ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: June 17, 2022 (MORE SATURDAY CAMPERS ADDED; RIVALS 250)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Baylor’s second official visit weekend begins on Friday. This will be a mix of uncommitted prospects and commits.

The most notable 2023 commit is 4-star and Rivals No. 136, QB Austin Novosad from Dripping Springs. The most notable non-commit is Arlington Lamar 4-star offensive lineman Isaiah Robinson.

Notable: This is an interesting recruitment. He loves the fine arts. Robinson can flat out sing. What Baylor may offer there could be important in terms of him having the flexibility to be a part of any production in theatre as much as he plays the game. Robinson took an OV to Cal last week. He does not have any others scheduled at this point.

Notable: Well, since the situation with Ohio State didn’t create the buzz or at least the murmurs that the Buckeyes were going to push during his OV last week in Columbus, that could mean the Baylor remains in a good position for the signal caller. Novosad is one of the leaders for this class.

Notable: About as solid a commit as you can get. York has been preaching Baylor to whoever will listen. It would take something extraordinary for him to look elsewhere…even consider it.

Notable: A physical receiver who quietly developed a relationship with the Baylor coaching staff before he committed shortly after the Jan. 30 Junior Day. This is really a good recruiting win for the staff because other solid programs like Mississippi State, Pitt, Texas Tech and Cincinnati offered.

Notable: It’s a little strange to call him under rated. But at the time he committed to Baylor, most didn’t know who he was. But as he became more recognized – especially when he was going through camp season and 7-on-7 – his reputation grew. A really great set of hands.

Notable: One of the newest members of the 2023 class. As time goes on, he will be reviewed as either a tackle or a guard. It depends on what the workouts reveal. Tucker is slated to be a January 2023 enrollee.

Notable: You really don’t hear about him. But Woods is one of those who has an opportunity to project to be a pretty solid D1 player. He already took an OV to Vanderbilt on June 3. Following this Baylor visit, he’s scheduled to take an OV to Cal next week. We’ll see if this turns into a Bears vs. Bears scenario.

Notable: A little similar situation to that of Woods. A really solid prospect who may not have all of the flashy big-time offers. However, he’s put together a great film and has offers from Colorado, Texas Tech. SMU and Houston. We’ll see how Baylor plays this.

Notable: Here’s your surprise. While he has held an offer, Baylor likely would have not have been in the running until Lake Belton safety Javeon Wilcox de-committed earlier this week. Now, the Bears need one. So why not go after someone who you have offered, maybe kept the relationship there but not at the forefront and then move your chips to the middle of the table after what happened.
Washington just committed to SMU last week following his official visit to The Hilltop. If Baylor wants to make a serious push here, the Mustangs better be looking over their shoulders.

Woodville 2025 QB makes his move
When you’re in a tiny town in East Texas lost in the pines, you sometimes have to go to them before they come to you.

That’s what Woodville 2025 QB Isaiah Coleman did at the June 10 camp. He showed his skill set in front of the Baylor coaches and hoped he made an impression. Woodville is a town of about 2,400 and a 30-minute drive east of Huntsville.

“I took a lot out of the camp,’’ Coleman said. “Every coach I talked to brought the energy. I learned different tips on throws and coverages! Coach Shawn Bell and [Quality Control coach] Rhett Holcomb was very helpful to me, and the workout was traditional but intense.’’

Coleman is just now starting to make his mark. He hopes to return to another camp. There’s also some room to grow at 6-0, 175.

“I really didn’t get to talk to coach bell as much, but coach Holcomb said he would love to see me to keep my elbow up along with the ball in my 3-step drop and planting my feet more.’’

Baylor Camp – No. 2
It should be another full house at Baylor on Saturday. The staff is getting a tremendous turnout for these. Next Saturday (June 25) is already sold out.

Baylor’s camp starts with combine testing with the 40, broad jump, etc. before it moves into the position drills.

Here are few of the notables who should be showing out.

A 2024 DB from Denison (6-2, 170)

Jace Bardwell, 2024, DT, FM Marcus (6-2, 270)

Drew Perez, 2023, OL, SL Carroll, 6-8, 330
Baylor still looking for OL candidates. They want to watch him work out. He has offers from Colorado, San Diego State, Tulane and FCS Fordham in New York.

Lamarion McGowan, 2025, Ennis, DB, 5-11, 160

Gracen Harris, 2025, Ennis, 5-9, 160
Baylor offered him in May. He had a huge debut 2021 with more than 1,100 receiving yards.

More Saturday campers
Rivals No. 147 Tyree Adams, OT, 2023, New Orleans St. Augustine, 6-6, 282. Big one because nobody knows where he's leaning.
Walker Davis, OL, 2023, Benton (AR), 6-3, 271, his only offers are from Liberty and Middle Tennessee
Drew Evers, 2026, OL, 6-3, 246 from Flower Mound
Marcos Davilas, 2024, QB, 6-3, 210, Midland Legacy - he's blowing up with 12 offers
Trey Owens, 2024, QB, 6-5, 200, Cy Fair - Another one with a lot of offers. You always have to look ahead
Holton Hendrix, 2024, OL, 6-4, 260, Lubbock Cooper - has UH, Tech offers
Ahkari Johnson, Ath, 2024, Texarkana Pleasant Grove, 6-0, 180
DJ Coleman, DB, 2023, Mesquite Horn, 6-0, 181. He's a 3-star with a lot of lower school offers. Minnesota is his only P5 offer.
Kewan Lacy, RB, 2024, Lancaster, 6-0, 190. Alabama has offered him.
Riley Wormley, RB, 2025, Colleyville Heritage, 5-10, 170, Has SMU and TCU offers among others
Jelani McDonald, Ath, 2023, Waco Connally, 6-2, 190, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, SMU and Arkansas have offered the local recruit
Mason Dossett, Ath, 2024, FB Ridge Point, 6-1, 185, Kentucky, Ga Tech and Texas Tech are among his early offers
Ja'Marion Kennedy, DL, 2023, Shreveport Northwood, 6-3, 295, has HBCU, FCS and lower G5 offers.
Josiah Martin, WR, 2024, Denton Guyer, 5-11, 165 has a Utah offer

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News