ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor recruiting tidbits (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Some recruiting tidbits to throw your way as we start to close out the month of May. The dead period ends at midnight on Memorial Day, May 31. It will mark the end of this period that lasted for nearly 14 ½ months.

There will not be a Baylor Blitz on Friday because of the Holiday Weekend. But keep in mind the first camp is set for June 5. Activity should be picking up leading up to that one.

>Fort Bend Hightower 2022 Ath Caleb Douglas said he has scheduled an official visit to Baylor for June 18-20. The Bears are one of 18 offers. Baylor is looking at him at wide receiver.

“What they like about my game is that I can go up and get the ball on any 50/50 ball plus I’m a threat anywhere on the field not just the red zone,’’ Douglas said. “I will describe my game as running hard every snap, energetic and if the ball coming my way it’s mine!’’

Douglas’ best time in the 40 is at 4.53

>Douglas’ OV could have a correlation to what happened with Gladewater wide receiver and Rivals No. 168 D.J. Allen. Allen tweeted in the spring that he was taking an official visit to Baylor for the weekend of June 25-27.

However, on Tuesday Allen said he is now taking an unofficial visit to BU on June 23. We’ll see how this recruitment develops because there’s now a visit scheduled to TCU on June 25. Allen confirmed he had changed those plans.

>Baylor has lined up four other official visits with its 2022 commits. The Woodlands College Park tight end Cody Mladenka, Red Oak tight end Kelsey Johnson and Camden (AR) offensive tackle Timothy Dawn are each coming in for theirs June 18-20. Lubbock-Cooper defensive end Kyler Jordan is scheduled for June 25-27.

>Biloxi, MS 4-star defensive end R.J. Moss said Wednesday he does plan to take an unofficial visit to Baylor. He said he was looking at June 22. That would be ahead of a scheduled OV to West Virginia on June 24.

Moss has been talking with Baylor defensive line coach Dennis Johnson, a fellow native of Mississippi.

“I’ve been in contact with him and he’s a great coach to talk to and him being from Mississippi we have some things in common,’’ Moss said. He said I balled out this year [2020] and that I was good player.’’

Baylor is in pursuit of the No. 8 player in the state of Mississippi.

“My strengths would be being physical at the line and stopping the run and being a threat in the pass rush and getting my hands up on the ball,’’ Moss said. “My areas I need to improve on would be keeping my hands active during the pass and come off the ball quicker.”

>Baylor gets its chance to put its best face forward for Tenaha 2022 Ath Jeremy Patton when he takes his official visit to Baylor June 18-20. Patton’s stock has been blowing up in recent months with other P5 schools like LSU, Texas, Michigan, Arkansas and Oklahoma.

On May 14, Patton released a Top 10 that included the Bears. Patton has said he would like to make a decision before the start of the 2021 high school football season. Given the attention he’s receiving, that may take some more time.

Baylor sees him in the Star role that Jalen Pitre is currently patrolling.

Briefly…
Cy Ranch 2023 defensive tackle Ashton Porter – we wrote about him in the blitz last week – said that he plans to take an unofficial visit to Baylor on June 15…Fort Bend Ridge Point 2023 defensive tackle DK Kalu, who visited Baylor for the April 24 Green and Gold spring game, said he also plans on taking an unofficial in June. He just doesn’t have a date yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News