ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts on the Spring Game

cookphotoworks

Feb 5, 2013
Is anyone steering the ship? Is Baylor falling prey to paralysis by analysis?

Aranda's answer to the question, "How are you going to let us know who the starting QB is?" was "I don't know." Choosing the starting quarterback might be difficult, but letting us know shouldn't require a huddle up and discussion. Commit to a press release or an announcement. It's a decision that shouldn't take more than a cursory thought.

23Spring-0354.jpg

Blake Shapen makes a pass to Jake Roberts as Dave Aranda looks on

During the spring game, everything seemed undecided. Having the offense in gold and the defense in green made some sense, but the scoring system was weirdly convoluted, and according to Aranda they were discussing it during the week and guys were saying "the offense gets points for this, so the defense should get points for this". I guess my answer to that was, "who cares?" Why spend a second's thought on the scoring system for the green and gold game? The team seems to be sweating decisions that shouldn't occupy any brain power, and big decisions seem unaddressed.

There was discussion during camp about whether to go to a three or four man defensive line. I asked TJ Franklin about his preference and where he thought it was going and he said, "I don't discriminate." He also said a three man line sometimes has a linebacker slide into a down position, so as long as they were on the same page, it was all good. That sounds like they're still playing a little of both, and haven't decided on a base defense. Maybe that will work, but my limited understanding of football is that whether you're playing a three or a four also dictates linebacker assignments and that you need to commit to one or the other.

Aranda said they've committed to a starter at QB, and that's good, although I didn't see a nickel's worth of difference. Shapen had several passes that should have been intercepted. Neither had a deep ball. Most of the completions were check downs. Still looking for an alpha receiver. Tight ends looked good. None of the running backs jumped out, but several had good runs.

23Spring-5D-0015.jpg

Jonathan Davidson scores off a pass from Sawyer Robertson for the first TD of the game

With a game like this, everyone knows everyone else's tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses, and since the team is playing itself, it's hard to know if the secondary is good, or if the wide receivers aren't. Ketron Jackson didn't show as an alpha. Monaray Baldwin can still run in a broken field. Drake Dabney looked like he's fully recovered and played well. Jonathan Davidson has the size to create some mismatches, and has decent hands. If I were setting up the offense, I'd look at Davidson to be my fade guy and stretch the field, Baldwin to be the flea that gets loose cause nobody sees him, and then stretch the field every so often with a go route, use the tight ends to go across the middle, and I don't know what to do with Jackson, cause for all the talk this spring, he got covered pretty solidly, and the only real play I saw him make was a check down where he ran forty yards to get five.

My read? There's still a lot of work to do.

23Spring-0429.jpg

Monaray Baldwin shows he still has the speed and the moves to get yardage in a broken field

Reactions: IndyYes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News