ADVERTISEMENT

What was he Thinking? (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The RJB interrupts the stroll through signature hits of the 80s to recognize the holiday season.

Ah, the Halloween Franchise. Michael Myers, Laurie Strode and the cast of those who met their end courtesy of MM. Well, it appears that after 44 years and 13 films, this slasher movie series has reached its end. Hence the name Halloween Ends.

Maybe the Haddonfield, IL matriarch Strode finally can rid herself of him. Maybe Michael just can never be killed. Maybe you don’t really care, which the RJB is betting you don’t.

After the franchise grossed $773 million from the first 12 films, the joke was on those who watched them.

It wouldn’t be All Hallows Eve with the RJB bringing back the theme that best sets the mood than this one. You don’t need many notes to know this theme. Just like Jaws.

In this space next week, I’ll have my preview of the No. 5 men’s basketball team which opens the season at 11:00 on Nov. 7 at the Ferrell Center against Mississippi Valley State.

Mrs. Razorback and I are ready for the trick or treaters on Monday. We have the Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, Kit Kats and Snickers filled up in a bucket.

I’m not a one-for-you, one-for-you and one-for-you type of distributor. If you’re coming to my house, you’re hitting the lottery. The main reason? I want to get rid of it so I’m not tempted. I’m already fighting the urges since the Peanut Butter cups are my candy weakness.

Another fun, quick trip to Minneapolis. Great to see my cousin. Weather was outstanding. I’ve been doing this since 2009. First time I can recall watching the Gophers in short sleeves. Kicked off at 69 degrees. And they beat Rutgers, 31-0. Funny thing about shutouts. You’re cool with the win. But you’re still kind of into it because you want to see the blanking. Don’t get to see those too often.

Game finished fast so I had plenty of time to get and watch the Bears.

We’re entering the money month of the college football season where championships are won or lost by what happens over these last four weeks.

I look at the pursuit to get to AT&T Stadium in Arlington on Dec. 4, a five-team race between Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State, Texas and Kansas State.

Currently, TCU holds the top spot at 5-0. Kansas State is 4-1. Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas are all 3-2. If you’re a team with three losses, you’d have to run the table and get a bunch of help. Never mind.

Here are the schedules for the contenders. Odd to not include Oklahoma in this discussion.

TCU: Home to Texas Tech, at Texas, at Baylor, home to Iowa State.

Kansas State: Home to Texas, at Baylor, at West Virginia, home to Kansas.

Texas: at Kansas State, home to TCU, at Kansas, Baylor

Oklahoma State: at Kansas, home to Iowa State, at Oklahoma, home to West Virginia

Baylor: at Oklahoma, home to Kansas State, home to TCU, at Texas

Let’s start with TCU. Short of a November implosion – Sonny Dykes coached teams have a history of crashing and burning in this month – the Horned Frogs are practically in the title game. Texas Tech should not be considered a land mine.

Obviously, consecutive road games to Austin and Waco are not gimmes. At the very worse, I see the TCU going 3-1. The Horned Frogs have everything lined up with big home wins over Oklahoma State and Kansas State.

Toughest schedule? That’s a tie between Baylor and Texas. What favors both is that each controls its destiny because each plays Kansas State, TCU and each other. There’s nothing they can do about Oklahoma State.

Yet the margin for error is narrow. One more loss and by the time they see each other the day after Thanksgiving, it’s just going to be the regular season finale.

Easiest schedule? Kansas State. If the Wildcats split these next two with Texas and Baylor – it may not matter how they split it – and you presume they take care of business with West Virginia and Kansas, they should be fine to get to AT&T. But if they lose these next two, they’re toast.

Who really needs help? Oklahoma State. While the Cowboys have wins over Texas and Baylor, blowing that 17-point lead at TCU is really stinging.

Technically, Mike Gundy’s schedule is easier than Kansas State’s. However, the Cowboys really can’t consider themselves one game behind KSU. They’re two because of the loss in Manhattan, KS. They are Texas and Baylor fans over the next two weeks for them to be serious players.

If we end the season with multiple teams tied for one or both spots to reach the championship game, then we’ll examine the Big 12 tiebreakers when the time calls for it

Now, to the national scene

>The first College Football Playoff poll will be released on Tuesday. I have a Top 4 of 1. Georgia. 2. Ohio State 3. Tennessee. 4 Michigan. Clemson and Alabama are the two wild cards. But I could see one-loss Alabama one spot higher than Clemson. I’ve said Ohio State is the best team in the country. And I think the Buckeyes should be No. 1 and Georgia No. 2.

When Tennessee visits Georgia on Saturday, it could be a playoff elimination game. The loser likely can’t get into the SEC championship game unless the winner slips up the final three weeks.

Ohio State can stroll into the Michigan game on Nov. 26 in Columbus because its next three are Northwestern, Indiana and Maryland. When they were scheduled, the thinking was playing Iowa and Wisconsin were going to be difficult. Those programs are having down seasons.

Michigan’s next two are Rutgers and Nebraska. However, the Wolverines have a test against possible Big 10 West winner Illinois Nov. 19 in Ann Arbor.

Clemson’s playoff chances hang on what happens this Saturday at Notre Dame. The Irish aren’t great. But a night game could make this hmmm. The trip to South Bend is the last road games. The Tigers finish the ACC schedule with home to Louisville and home to Miami (FL) before the rivalry game against South Carolina.

Alabama knows its on the edge. A loss at LSU and it’s over. Survive that and then there’s a trip to Ole Miss the following week. Survive that then the Crimson Tide cruises into the SEC championship game after playing an FCS team and then the Iron Bowl against awful Auburn.

Plenty of drama. Saturdays in college football are never boring. Saturdays in November in college football are delicious.

Now, a look at other Baylor sports…

>The No. 13-ranked Baylor volleyball team swept West Virginia on Sunday afternoon, 3-0, in the Ferrell Center to take the season series from WVU.

The Bears (19-4, 8-2 Big 12 Conference) took the match from the Mountaineers (7-16, 0-10 Big 12) in a quick three sets: 25-19, 25-5, 25-18.

Baylor broke its record for lowest opponent point total in a 25-point set in set two where West Virginia had just five points. BU first broke the record this season on Oct. 1 against North Texas, where the Mean Green had just six points in the first set.

The Bears hit the road once again, this time to Lubbock to face Texas Tech on Wednesday.

>Sera Hasegawa shot a 1-under 70 to lead Baylor women’s golf to a tie for eighth at the Battle at the Beach on Sunday at Club Campestre San Jose. Baylor wrapped up its fall season.

Hasegawa carded her sixth-straight round at par or better as BU finished with an 11-over 863 to complete the fall semester. Playing as an individual, Anika Veintemilla had the best week of her career, collecting her career-first top-10 finish after an even-par 71 on Sunday clinched a tie for ninth for the senior.

BU finished tied with Arkansas at 11-over 863. LSU won the event with a 14-under 838, six shots better than second-place TCU, who fired an 8-under 844.

>Baylor men’s golf will host the Bear Brawl for a second-straight season beginning Monday morning at Ridgewood Country Club. The Bears will account for two squads in the eight-team field, allowing all nine available players to see action on Monday.

> Women’s tennis wrapped up the Baylor Invite on Sunday at the Hurd Tennis Center, posting a trio of wins in singles play and a doubles victory.
Alina Shcherbinina (6-4, 6-7, 13-11) and Daniella Dimitrov (6-2, 0-6, 10-7) remained undefeated in singles play on the weekend, posting victories over TCU’s Destinee Martins and Houston’s Gabriela Cortes, respectively. Additionally, Liubov Kostenko picked up a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Washington State’s Eva Alvarez Sande.

Baylor concludes its fall slate next weekend when it travels to Stillwater, Oklahoma, for the Big 12 Individual Championships.

>Baylor cross country ran in the Big 12 Championships on Friday morning at LCU’s Chaparral Ridge Cross Country Course. The women finished the race in sixth place, while the men finished seventh overall.

The Bears return to the Dale Watts Course in Bryan-College Station for the NCAA South Central Regional on Nov. 11 to fight for a spot to the NCAA Championships in Stillwater, Okla. The race is scheduled to begin at 9:15 a.m.

Let’s make it a great week!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News