ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor HC Dave Aranda Presser before TCU (TRANSCRIPT)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Dave Aranda met with the media to review Kansas State and to look forward to TCU. No really significant injuries to update other than Taye McWilliams (concussion) continues to remain out.

Opening Statement
So disappointed in the film we watched and the game that we played. There’s so much to learn from, and so much that needs to be improved, so looking forward to doing that. So appreciative of the fans that showed up. I recognized throughout the week the campaign that our athletics program went through to try to get people there. For people to be there when maybe the weather conditions were not ideal, that just means a lot. It’s frustrating and disappointing to not give them a game to be excited about. When I think of all that, I just think of all the great things that are happening here. I know there’s a big game this weekend after our game at the Ferrell Center, there’s just a lot of positive things happening, and to be kind of be carried like that I think is special.

A lot of respect for our opponent. I’ve known Coach Dykes for a long time. I was a grad assistant on a staff with him a long time ago. Just how he treats people and how his mind works with offense is something I admire and respect. His team is playing at a really high level. It’s going to take our best, so we’re excited to get to work for all that.

(What do Max Duggan and Kendre Miller bring to TCU’s offense) I think they’re playing with confidence, they’re playing with belief. I think there’s multiple times that they’re down but they’re never out. They have the ability to quick strike. Their big plays I want to say are tops in the country. That ability to flex like that adds to that confidence for sure. I think their ability to run the ball helps them throw it. They get to really spread sets to where you have to make a choice in how you’re going to play your 11, and if they’re all in there to stop the run then there’s one-on-ones on the outside. And if they’re not all in there, their run game kind of comes alive. The challenges are real and I think each game they’ve risen to the occasion and risen to a new level. So what a great challenge we have.

(Watching bad K-State film) It’s part of it, the idea we can grow from this and we can get better from this. Here’s the good things we did and how we were limited in this particular game, and here’s why we did it, I think is what’s important, and here’s what went into it. So we’ll show an example of a drill, we’ll show an example of a play in practice, and that same play in the game, and here it is. When it’s all lined up like that, here’s what you want. The things that don’t work out well, here’s the drill, here’s the play in a practice, and here it is not being executed in a game. So we get to the why, and that’s when you’re really trying to get better when you can get to that piece of it, so there’s a fair amount of that going on today.

(What areas do you need to improve) Defensively, it’s dealing with adversity. I think that has been a pretty consistent issue throughout the season. I think when we face teams that play with a discipline and an execution that is of a high standard, we fail to keep up with that standard. It compounds because I’m going to press and try to do this. You’re going to make something up and try to do that, and it all trickles down to everything to everybody else. So that happened again on Saturday, and that’s unfortunate because Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Oklahoma, it’s happened multiple times. And I think to get to the bottom of it, we need to build a cohesiveness and a trust that we’re still working really hard to do. I’m not giving up on that. I think offensively, a lot of momentum in that first drive, I felt good about it. I think the turnover stunted that, and I think there’s some negative plays that we took, and we got that into our head. In the past that hasn’t been an issue. We had been able to battle and push through that, and we couldn’t in this game and we just got bogged down with some of the same issues like pressing and I’m going to fix it all myself on this particular play. I think the cohesiveness again, the trust again, and showing that hey this is when we at our best, look how everybody is doing their 1/11th. This is when we are not at our best, and we’ve got nine guys doing this and two guys doing something else. I think that’s going to be our road map here.

(Josh Cameron) I think Josh has got a great heart, I think he’s a hard worker. I think his practice loads throughout the week are sometimes the highest on the team. I think the energy he expels, the effort that he gives are some of the highest on the team. Whether it’s offensively or team-wise, a lot is asked of him. The violent nature that he plays, and the almost reckless abandon that he’s right on the edge of when he’s blocking, and if it’s press coverage, if he’s bodied up by someone, he’ll play with that type of reckless abandon. I that’s all an edge to him and a unique style to him. For that confidence in him to grow and for us to realize that hey this is his game, this is what he does well, let’s find more opportunities for him to do what he does, I think all that is happening, and it’s cool to see.

(Seniors) I just have a lot of respect for our seniors. They’ve seen a lot, they’ve been through a fair amount, and for this to be the last one at home, it’s crazy how fast time goes. I think those are two (Doyle and Ika) particularly good ones to speak of. Apu with the growth he has undertaken, he has been a captain in how many games this year, and just his leadership and ability to speak up and tell the truth when it matters, and kind of really work to be the standard and to embrace it’s bigger than football, that off the field drives the on the field. That growth in him is just way cool to see. It’s taken a little bit of time but it’s good to see it when it’s kind of coming to fruition. When a dude’s doing that, you want to do everything you can to help them finish it off the way that it should.

And then you look at Dillon, just always thinking of others, always trying to help, always giving. So, it's a good group. I think the closer we get to that, the more it'll become real for all of them. It’s a special time for them, for sure.

(Blake had a tough game, does the staff still have full confidence in him) Yeah, full confidence in him. I think there was probably some pressing by him. I think his footwork probably illustrated some of that. I think in the past, where he’d step into throws and be real confident with all of it, I think there was a pressing and a pressure in everything that he was fighting. So, to get back to where there’s a really strong confidence and command in all of it, like he’s done for us a lot this year, I think gives us the best chance to be the best offense we can be. And then for him to be the best that he can be. On the positive side of it, I thought he did really well running the ball when he needed to. I think that’s kind of been a thing this year, whether it’s a slide or whether it’s ball security and all that. I thought he was real decisive in those instances where he had to run the ball and fight for yards and do all that. So, there’s a progression there. It’s good to see him take it on.

(On the offense pressing because of the limited possessions) I think so. I think there was. What did we have, one possession in the first quarter, I want to say. So, I think that was. And then, when a team is executing at a really high level, you feel that. Because you’re right there. You’re going to fire out and do all your stuff, and they’re still right there. And then you’re going to come out even harder the next time and do all this other stuff, and they’re still right there, again. So, I think that’s an area of growth for us, is the ability to stick with it and take those punches, so to speak. And I think it’s one of the things that TCU, by the way, does really, really well. How many games have they been down and kind of come back? Their ability to take a punch, I think, is probably the best thing they do. And that's the thing that we have to most improve on. But I think the first quarter, particularly, added to some of the pressing.

(What’s clicked for TCU to improve so quickly) I think confidence in their big-play ability. I think their offensive structure and the amount of just vertical routes, so receivers getting down the field, going vertical, they’re more vertical routes than really any team that we’ve played. They are trying to take the top off, really, every time they’ve got the ball. And I think that, then, leads to the big plays and the points on the board and all that. We just talked about their ability to take a punch, they fully know that they can knock a guy out at any time with those big plays. So, I think that gives them confidence. And that screams off the tape when you watch them.

(Being motivated by that loss to them late last year in Fort Worth) I would look at it more as, what a great opportunity we have with this particular game and the environment that’s going to be around on Saturday and the platform that we have and this last week was not us. We can be us. There’s always something about a team’s rise, but you learn more about a team with their response. So, I think that’s an opportunity for us that we have to take advantage of.

(What do you see in receiver Quentin Johnston) He’s a great player. I think length, speed, ball skills. He’s someone you have to know where he’s at. If they see single coverage, they’re going to test it. He has the ability to change a game. I think he’s one of the better receivers in our league.

(On younger players getting some momentum from the next couple games going into the rest of their careers) I think it means a lot. There’s been some moments that they’re having to learn and grow and execute under the lights. And sometimes, those moments are too big. So then, to use that as a learning experience and to point out the good in all of it, even in the midst of the negativity of a loss. Or, this play didn’t work, but here’s the thing that you did right. Here’s what we can build on it. I think so much of it is that, they’re feeling the pressure of the bright lights, let’s say. I think there’s going to be some bright lights here at the end of our season. So, for them to kind of grow in that space. Another way to answer that question is that at every level, there’s learning. I’m a young player, and coach has put something on a meeting and now I’m going to a walk-through, and I have to remember what he said. And I have to execute in the walk-through. That’s something. The coaches went over this new play. And there’s a technique that’s involved with it. Now, I’m in individual period, and I have to execute that technique in the walk-through, and I’ve got to do it right now. That’s something. For a play that was just put in, and now I’m going to execute it in a team period versus our No. 2 defense, and they’re coming full speed. That’s something. And then, in a game, when it matters, under the lights, to do something. Obviously, that’s really something. All of those are levels that you have to go through. And we sure would love for them to be like that. And so often, they’re kind of like that. So, to kind of stick with it, to keep learning and keep getting better in the midst of it all, there’s a great opportunity for that.

(Is TCU’s defense similar to what it was under Gary Patterson, or is it different) It’s different. A lot of respect for their staff. At Tulsa, they gave a lot of people problems. There are a lot of people on two feet that are near the football, and they play fast. At Tulsa, they played a lot more zone. They’re playing a lot more man now. There’s changeups with pressures. They are able to hit the line of scrimmages really hard and attack the run, and violent in all of that. I think they’ve given a lot of people trouble in terms of getting their running game going. And I think that’s where it starts is for us to run it on them. And then for us to stop their run. I think they’re one of the better ones in our league. Defensively, they’re fun to watch, because they fly around, they play aggressive.

(On Scott Drew going for his 400th win, what’s your relationship with him and how special is the program that he’s built) It’s very special. I have a lot of respect for him. His energy in everything, at times, just makes me tired. So tired, just seeing all of his energy. I think he’s way special, way unique, and I’m blessed to be at a place that has him and to see him work and everything. I’m happy for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News