ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor hopes Jackson's presence, physicality lifts WR group (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Timing is everything. Maybe Ketron Jackson and Baylor have it locked down this time.

At the time when he was a 2021 prospect and going through the process, the then-Royse City and Rivals250 recruit strongly considered the Bears during the 2020 season.

And while he committed to Arkansas in early September, Baylor never stopped pushing. But when that season finished and head coach Dave Aranda made sweeping offensive coaching changes, Jackson stayed with the Razorbacks, signed and headed up to Fayetteville, AR.

But things change. After two seasons, Jackson went into the NCAA transfer portal and is coming to Baylor. He is scheduled be on campus around Jan. 14. Jackson chose Baylor over SMU and has two years of eligibility remaining.

“It was a new staff that I wasn’t too familiar with,’’ Jackson said about Baylor at the time of his recruitment. “I just wasn’t comfortable with everything just yet. Nothing against them. I just didn’t know them.’’

In his two seasons with the Razorbacks there was incremental progression through that offense directed by offensive coordinator Kendal Briles. As a true freshman in 2021, Jackson caught five passes for 97 yards and a touchdown.

In 2022, it got better with 16 receptions for 277 yards and three scores. He had a career-high four catches facing Alabama and career-high in yards with a 64-yard reception against Missouri State.

Jackson said he never considered entering the portal all season.

“It just came to me after the season,’’ he said. “No offense to Arkansas. Great fans. Great people. Great staff. I just wanted to be closer to home.’’

He said he kept his portal recruiting process private and that there were a select few schools that he would entertain. Jackson focused on Baylor and SMU. He visited both and went with the Bears.

The Bears 2022 wide receiver room lacked experience and consistent playmaking ability. It also didn’t have a physical pass catcher who could win the 50-50 balls. After averaging 17.3 yards per catch last fall, Baylor is hoping that happen.

“It was just a perfect fit for me,’’ Jackson said. “When I got to Baylor and talked with [wide receivers coach] Dallas Baker, I liked his approach. He had NFL experience and played at Florida

“They were pretty young at receiver last year and lost Tyquan [Thornton]. They missed that presence.’’

Of course, Baylor is still trying to solve its quarterback depth issues. But more options like the one Jackson offers can make the 2023 possibilities for the offense more attractive.

“I feel like my game is improving from running routes and speed,’’ Jackson said. “My hands have improved so I can make tough catches. When I come to Baylor, I’m just going to keep focusing on my route running, perfecting my craft and finding more ways to create separation.’’

On a personal note: I saw Jackson play against Aledo in the 2019 area playoffs at SMU’s Ford Stadium. While the Bearcats won handily, 52-24, Jackson caught all three touchdowns of six, 14 and 88 yards.

The 88-yard was nifty as he caught a screen, needed one block and then just ran away from everyone with track speed down the sideline. He has an opportunity to make an impact at Baylor if he works at it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News