ADVERTISEMENT

Random thoughts, week 6

cookphotoworks

Feb 5, 2013
Current Big 12 Standings. Still no common opponents. Oklahoma and Iowa State are, for all practical purposes, out of it. They're both three games behind Kansas State and have a loss to them. KSU would have to end at 5-4 and they both go undefeated to move ahead of them. To get the second slot is mathematically possible, but practically, both those teams look dead in the water.
Oklahoma went from ranked 9th in the first week AP poll to looking like Rice against Texas. That 49-0 murder was not as close as the score indicates. If it had been a six man game, they would have invoked the mercy rule. The second half could have been played with a running clock.
It was the worst loss in Oklahoma history. It took them over an hour to show up for the post game presser. The losing team usually goes first to allow the winning team time for the trophy presentation.
The other three Big 12 games this weekend included two that went to the wire, and Texas Tech put up a good fight against Oklahoma State.
Baylor's the only team to score more than 14 points against Iowa State, so their defense has been pretty good. However, the Cyclones have only scored one touchdown in the last two games.
There's not a super team in the conference. Oklahoma State has looked solid.
Kansas State and Texas Tech are off this week. Baylor plays Thursday. TCU goes into their second straight showdown week against an undefeated team, taking on Oklahoma State. The frogs are a 3.5 favorite at home.
Kansas visits Oklahoma. Is this a mirage, or could Kansas blow out Oklahoma at home?
You can't win a conference championship in October, but you can lose one.

standings8.png

With Baylor off this week, here are some highlights from Nebraska-Rutgers.

giphy.gif

Outside of the B12, Alabama dropped to third in the polls. They're coming off of a tougher than expected game against A&M, and are going to Tennessee. Neyland Stadium seats 102,000 people and is sold out. Bryce Young was out against A&M. The Tide is still a 7 1/2 point favorite, but this could be a game to watch.

Houston scored four touchdowns in the 4th quarter to edge out Memphis, 33-32. They scored two touchdowns in the final 1:17, which included recovering an onside kick.

I saw something at the Crawford-Marlin game that was a first for me. If you aren't aware, Texas is having a hard time getting referees for high school football games, and Marlin already had to move their game with Mart from Friday to Thursday and play in Mart, even though the game was scheduled to be played in Marlin, because they couldn't get a referee crew. Anyway, Crawford went up three scores. Marlin scored and went for two. The receiver dropped the ball in the end zone. The rest happened across the field, but the Marlin superintendent came out on the field and started arguing with the referee. There wasn't anybody from Crawford within 20 yards (I cover Crawford) so, I wasn't worried about it. Next, a flag hits the ground. Then, another flag hits the turf. Then, the referees hat hits the turf. Then, the referee points and they kicked the Marlin superintendent out of the stadium. Marlin had to kick off from their own five yard line. They kicked it out of bounds, and had to kick off from their 2 1/2, It got returned for a touchdown. I see now why Marlin has trouble getting referee crews.

Superintendents can't act like that.

Kevin's been remarkably restrained with the Vikings winning and Green Bay losing today. I don't think he's ready to buy a Kirk Cousins jersey, yet, but he has to be happy with the season so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News