Big 12 Media Days, Random thoughts

cookphotoworks

Feb 5, 2013
Here are audio recordings of the coaches during their press conferences:

Bob Stoops

Charlie Strong

Mike Gundy

Paul Rhoads

If I had a dollar for every time someone used the phrase, “chip on your shoulder” I could afford that new camera.

The top question this year is, “Why do you think you were picked second?” Baylor was picked second cause TCU won their bowl game and Baylor didn’t.

There are a ton of award watch lists released this time of year. Reporters are interested in them. Players aren’t.

There’s a weird little dance that goes on where reporters try to get players to say something provocative about another team, while players try not to say anything provocative about another team. Watched a guy breathlessly do an interview with himself over Shawn Oakman not being able to identify Emmanuel Ogbah.

At 5’ 6”, I’m used to being the shortest guy in the room. Standing next to Oakman, Billings, Drango, and Coleman, I felt like the shortest guy on the planet.

Charlie Strong wears really expensive suits. Clear from the press conference he hasn’t given up on Swoopes. He mentioned a couple of times that when Tebow was at Florida he was surrounded by a lot of talent, and said that Swoopes really wants to prove something to the critics.

Art Briles looks like he wants to pull off his tie and grab a ball cap.

Paul Rhoads had a tough day. Iowa State is coming off a 2-10 season, and his only real talking points were that they had stadium upgrades, their fans were really loyal, and they were hoping for help from JUCO transfers. Not many Iowa State reporters made it down, so his conference lasted about half the time of everyone else’s. There was a “dead man walking” vibe going on. Kinda reminded me of Gene Kranz in Apollo 13. “Let’s look at this from a viewpoint of status. What do we have on the team that’s good?”

Bob Stoops and Oklahoma, for the first time since the formation of the Big 12, went two years without getting a share of the conference championship. It’s also the first time since 1999 they’ve been picked lower than 2nd in the preseason poll. It’s not just the 8-5, it’s losing three of the last five, getting bombed in a bowl game and not having a starting QB picked out yet that has people worried. So, is Stoops heading to Mack Brown territory, or is this an anomaly?

Mike Gundy talked about his relationship with Boone Pickens. Said it’s been really good for several months. I'm never comfortable when guys talk about their relationships with each other. There was a weird vibe going on at OSU towards the end of last year, and I wonder how much changed with the punt return that helped the Cowboys beat Oklahoma in overtime.

Reactions: garemosone
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News