana Liberty-Eylau coach Steve Wells talks about his 2017 defensive end LaGarryon Carson (6-5, 265), he’s runs out of adjectives.

“He’s a very gifted kid,’’ Wells said. “He runs well enough to play anywhere. We can play him at tight end because he can run and catch. Everybody has dropped in on him over the last three or four weeks. He’s a special player.

“The main thing is that he’s busy getting ready for the season. He’s going to have some good options. God blessed him with speed and size.’’

Carson already holds at least eight known offers including Baylor, Alabama, Tennessee, Texas A&M and Texas. Because he has exceptional footwork, he has a great burst off the line of scrimmage and create a fearsome pass rush.

Wells said there is so much raw talent that it’s unclear how high Carson’s ceiling is. However, the benefit is that Carson can go through weight training program. Wells said Carson had a solid offseason program and said he has the potential to be as good as former Gladewater standout and Texas A&M signee Daylon Mack.

Carson’s stat package from 2014 read the following: 24 solo tackles, 52 total tackles, 20 hits (one of two or three players who got to the ball), six sacks, one tipped pass and two caused fumbles.

“He’s got a chance to be one of the Top 5 defensive players in the country,’’ Wells said. “I told him after our season, he’s going to be one of our main leaders of the defense. He took to it. He wants to be a team captain.’’

Baylor’s run at Liberty-Eylau has been successful with signing of Davion Hall. Hall is about to enter his sophomore year. Carson will be a two-way player. Wells said he will line Carson up at tight end for goal line and short-yardage situations including when the offense is running stretch plays.

At this point, look for Carson to attend Baylor’s June 6 camp in Marshall.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook
>Baylor came by Aledo recently to look at 2017 offensive lineman Wes Harris. While Harris has already collected five offers including Texas Tech, Baylor didn’t follow with its own. It sounds like the Baylor coaching staff would like for him to come to one of its camps to take a further look. The Bears are known for their tall offensive linemen. Harris stands 6-3, which be shorter than what is currently on the roster.

>In case you didn’t see it, North Mesquite offensive lineman Jean Delance released his top 9 on Friday. Baylor was not on it. That’s not too surprising. It never appeared Delance was a high Baylor priority.

>Don’t look for Kennedale 2017 LB Baron Browning to come to any Baylor camps – or any other camps – this summer. Browning said nothing has changed between him and Baylor. He plans on spending his summer going through strength and conditioning. Plus, he wants to be healthy. Injuries cut short his 2014 football season. Baylor was the first school to offer him in the summer of 2014.

>Hope (AR) and Rivals100 DE McTelvin Agim finished his spring football season Thursday. No Baylor coaches were there because the staff already used its two visits. We'll see about a visit to the Marshall camp on June 6.

>Could be the last to know but hearing that other potential departures from the football program will be DT Trevor Clemons-Valdez and RB Anthony Webb. Stressing the word potential.
-SicEmSports

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News