ADVERTISEMENT

Photos and thoughts from the Thursday scrimmage

cookphotoworks

Feb 5, 2013
The word for today is "rebuilding."
The indoor training area is being renovated. By renovated, we mean stripped to the steel frame and completely rebuilt. The field was 80 yards long. It's being extended and some offices are being attached. While I had read about the renovations, it was still surprising to see a building that opened around fifteen years ago being gutted.
The absence of the indoor practice field and interview area has changed the practices.
The are a lot of new faces on the field. With NIL and the transfer portal, players are moving and schools have to adjust.

It starts with the quarterback room. Last year at this time, it was Bohanan, Shapen, Drones, and walk ons. This year, it's Shapen, Sawyer Robertson, and some guys you'll never see except in the spring game.

#12 Blake Shapen 6'0", 200 lbs redshirt junior
untitled-2-106.jpg

#13 Sawyer Robertson 6'4", 210 lbs, redshirt sophomore
untitled-2-238.jpg

We're just into spring ball, but it's clear that Sawyer Robertson is the new hotness. Blake Shapen is under pressure. Shapen may win the starting job, but in the interview, Shawn Bell became more animated when talking about Robertson. With Shapen, he was sympathetic, but it's hard to miss the difference when he goes from saying, "nobody's harder on Blake than Blake" to saying about Robertson, "you can put him in any kind of offense and he can run it."

It won't be THE consideration, but it will be A consideration as to what happens after they name a starter. Robertson came in knowing there's an incumbent QB, so waiting for his chance was not just a possibility, but a probability. What happens if Robertson wins the starting job? Last year, the loser of the competition transferred. After Drones transferred, Baylor finished the season with one scholarship QB. That's not optimal. Shapen started as a two sport athlete, and has already exceeded expectations by beating out an incumbent. Shapen's got a reasonable shot at keeping his job, but he needs to do a few things. First, last year is history. His trajectory had been steadily uphill until the injury early last season. He needs to expect to win the competition for the starting job and act like he's going to win the competition. He can't play scared. Just off measurables, Robertson is going to be a tough competitor.

I don't believe the old "rah, rah, they're all rooting for each other" story line. I've competed, and yeah, when someone I'm trying to beat out does something good, I say, "great job" and pat them on the back, but I don't mean it. Everybody's not a winner, and no real competitor likes being outshone. They do like being pushed, so you want the competition to be good to push you towards your best, but you still want to leave them face down in the dust.

There's also the leadership issue. Shapen, by his nature, is more inside himself. Robertson is more gregarious. He talks more easily, and projects more. Shapen glances at you. Robertson looks at you.

The defense will also undergo significant changes. There are a few familiar faces coming back, but there are more new ones, and ones that haven't seen significant playing time. Basic question: are the existing guys going through a growth process, or are they going to be bypassed by the new guys?

#97 Cooper Lanz, 6'3", 270, redshirt sophomore, 1 year letterman
untitled-2-676.jpg

#35 Jackie Marshall, DL, 6'3", 281 lbs, RS sophomore
untitled-2-730.jpg
I'm not going to pretend I know what's going to happen with the defensive line. It's going to be different, but we're ten feet down the road, and have no clue where the highway ends.

#25 Jacoby Clarke, RB, 5'11", 231, RS senior, takes the role of quarterback for some hand off drills
untitled-2-788.jpg

#26 Jonah Burton, WR, 5'11", 203 lbs, RS sophomore, running after a catch.
untitled-2-908.jpg

#83, Elijah Bean, WR, 6'4", 220 lbs, RS sophomore
untitled-2-858.jpg

#98 Isaiah Hankins, K, 6'0", 189 lbs, RS sophomore
untitled-2-1041.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News