ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Spring FB 2023: Dennis Johnson, Gabe Hall, TJ Franklin

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Baylor defensive line coach Dennis Johnson along with returning veterans T.J. Franklin and Gabe Hall talked about the transition this defensive front will face in 2023. Playing more 4-man fronts was discussed.

Dennis Johnson

(New guys on the D-line, how are they fitting in)
So, (in) spring ball, you get to really focus on the technique, you're not really too much worried about an opponent. And so, you get extra time. We have the walkthrough days in between practice days, and you really get to see those guys grow probably the fastest within like a week or so, from knowing, like, absolutely nothing about the way that you teach it, to seeing them grow. And so, the young guys and the new guys within the position are really thriving as it relates to starting (?) technique. Now, they’re still a long way away, (we’ll have) more plays and all that other stuff, but (with) just the technique of like, coming out of my hips, using our hands, they’ve made some strides.

(Gabe talked about the energy of this group … is that something that you notice as well?)
Yeah, so, Coach Aranda does a really good job in our team meetings, talking about playing with the energy and edge. (Coach) Pow(ledge) is the most energetic person you'll ever be around. And so, there's an emphasis put on that. You don't want to just play technique for the sake of playing technique, you want to play it with energy, and we think that's where our edge is. And so, you can see it screaming some days and then the days where it's not, we have to hold each other accountable and make it get to the level where it's supposed to be for us to be good upfront.

(How's Jerrell doing?)
So, JB’s doing well. Coming from a junior college into this setting, playing at this level is different. There's an adjustment. (In) the offseason, he had to work to really get in shape, coming from where he was. The team around him really pushes him and you can kind of see him starting to come along now. He's not so much into his shell as he used to be. He’s starting to get settled in and you can kind of see his personality come out in his play, so it's really good to see. Still a long way to go, but we're definitely making strides. He’s doing good.

(Conversation to moving Jackie to D Line from linebacker)
Jackie always wanted to play inside (?). When we recruited him to bring him here, that's where he was gonna be originally. We were really deep interior wise before, and so, he could play with the JACK because that's where his reps would be. So, he's been fired up. He didn't blind an eye and I'm really proud of him because he's almost like a fish in water; it's almost natural for him in that alpha position, that fill position, (the) same thing that TJ plays. Going into a five technique – which is a lot like the JACK – so he's thriving. Really proud of Jackie.

(How can we expect this defense to be different from Roberts to Powledge)
So, with Pow, he's a bit more, probably, aggressive with us getting up the field a little bit more than what we were before. We did a lot of two-gap stuff across the front to stop the run, and we still have that stuff. But really owning (and) setting edges, strong edges; if I'm a three-tech, if I’m a five-tech, you really get big in your gap and really owning your space and I think that's the biggest thing right now that he's brought.

(On Cooper)
I'm so proud of ‘Coop right now. So, ‘Coop, he plays in and nose force (?) at the moment. He's really probably more natural at the nose position. He's really strong. You should see him in the weight room when he power cleans, he could get 330 (pounds) off the ground, get under it. And taking that strength that he has and applying it to the nose position where his hips, hands and knocking back the center and taking on blocks, so, I feel like that spot is better for him right now. But he's still – like I said – he's still playing both and he's still filling out as we go through spring. But he's doing a really good job of taking on the new technique. It's not easy to play those, but he is doing a heck of a job.

(Lost a lot of experience, Gabe and TJ, how much does that help with their experience)
It helps a lot. And the thing with those two is when we got here in 2020, they were not starters. They've been through the whole process, from the back end, working their way up to now being guys. And so, their journey, able to mentor the young guys in the room now that's on that similar journey that they've been on. Because it can be hard when you walk in a room and you got a guy who's really talented, like some of the guys up front, and you're in the back and you're watching (the) film and your play’s not like that right now. But you have to understand, you have to go through it all. They had to go through it all to get to the point; and continuously improving. And so, just having them there for that part when they're not in the building, when guys might be down, to lift them up, ‘Hey, it's OK. You’re going to show up tomorrow and you're gonna get better.’ That changes everything. And I think that's the benefit of really have them in the room.

(Losing Apu and Jaxon, what do you see from this group that gives you confidence that you guys can still have plenty of success?)
Kind of like what (Jerry) just asked me with having Gabe and TJ in the room, people who've been there, kind of done it before and have to take it to the next level now. So, that leadership gives me confidence that the young guys that’s coming up, the new faces – the Jackie's the JB’s – that they're gonna catch up to that same speed. You know what I mean? And so, that part of leadership gives me the confidence that we'll be OK.

(Any other guys that we haven’t talked about that might play some?)
Devonte Tezino, he's gonna have to step up, coming up here. Trey Wilson, he's an early enrollee freshman, playing that ‘F’ position. (He’s) still learning a lot because it’s all brand new to him, but I’m pushing them and getting them better and more technically sound and how he could show up, too. So, I think those two guys, for sure, there’s ways of pushing them to possibly see the field outside of the main stuff I’ve already talked about.

(When you’re preaching buying in, how helpful is it to point to Apu and Jaxon and being able to say, we get guys to the next level)
You talking about like in recruiting?

(Both recruiting or just the freshman coming into the building)
So, I mean, they've all seen it, you know what I mean? You got teach tape of guys doing it, and then they’re like, ‘Oh, that's what it looks like.’ Yeah, that's the technique we’re talking. And they’ve done it at practice, and they've done it on Saturdays, so, just to see that this is what it takes, like the images of it, it helps a lot, because everybody knows those names because they're really good players. And that's why they have their Pro Day the way that they had it yesterday, which is huge. And so, it gives them confidence. It's the same room, the same type of drills they've had to do that they're doing now and hopefully get them in that position one day.

(Playing guys at different spots to get them more versatile?)
Again, like, that’s spring. And so, you have the opportunity to put guys in different positions. I mean, as the season goes, things happen. You have to move people around. And so, you can use these bank reps now to have them in case they need to move positions. And so, it's cool to see – like, Coop was a great example. Like, this is his first time ever playing some nose for us and he's going through like he's done it 100 times before, and so, that's another weapon that we have on the defense.

(Expecting more four man, three man fronts)
As we continue to go through spring, we'll find out what we're really good at. Pow is doing a fantastic job of mixing it all up every day. Whether it's a blitz period or a team period, the different front, the three down, the four down fronts, and we're gonna find out what we're good at. And I think again, this is what you do in the spring when they give you these 15 practices to get that done.

TJ Franklin

(Do you feel responsibility to be a leader) Yeah for sure. They’ve been kind of pushing that role on me since last year. I guess I wasn’t real comfortable with it last year, so I just kind of sat in the back and let the older guys lead. But this year, I feel it’s my responsibility to take that leadership role and try to push everybody.

(Encouraging signs from younger players) Definitely, the young guys, a few of them are surprising us because they’re in different positions and they’re excelling really well. I’m excited to see what they can do.

(Why did feel you need to be a leader) Maturity, a mature mindset going into the season. It used to be fun and games, but now I’m more determined, like I’m on a mission. I have to elevate everybody else.

(Young guys who have caught your eye) Jackie Marshall, Cooper Lanz, Jerrell Boykins, most of the whole defensive line, they’ve all been excelling fast during the first few days of spring.

(Watching veterans last couple of years) Just having the maturity of taking the work when it needs to be done and the fun when it needs to be done. The guys last year chopped and mixed it up all together and it made it fun. But I felt like for us it really wasn’t what we needed. So I feel that having the focus on the focus and then the fun on the fun, I feel that is the biggest thing.

(Motivation from last season) Definitely. We’re all determined more now than ever because last year we were a team that learned from experiences rather than being told what was going to be happen. I feel like now that a lot of the guys that played last year that were younger learned how it felt that we weren’t the team we were supposed to be.

(Boykins) He’s come a long way, an extremely long way. He’s one of those guys that you have to kind of push every day. Now that spring ball has started, you see him come out of his box a little more and play a little harder and work out harder. He’s becoming more comfortable.

(Sum up D-line) Energetic, ready to work and ready to get after it.

(Powledge) He’s definitely tweaked a few things. The biggest thing he’s changed the defensive mindset with the energy we bring to practice every day. The energy will take people along as we practice more. The emphasis is on the energy. He’s going to bring it every day.

Gabe Hall

(Do you need to be a leader) For sure. Me and TJ are among the few guys who have a lot of experience on the defense. It’s important for us to work hard because they’re always looking at you. I’m playing defensive end right now.

(D-line group) To be honest, energy. Because we always bring energy and the coaches bring energy. Some days you’re tired, but when everybody brings energy it makes me want to work harder every day.

(What did learn from Ika and Jaxon) We learned about technique and having a strong mentality. Talking to athletes like them, you see how people think about the game differently and how they play the game different. You take that and add it to your own style.

(Replacing guys like Ika and Player) It’s going to take guys like me and TJ pushing the players. They were like young guys who grew into special players, and I think the guys we’ve got right now can become special players.

(Guys moving to D-line) Jackie Marshall moved from Jack to the defensive line. He’s already a strong dude who is learning more technique from Coach DJ, so he’s growing every day to become a better player, and you can see in practice that he’s willing to grow and will become a great player one day.

(Seeing guys at Pro Day) It’s wild and exciting watching people like Apu go through the combine and stuff like that. It’s amazing. I get to watch him and say that’s going to be me next year. You know they’re brothers and that makes you happy to see them succeed. It’s just made me more hungry. I know if they can do it, I can do it. I want to be up there with them. So I’m just going to work hard every day and be up there.

(Motivation from last year) We worked very hard last year, but just because you work hard doesn’t mean that you’ll win every single game. So we know we’ve got to work hard to go out there and play good, and we know we’ve got to execute. That’s just how it goes.

(Boykins) He’s grown a lot. He’s come in and worked hard. He wasn’t really used to that at first, but he’s grown a lot. The older guys are pushing him. We know he’s going to be a good player and when the season comes he’s going to be ready to go.

(Powledge) Cool dude with energy, and he’s driving every day. You see a guy smiling all the time and he really pushes the team.

We use a three-man and four-man fronts.

Reactions: Mar.Gen.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News