ADVERTISEMENT

SicEmSports Mailbag: The Answers

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Here you go from your publisher

Q: Kevin's and Matt's over/under picks on the following ( I set the line, you pick the over or the under):
Corey Coleman - 1350 receiving yards
Shock Linwood - 1000 rushing yards
Shawn Oakman - 10.5 sacks
Blake Lynch - 20 receptions
Laquan McGowan - 8 receptions
Taylor Young - 100 tackles
Baylor - 11.5 wins
TCU - 11.5 wins
Tech - 7.5 wins
Texas - 7.5 wins
A&M - 8.5 wins
2016 4* BU signees - 4.5

A: Corey Coleman – just a bit under
Shock Linwood – over but he won’t break the career rushing record
Shawn Oakman – 10
Blake Lynch – under
LaQuan McGowan – I’m not sure he can even get five receptions
Taylor Young – Over
Baylor – No answer because our 20 questions segment in August will cover that
TCU – Under
Texas Tech – Under but the Red Raiders will be back in a bowl
Texas – 8 wins
Texas A&M – 8 wins
2016 4 stars – 6

Q: I'm starting to worry we have lost our edge with basketball recruiting. Makes sense due to our lousy fan turn out. Am I off base here?

A: Well, the stunning loss to Georgia St. in the NCAA tournament didn’t help. But keep in mind the Bears already have a 2016 commitment in Rivals No. 72 prospect Mark Vital. He’s been committed to them for nearly two years. Vital is a really good player. And they also received a great guard in King McClure, another Rivals150 prospect, for the 2015 class. Where Baylor has struggled is landing a good big man. Deng Deng was pretty much a bust last year. We really won’t know anything about Acuil until he gets on the court. Baylor should be pretty active in the next couple of months with official visits. This class is going to be about four. As for the fans support, it remains a mystery why it’s consistently inconsistent. I don’t need, “Well, it’s the opponent,’’ argument that keeps fans away. If you’re invested into your program, you’re going to watch the team. I don’t know if the Baylor community will ever become as invested with basketball as it is with football.

Q: What defensive linemen are going to commit to us this year? We need more!

A: Baylor needs about four DE/DT for this class and already has one in Spring DT Bravvion Roy. I don’t like their chances with Houston MacArthur’s Isaiah Chambers. Chris Daniels from Euless Trinity is a tossup. Trophy Club Byron Nelson’s Brandon Bowen appears to be a Baylor lean. But that would depend on if UCLA/USC offer. If they do, then Baylor may have a fight on its hands. If not, then Baylor is the clear leader. I still think they’re going to get a JUCO(s) out of this. I guess there’s the chance Jordan Elliott flips back from Houston. I think he’s going to sign with USC. Flower Mound Marcus DE Andrew Fitzgerald has Baylor in his Top 5 and should visit soon. I know he would like to make a decision before the season starts. McKinney North’s Justin Madubuike is another candidate. But he has a ton of suitors. Look, I get the angst about this position. It’s a process. You can’t hurry up to wait. It’s not like the coaching staff is sitting around not doing anything about this. This is part of the reality of Baylor recruiting at a higher level. Lots of traffic for these guys. If Baylor wanted to get Jarrod McLin from Carthage, then it would have already had him. But the staff isn’t so it’s working its way through this.

Q: Are we in the running for Chris Daniels?

A: Yes. I mentioned last week in the Blitz that he said he should be coming to visit. Sounds like it will happen this weekend.

Q: With his high school fall camp/football practice starting up fairly soon, do we know if Brandon Bowen plans to visit Baylor before his practices start up at Byron Nelson? Should BU still feel pretty good about its chance of landing Bowen?

A: I’ve heard that Bowen is coming to visit next week. What day I don’t know yet. Still, he is arguably one of the toughest recruits I can ever recall. I’ve texted him before, and I know he reads them. He just doesn’t respond – not to me. Not to anyone. That said, it’s anyone’s guess if he’s coming. I’m probably going to have to physically get to a Nelson fall camp session in August and find out. That’s how I got him in May. I continue to pry. Just bear with this process. I think Bowen is just one of those kids who just kind of tunes everything out and when he does something, he does it on a whim. I do think he’s going to come to Baylor. I have no idea when that’s going to happen. He’s my top choice of any of the DL candidates Baylor is pursuing.

Q: Do the Duvernay twins (Devin and Donovan) have any plans to visit Baylor before they start their senior year at Sachse?

Of the two twins, which would you say Baylor is in a better position to land? I realize they have stated that ideally they would like to play together in college, but I am just wondering which of the two might have stronger feelings toward BU?

A: I think there’s a chance they may come before Sachse starts fall camp. It could be that weekend of Aug. 7-8 when it’s likely a good number of them are coming. I’m going to predict that both of them will not play at the same school. The offer lists don’t have much overlap. Donovan is simply not in the same position as Devin is. Now, if they come to Baylor, great. What would be disappointing is if Devin wants to go to a place where his brother hasn’t been offered, and tells the school he’s not coming until his brother is offered. I don’t see that happening. But if it did, I wouldn’t like that. I know Donovan likes Baylor quite a bit. But he’s going to ride this out. I can see this going all the way to NSD 2016.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News