ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Hutchinson CC DT Jerrell Boykins commits to Baylor (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

With the nose tackle situation in the middle of its defense changing for 2023, Baylor needed immediate help.

It got it in Hutchinson (KS) Community College defensive tackle Jerrell Boykins who announced on social media Monday that he was committing to the Bears. Boykins took an official visit to Baylor over the weekend.

Boykins will have three years to play three seasons. He secured 13 offers including P5 offers from Nebraska, Colorado and Washington State along with potential American Athletic Conference Champion Tulane. Boykins was rated a 3-star with a 5.6 when he was in the 2021 class.

“Coach [Dennis] Johnson said he loved my film,’’ Boykins said. “And yes they are losing [Apu Ika] who’s going to the NFL draft so they wanted to bring in someone to fill that role. He really likes my power and explosiveness.
"The coaches assured me on the visit that they would develop me as a player.''
Baylor will need someone in the middle to set the tone for the 3-3-5. Defensive productivity numbers aren’t necessarily a factor for nose tackled. But a good one can clog the A gaps and then funnel things properly. Boykins has seven solo tackles and 11 assisted tackles this season.

“I’ve heard the atmosphere is great there,’’ Boykins said. “I would say my style of play is very disruptive and dominant.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News