ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Hopefuls talk Pro Day - Part II (Charlie Brewer, Dillon Doyle)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Past and present Baylor Bears took advantage of Monday's pro day to show all 32 NFL franchises their skills. For some it was their lone opportunity to make an impression.

DILLON DOYLE
(looking at you more as a linebacker or fullback) Linebacker, primarily, but some fullback/flex there, thankfully. So, really at this point, it’s just any way I can get on a roster and any way that I can impact a team. In a lot of ways, it’s saving a roster spot if I can do both. So, that’s kind of the positive of having that flexibility.

(exciting time for you) Of course, it’s a thing you dream about. But there’s a lot of work involved, and I’m really happy to watch these guys today and their performances. As soon as you finish the bowl game, you go to our site and you start training. And these guys have done a really great job with their prep, and I think they saw that with their times today. I’m hoping to get that opportunity here soon and be proud of the prep that I’ve put in.

(injury) At the NFLPA Bowl, I tore my MCL and PCL (on right knee). Kind of some tough grass there (laughs), but rehab is going great. I spent my first six weeks here in Waco, and the Baylor training staff did a crazy great job supporting me, and it was so great to be around everybody again. So, that’s been really positive, really pushing to be able to be healthy for a Pro Day on April 22, and I’m going to be 100% by the time I’m with a team and mini-camp starts. So, that’s really what matters. I think in a lot of ways you look back at your college career, and I’ve been lucky enough to be healthy through my whole career. I’ve never missed a game to do injury. So, in some ways, it was the best time for it to happen because I didn’t miss a game . . . well, I missed the NFLPA game, but I’ll be healthy when I go to a team, and that’s really what matters.

(your Pro Day) Hoping for April 22 (in Waco). (which teams) At that point, it doesn’t really matter because whoever comes, they’ll get times and measurements and all that, and it’ll go to all 32 (teams).

(what will you be able to do by then) Not sure yet. Rehab is kind of a fluid process. So, like I said, I’m hoping for April 22, because if everything goes well, I’ll be ready to go and hopefully able to do everything. But I can’t commit to anything right now. Obviously, this is an important time for me to just continue getting better every day. And that’s been the focus is just take it done day at a time and continue to improve.

(teams you’ve talked to) At the NFLPA game, I talked to probably 15 of the 32. I can’t list them, but it’s been really good to get to know a lot of the scouts. They put their lives into discovering talent. And it’s cool to hear their stories, too, because they’ve been in the business for a long time. They’ve scouted a lot of players that I look up to, so it’s cool to hear their stories. And they’ve given me words of encouragement throughout the way as well. So, just cool to hear about them as people, and just hope ti impress them here in the coming weeks.

(how did the injury affect your training) For a while there, it was just 100% rehab, not a ton of training going on, just because it limits you. Obviously, upper body, you can train. You start to focus on the things that you can do. So, upper body, single leg stuff. And then, obviously, one limb, a quarter of your body, can’t really do much. So really just working back to full range of motion. That was the focus for a while. And these next few weeks will be huge for getting back to that PR space.

(do teams seem to like that versatility) Yeah, definitely. NFL teams want to save a roster spot. Like I said, they’re not working with unlimited guys. I know a lot of linebackers try to learn how to (deep) snap just so that NFL teams can save a roster spot. So, it’s really just about learning to increase your value, and hopefully the NFL scouts have seen me do that kind of flip-flopping both ways.

(have you worked on snapping) A little bit. The injury kind of nixed that a little bit. But yeah, I’ve worked it a little bit.

(what’s the process been like for you) I think it’s been eye-opening, I think, would be the word that I would use. You talk to a lot of NFL players and, in a lot of ways, it is what they expect but in a lot of ways, it isn’t what they expect. I think it is what you expect when it comes to, the guys around you are the best at every school that they went to. So, you get impressed with a lot of guys. Like I was training at XG in Florida, and just so many good dudes there. You get the chance to connect with a few guys from other schools, but really spending every day with them has been eye-opening because you realize there are great guys everywhere. I’ve spent a lot of times with guys like Joey Fisher from Shepherd (University) in West Virginia and Marte Mapu from Sacramento State, those guys have become really close to me because we go in and we work hard every day. And that’s been really positive. But then at the other side of things, you don’t really have coaches to hold you accountable as much anymore. And it is a little bit lonely because you’re working for yourself now. It’s a little bit dog-eat-dog, because everybody’s working to be the best that they can be, and you’re competing for roster spots. And that’s the business of the NFL. And we’d have it no other way because that’s what it takes to compete with the best. And that’s the goal here.

(talked to Terrell or Pitre, any of those guys, about the whole process, got any advice) Yeah, they stopped into town a few weeks ago. Great to see them, great to hear their stories of their first year in the league and the lessons that they’ve learned. Been really positive. And then Clay Johnston has spent some time as well at Baylor. So, really great to hear from those guys. And, obviously, they’re in a much different mode than I am, but they can kind of speak to my situation and some of the challenges involved with going through this process. So, it’s been really great to have some guidance from them, and they’ve been really great friends throughout the process.

CHARLIE BREWER
First, I'd like to just thank Coach Aranda for giving me the opportunity to come back and compete and throw with a lot of my teammates. It was a lot of fun, really enjoyed it.

(trying to show scouts) Well, just now that I'm healthy, I've dealt with some injuries the past two years. I feel better than ever, feel like I have more velocity on the ball than I ever had, throwing it further than I ever have. So, I feel really good right now.

(natural throwing to a guy like Ben Sims) It does. It was awesome to get back and throw to all these guys; miss those guys a lot. So, it was really fun.

(comfort factor being back here) Yeah, I haven’t thrown to them in a couple of years. I think we met up here on Friday, and it was (snaps his fingers) same old, same old. So, it didn’t take too long to get back in rhythm with those guys, for sure. It was a lot of fun.

(did that have an impact on what you wanted to do on Pro Day, throwing with some guys that you at least had a rapport with) Yeah, a lot of familiarity with a lot of the guys here. Not too far, also (from Austin). And also, I really love Baylor. Spent most of my career here. Came in, and we were probably one of the worst teams in the country; and then to be a top-10 team in the country. So, Baylor holds a special part in my heart, and it’s been a while since I’ve been back. So, I’m glad I’m back.

(how long did it take you to come back from your latest injury, to where you were ready to go) Yeah, I probably wasn’t healthy until December. I broke way low on my thumb, so it was a little longer recovery than higher up on the thumb. So, kind of unfortunate, unlucky. But I think it ended up being the best thing for me because I just feel like I’ve come back a lot stronger, better mechanically, just all around better.

(what have you been doing to get yourself ready for today) I’ve been working out with Matt Neel at Xceleration (Sports Performance Labs) in Austin. We’ve just been working out there really in the past 2 ½ months.

(anything specific to prepare for a day like today) Obviously, I wanted to come out and run a 40. And I think the main objective was to come out and show that I can make all the throws, specifically down the field. And I thought I did that today.

(Ben said he noticed you were throwing it with a little more zip on the ball) When I’m rehabbing, I couldn’t throw the ball, so I had to really focus on my feet, my hips, my core, because I couldn’t throw a ball. So, I really had to focus on that for months and months. So, I think that really helped me when I got back to throwing. And when I got back to throwing, I think I was throwing at about seven to eight miles per hour faster.

(what kind of feedback today) I went and talked to some of the coaches after (today’s Pro Day), been talking to a few teams since January. I guess it would be. I went to the Gridiron Showcase, and then just keeping in touch with a few teams here and there. So, we’ll see.

Reactions: MattPackard94
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News