ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: April 6, 2018

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
The Topper
>This appears to be the home stretch for Rivals No. 66 Tyler Harris. While Baylor still feels good about its chances to land the standout point guard from Cordova, TN, Scott Drew’s staff is by no means comfortable.

While Memphis has picked up two commitments this week including new head coach Penny Hardway’s son, efforts are still being made to lure Harris. We know that Harris has not indicated which way he’s going to go when it comes to his commitment decision. It does appear that Iowa State is out of this.

All signs point to decision coming next week with the late signing period starting Wednesday.

>Baylor is looking at the grad transfer/transfer market. Aside from Evansville grad transfer Ryan Taylor, there are no names where the staff has locked on to anyone. No visits are scheduled. This will take some time as the transfer market is closing in on 400 names.

>On Sunday, Baylor will resume spring football with the first of four practices in a week. The staff plans to host some high valued recruits. Exactly who arrives will be a day of decision. There is an Under Armour event in Cedar Hill, which could attract some of those names. One player who is expected to arrive is Humble Atascocita safety/linebacker Tyrone Brown.

Is Love enough?
Florida is new territory for Baylor’s coaching staff. However, the staff made some ground by nabbing linebacker DeMarco Artis and wide receiver Tyquan Thornton.

They appear to be making some headway with Miami Southridge 3-star Diamante Howard. The Bears offered the slash player who can play both safety and linebacker. Howard became available after about an 18-month commitment to Miami (Fl) ended with him re-opening.

Howard is taking the Baylor offer seriously.

“I don’t know that much about Baylor, but I know it’s a Christian school,’’ Howard said. “I am interested. But I have to take a visit to fall in love with it.’’

And Howard said he would try to make arrangements this summer to try and come to Texas. A cousin of the late NFL standout Sean Taylor, Howard said he has started to track the Baylor move in to South Florida. He knows who Thornton is.

Baylor is looking at Howard as a free safety. He said he’s watched the Bears defense on tape and said he knows a little bit how the safeties are used. A visit would be a big step.

Howard will not let his mouth dictate the way he plays. It’s going to be what he does wearing the pads.

“I’m fast and hard hitting,’’ he said. “I don’t trash talk. All I do is just play through the ball.’’
-SicEmSports

Baylor Spring FB Q&A
Post practice interviews with senior WR Jalen Hurd and sophomore QB Charlie Brewer

Jalen Hurd
(How anxious are you to play)
Very. I’ve sat out a year so it’s about time for me to get back out there for sure.

(Going from RB to WR) The transition has been going really well. I’ve had time after I had stopped playing for a bit to really focus on receiver and get that mentality and kind of learn the perimeter a little bit and just develop this offseason and the year I sat out as well.

(Why come to Baylor) I saw a great opportunity. I like what Rhule is doing here. I saw a great opportunity and thought I could do really well here and I think it’s a great decision so far.

(BU coaching staff) They’re straight up and I respect that 100 percent. They’ve been straight up with me since the day I stepped on this campus. That’s what you want as a player, someone to be straight up with you. They run a strict ship here which I respect that. Practices are just the same (as Tennessee) or harder and I’ve enjoyed it so far, so I’m just looking forward to keep going and getting on the field.

My body was not really feeling that well at running back. I had a lot of injuries at Tennessee and the switch has been great for me to rest my body, and then I think I’ll be able to play a lot longer at this position.

I think at running back I was kind of looked at as if I had hindrances, like being too tall or being too big hindered me. But being this size and being this speed and being what I am right now or even a little skinnier is perfect for a wideout. It transitions well.

(Sitting out last year) Man, it was humbling. I sat here and I came on the scout team every single day and I just worked with the first team defense. I was a scout wide receiver and did a lot of stuff. It was humbling but I was learning the game. I was learning how to move in and out of my cuts. I was still working on my hands and everything like that, and doing the transition role.

(Going from Bob Bicknell to Frisman Jackson) Absolutely. It’s been a great transition.

(Charlie Brewer) His arm is getting great. I think he had some stuff that kind of held him back last year arm strength-wise. What he’s doing now is I mean he’s killing. He’s throwing the ball as hard as I’ve ever seen him. So I’m really impressed by him.

(What else does Charlie bring to table) Anything. He can sit there and roll out and then if he doesn’t want to throw it he’s got legs and he can run really well.

(Hard to watch team struggle last year?) Absolutely. You come in somewhere and they don’t do that well you want to help in any instance. But it was a humbling experience. I had to take my time to sit out. I think we’ll do a lot better this year.

The team came in and wasn’t really aware of how they did things (last year). Everyone kind of knows now. They’ve been through it. I wasn’t here the first spring but I was here in camp and now this spring. This is the team’s second spring with the coaching staff and I think everyone kind of knows what they’re looking for and what we need to do.

(Wide receiving corps) There’s a couple of young dudes but Denzel’s a junior and Platt’s a senior, so it’s an older crew. I mean a lot of talent. It’s insane. It’s going to be nice to work with.

(Wearing yellow jersey) I think it’s more just everything stays right and not take too much contact. No doubt I had a heavy load at Tennessee, so limiting as much contact, but I’m still full speed on everything.
-SicEmSports

Charlie Brewer
(Going full speed now)
It’s going good so far. It feels good to get back in the swing of things full go.

(Healing shoulder) Just rehab stuff with the trainers. It’s a past injury from high school, so it’s just stuff I had to work on.

(Was it a separated shoulder?) No. It was just a sore shoulder.

(Worried about taking hits?) No, I feel completely fine if I were to take a hit or not. I feel good.

(Offense) It’s always a little bit different Year 2 just with all the different stuff. It feels more second nature kind of, and I think it’s going a lot better than last spring.

(Getting receivers back from injuries) Definitely, those guys make me look good. Whenever you can throw to somebody like them, all I’ve got to do is make the right read and put the ball there and they do the rest.

(Jalen Hurd) He’s explosive, a complete mismatch. It’s good to have someone like that on your side, and we’ve got a few of those guys which is really helpful.

(Playing last year) Getting in there a little bit and feeling more comfortable now. You always want to prepare yourself as a starter whether you’re one, two or three, whatever you are on the depth chart. I felt I was prepared, but I feel a lot better now but I still have a lot to work on.

(Did you want to redshirt?) Whatever Coach Rhule wanted to do. He’s the one in charge, it’s his choice and I’m going to go with whatever he says. You always have to have some confidence whatever position you play. My number got called late last season and I had to step up.

(Coaches had confidence in you) Definitely. That’s what you show out here in practice in the spring and fall camp and workouts and everything.

(Do teammates have confidence in you) I think so. Just getting in there and playing with the guys. Even now in the spring and working in practice, the weight room, film, running, all of it really.

(Gerry Bohannon) It’s a little more difficult when you’re first coming in and learning stuff, so definitely if he has questions whatever it might be I’m going to tell him and let him know what I didn’t when I first got here.

(Rehab given you arm strength?) I think so. It just feels a lot better, all the rehab. Rehabbing every day.

I think it’s more fun because it’s a new year. Last year went pretty bad, so I think there’s a lot of excitement because we have a chance to get better each day in the spring and do something special this fall.

(Last year’s record) It’s a feeling you don’t want to ever feel again, so I think there’s motivation that you don’t want to be in that position again. We’re working every day so we won’t be, so that’s motivation. My expectation is to win every game, so we just need to start out 1-0 and 2-0 and keep it going and just really get better every day in practice and in the film room.

(Offensive line depth) I think we’ve got a really good group up front that’s worked extremely hard in the offseason and all spring, so I’m really impressed with those guys up front. They’re working really hard every day. We have a few guys that are eligible this year to play, Jake Fruhmorgen, Christian Beard, Khalil Keith, and maybe some more guys. They definitely add some depth and they’re all great players.
-SicEmSports

Baylor offers Nance

Blanchard (Oklahoma) wide receiver Jamie Nance announced an offer from Baylor this week.

"Coach (Joey) McGuire reached out to me and we have been talking the most," Nance said. "I spoke with the defensive backs coach, Fran Brown, too. They like me as an athlete, and believe that I could play both ways with my abilities.

"I haven't visited Baylor before, but I'm planning on scheduling a visit soon. I really want to attend their spring game. The only thing that I know about Baylor is that they play in the Big 12 conference and that several good players have come out of the program."

The 6-foot,160-pound athlete is being recruited at both receiver and defensive back with several teams showing interest.

"I would say that offense is my primary, but I would not have a problem doing both at the next level," Nance said. "I already had a few offers and I'm staying in touch with coaches from Minnesota, TCU and Oklahoma State. Houston and Nebraska are getting close as well, but the other schools I mentioned and now Baylor are showing much more interest."

Currently rated a 5.5 three-star prospect, Nance now holds four (4) offers from Baylor, Missouri, Tulsa and Arkansas State.
-Matt Clare

Hundley still hearing from Baylor
Liberty Christian defensive end Isreal Isuman-Hundley earned an offer from the Baylor coaching staff last Fall.

"I still hear from Baylor, mostly the new defensive line coach Frank Okam," Isuman-Hundley said. "I haven't visited lately, but I'm planning to visit again later this spring. I think Baylor is a great place with great coaches. My Mom actually went to Baylor, so she was able to tell me a lot about the school and I loved the campus."

Unfortunately, the standout prospect suffered a knee injury and had surgery this off season.

"Having the injury can change the conversation with coaches," Isuman-Hundley said. "We haven't really talked about how I can fit into the defense or my highlights, because Coach Okam mostly encourages me about my knee and makes sure that I stay positive."

Currently rated a 5.5 three-star prospect, the 6-foot-5, 225-pound prospect holds offers from Baylor, Oklahoma State and SMU with several other programs showing interest.
-Matt Clare

Can the coaches add a King?

Tascosa running back King Doerue earned an offer from the Baylor coaching staff in February following a junior day visit to Waco.

"Yes sir, I mostly talk with the whole coaching staff from Baylor," Doerue said. "Coach (Jeff) Nixon, the running backs coach, is the one I talk with the most. He likes my size, my speed, my explosiveness and feels that I'm a good fit for the offense they run.

"All of the Baylor coaches are really good people and I'm trying to visit again as soon as possible. I really liked the atmosphere and the coaching staff, plus all of the facilities at Baylor are amazing."

Currently rated a 5.6 three-star prospect, the 6-foot, 200-pound back holds offers from Baylor, Texas Tech, Nebraska, TCU, Iowa State, Texas A&M, Minnesota, Ole Miss, North Texas, BYU and Kansas.
-Matt Clare

Baylor back at Cibolo Steele
It only took one phone call from Baylor defensive backs coach Fran Brown. But that was enough to get Cibolo Steele 2020 defensive back Jaylon Jones to take a serious interest in the Bears.

Of course, offers will do that. However, between the offer and former Steele teammate J.T. Woods being on the Baylor campus has done enough to keep Jones’ attention.

“I love the tradition there and the history of winning,’’ Jones said. “Baylor had a down year last year but is truly on the rise. I love the way they are working hard to get back to their winning way. You can see that by the way they are recruiting guys with speed and athleticism.’’

Jones said he hopes to visit Baylor sometime soon and be in touch with the coaching staff. Oklahoma State and Houston have also offered. That list is surely going to grow once the evaluation period begins and Steele goes through spring football.

He played in 10 of the Knights’ 14 games in 2017 and had a knack for making big plays. Jones collected 31 tackles including two for loss. He also added two interceptions (40 return yards) and two passes defended. Jones has speed to close down plays.

When you’re 6-2, there are a lot of possibilities. That’s why Baylor made its case early.

“I feel that my speed is one of my best attributes along with my ability to cover the bigger receivers,’’ Jones said. “My ability to turn my hips and go gives me a huge advantage when it comes to coverage. I’m improving on recognizing offensive sets and receiver alignment pre-snap. That will also help me be a better DB.’’

It wouldn’t be a bad thing for Baylor to get involved with consistently recruiting players from Steele. Of course, it’s one of Texas’ most consistent high school football programs. Maybe the pipeline started with Woods.

“Me and JT are pretty close,’’ Jones said. “He is a good friend of mine. He taught me a lot at his time at Steele. I hope he’s doing his thing at Baylor.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Time to shine
Kennedy Lewis
is the example that if even you’re not starting, you better be ready. As Melissa was going through its 12-2 2017 season, Lewis was backing up a senior.

When that senior went down to injury, it was his turn to produce.

Did he ever.

In only six games, the big target became the big man on campus. He caught 40 passes for 906 yards and six scores. That’s 22.8 yards per reception and 150 receiving yards per game.

Now, in a lower classification school like Melissa is at 4A, one player can sometimes dominate. But if you dominate and have the athleticism, schools will find you. Baylor did.

“I have interest in Baylor and I’ve been talking to [wide receivers coach Frisman Jackson],’’ Lewis said. “He is really cool. I have been to Baylor, but I am going back soon.’’

That could be for the April 21 spring game. Lewis is a big target at 6-4. However, he has 4.45 speed and ball skills that has attracted the attention of other schools such as SMU, Oklahoma State, Indiana and Texas Tech.

“I run track in the 100, 200 and the relays,’’ Lewis said. “I want to continue to get to know them. But they really just want me to go to the campus.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook
>Rivals No. 215, Detroit Cass Tech running back Jaren Mangham said he plans to return to Texas this summer and visit Baylor again. No dates are set. An official visit is option being considered.

>The new early official visit period (April 1-June 24) has started. At this time, Baylor is not working on getting one in for one of those. Spring football runs for another two weeks. Then the evaluation period covers most of May. However, we told you San Antonio Jay QB
Jacob Zeno is likely looking at taking one in June.

>Rockwall 4 star safety Anfernee Orji said he’s planning on returning to Baylor for a visit on April 14.

-SicEmSports

Last edited:
Reactions: Mar.Gen.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.