ADVERTISEMENT

Tay'Shawn Wilson's last track ride before Baylor arrival (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

This was the reason he wanted to stay in high school and finish running track.

Baylor 2023 defensive back signee Tay’Shawn Wilson could have been tempted to join 10 others as an early enrollee this past January.

However, track is in his DNA. The Katy Mayde Creek product wanted to stay and try and compete for a state gold medal.

“I would say it’s going really well,’’ Wilson said. “We have one of the fastest 4x100 relay teams in the state. And my 200 is at 21.7 (seconds) which is ahead of where it was at this time last year.’’

But back in the fall there wasn’t any certainty that he would be able to compete this spring. Wilson, a four-star standout, suffered a dislocated kneecap early in the season and was lost for the remainder of 2022.

There was great anticipation to see Wilson perform as Baylor had won collected one of the biggest additions to its 2023 class. The Bears won a contested battle against Texas and to a certain extent Houston. Now, that anticipation will come when he is at Baylor. Wilson arrives in early June.

Wilson never wavered from his commitment to the Bears last June and signed in December.

“Just the relationship I had with [defensive backs coach Kevin] Curtis and and head coach Dave Aranda] and the rest of the staff sealed the deal,’’ Wilson said. “I love the way how they allow you to be you from a personal standpoint.’’

Wilson went through his rehab was cleared in early November. That was plenty of time to start training in December and January when the track season began in February. Track and football are intertwined because speed, agility and burst all translate from the oval to the football field.

There is the drive to return to the Class 6A Texas State Track and Field meet in May in Austin. He ran with his relay teammates last year and finished sixth. However, he’s pushing himself to get there as an individual.

Wilson just missed state in the 100 when he finished third in regionals.

So far, the relay team’s 41.53 posted over the weekend at the Grand Oaks Grizzly Senior Relays is a great time and considered one of the top in the state. The 4x200 team’s 1:27.24 is also a school record.

While his best time in the 100 this spring is 11.11, don’t be alarmed. Wilson ran 10.62 in 2022 and is working his way toward that.

“What helped me in rehab is that I just really got stronger and worked on areas that I didn’t before,’’ Wilson said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News