ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Spring FB 2023: Early read on the offense

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Baylor’s spring football season enters its final week. There are two more practices before Saturday’s Green & Gold game at McLane Stadium. The Bears had their second scrimmage this past Saturday. Some thoughts as we hit the home stretch:

Quarterback – If you listened to or watched Baylor head coach Dave Aranda on Saturday, he called the battle for the starting job between Blake Shapen and Sawyer Robertson pretty tight and that he’d like to name a starter once spring ends. That doesn’t mean he will. I don’t see that happening, but you never know. Based on what Aranda said, in my opinion I think Robertson may have the edge. Could be wrong. We’re not allowed to see practices after the first 20 minutes. Given that Shapen ended the year so poorly, if he’s performing in camp fairly close to what he did in October and November last year, then that’s why Robertson has the edge. Even if Shapen winds up winning the job, I think the hook will be short with him.

Running back – In general, this position group has changed so much over the years because college programs do it by committee. Not really worried about this group since it added veteran Dominic Richardson from Oklahoma State. You mix him with Richard Reece and Qualan Jones and you have a solid trio. Not sure if you can expect the Bears to have a 1,000-yard rusher this year.

Wide Receiver – Aranda promoted Arkansas transfer Ketron Jackson as being the one player who has made significant strides to become one of the leaders of this team through the first two scrimmages. Given that praise, that’s exactly what this room needs. My early thinking about the top three receivers are Jackson, Hal Prelsey and Monaray Baldwin.

Offensive Line – I still think this is a work in progress. The only way to really know who is where is the first snap with the first team at the spring game. Still, I believe it’s going to take through a couple of weeks of fall camp before this settles in because and offensive line needs all the reps it can get. BYU transfer Campbell Barrington is still on course to be the starting left tackle. Tate Williams has moved from tackle to guard. Gavin Byers has moved from tackle to guard. Then there’s Clark Barrington, the older and other BYU transfer, who should figure into this starting group. Maybe center. We’ll see.

Tight End – Maybe the position I’m least concerned about. Even though Kelsey Johnson was dealing with an injury earlier this spring, that’s not a big deal for this spring. The coaches know what he can do. Mix him in with Drake Dabney and North Texas transfer Jake Roberts and Baylor is fine there.

On Tuesday, we’ll look at the defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News