ADVERTISEMENT

Bear Hoop Scoop - 6/14

Adams

May 29, 2001
With much thanks due to a request by El Mariachi, we will now have a new feature on the site. Because basketball is a different animal when it comes to recruiting, we will do updates on a number of recruits is this new feature called Bear Hoop Scoop. Obviously, we will have some names drop off the list and new names added as the Bears move through the recruiting process. Initially, I am thinking that Bear Hoop Scoop will run every two weeks. If we (actually you) see fit for it to run more often than that, we will run it. In short, we will run it enough so that this site is in the loop on Baylor basketball recruiting. Also, it is important to understand that this will be a feature that will run in addition to regular recruiting updates. This will never run as a story but as a post on the message board like the Independence Column. Sometimes there is information that needs to stay within the Baylor community and need not be read by other school’s fans on a premium story. As this develops, this will also include insight into the program as well and will become a basketball dedicated “Independence Column’ if you will, though you will still get basketball information within the Independence Column. Keep your thoughts and your suggestions coming.

As with the Independence Column, one person can ruin it for everyone. If we learn that this information is being copied and pasted to another site or into e-mails and forwarded to other people, we will have to change the parameters around Bear Hoop Scoop. I want to be able to talk freely and give you my thoughts and feelings on players, situations and the program. That’s why it will be posted on the premium board and not in a story for the network to see. The information does not need to be read by everyone.

Henry Dugat PG 6-0/160 Dayton, TX – Like I said earlier. I don’t think it is beyond rational thinking to think that Baylor sits very well for Dugat and is the likely choice. Coach Drew and staff have worked him hard and made him a priority while I am of the understanding that Texas has been recruiting him because he’s such a good player but wants a bigger guard because AJ Abrams is small and they don’t want two ‘small’ guards. We’ll know much more after he visits Texas on the 18th and 19th. Could find something out later in the week. We’ll stay right on top of this and get the word to you as soon as we know.

Byron Eaton PG 5-11/210 Dallas, TX – With Byron, I tend to think that we are way on the outside looking in. He has previously listed Louisville, Cincinnati, Oklahoma State, Georgia Tech and K-State and when forced to give a sixth school, he listed SMU. SMU? I talked to one of the National Rivals.com guys tonight and he knows this situation and tends to think that Eaton is leaning towards Louisville.

Harvey Hale SG 6-4/190 Albuquerque, NM – While it would appear that Baylor is on the outside looking in, the Bears are at least in the hunt to get an official visit from the New Mexico prospect. He made it clear to me that he has not determined who would get his official visits. He did speak rather glowingly of Stan Heath and the Arkansas program and I would have to assume that they are his leader.

Terrell Harris SG 6-4/175 Dallas, TX – While he has remarked over and over that he is looking for a place that will show him that they need him, it was thought for a while that Baylor was, again, on the outside looking in. Today, I’m telling you that yes, Baylor does have a chance. The only thing that you can ask for, at this point, outside of a commitment, is for a kid to listen and all indications say that he is listening. He is really close with his family and proximity with Waco is giving us play. He also has good things to say about the staff as well as the playing time situation.

Calvin Miles SF 6-6/210 Dallas, TX – While some people might feel pretty good about Baylor’s chances with Calvin Miles, I’m not so optimistic. It seems to be a tug-o-war not unlike the Kellen Winslow vs. Kellen Winslow Jr. battle a few years back when dad wanted Michigan State and son wanted Washington. The compromise became Miami (FL). It seems that Calvin is sold on Roy Williams and North Carolina but his dad is sold on Texas for proximity reasons. In the end, I think North Carolina might be the one if Texas doesn’t get him.

Kevin Rogers PF 6-8/220 Dallas, TX – Put this guy in the same department at Byron Eaton. I don’t think we even register on his radar right now and when you couple that with the fact that Miles and he have become close while playing for Team Texas, he has to be considered very long odds for the Bears.

Rashad Woods SF 6-7/215 Cleveland, TX – It went from committed to Baylor to opening his recruited but still having Baylor in his top group to Baylor being an after thought. At this point you have to think that all thoughts of Rashad Woods coming to Baylor are gone. With close ties to the coaching staff, many thought that the connection would carry over and have some staying effect but with the school on him right now when coupled with the love that he is getting nationwide, him making the move to be in Waco just won’t happen.

Carl Sims G 5-10/165 Waco, TX - The football commit has declared and apparently been ok’ed by the Baylor staff for him to explore his pursuits in basketball as well when he gets on campus. It is still early being that he has not even started his senior year but I wouldn’t expect this to go unchanged or at least moderated. The last person to do this with great success, that I can remember, was Charlie Ward. Of course he won the Heisman Trophy and the National Championship at Florida State in 1993, then was taken in the NBA draft by the New York Knicks and had a 10-year plus, career in the NBA and never played a down of professional football. Recently Justin Gage at Missouri played football and was a good bench player for the Tigers but came out of the three spot in basketball and was really a great athlete and defensive player. Calvin Harris was a QB and tried to do it a couple years back at Maryland but after his sophomore season, Friegden basically told him to crap or get off the pot. Needless to say, the double is made much easier with a big man as opposed to guards because the guard spot requires so much skills practice and shooting that dividing time usually makes you average at both sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News