ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Oct. 3, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Baylor-Texas…notable numbers

Just a couple of quick notes as Jake will have his preview coming up.

>The Bears are going for four of five against the Longhorns and their second win in the last three tries in Austin. Baylor clinched the 2013 Big 12 championship with a 30-10 win over Texas in Waco last December.

>Baylor's offensive line hasn't allowed a sack this year. It's one of two program which have not allowed a sack.

>Texas has the worst 3rd-down conversion rate of anyone in the Big 12 at 31.1 percent.

>Texas is plus-4 in the turnover ratio and has created 11 takeaways (2 fumbles, 9 interceptions). Baylor is plus-1.

>Despite featuring two of the conference's top running backs in Johnathan Gray and Malcolm Brown, Texas is 9th in the Big 12 in rushing yards per game at 120.5.

>Despite its criticisms about its running game, Baylor leads the conference in rushing yards per game at 239.8.

>Baylor has converted 10-of-11 on 4th down attempts; Texas is 4-of-7.

-SicEmSports.

Monroe update

Galena Park North Shore 2016 safety Eric Monroe (6-0, 180) is one of the jewels of the Rivals 2016 class. He's ranked No. 21 in the Rivals 100 and is the nation's top-rated safety.

Monroe said he has been talking to Baylor recently but isn't one for words. He's said he's still evaluating everything with all of the schools that have offered him. Baylor is one of them. The Bears offered him over the summer.

Oklahoma was one of the most recent to offer him. As you would expect, he has big names on his list including Texas A&M, LSU, Michigan State, Ohio State, Texas and Notre Dame.

The Bears' coaching staff has invited him to the Oct. 11 game against TCU at McLane Stadium.

Monroe returned to the North Shore lineup this year after he dealt with a torn meniscus Monroe has said that he probably will not make any kind of commitment decision until he is into his senior year. And even then he'll want to take some official visits. North Shore is 2-3 and is enjoying its bye this week.

-Kevin Lonnquist

A rising OL

Justin Northwest Darrell Simpson is just one of those big young men who is just beginning to understand how good he can be.

The Texans' 2018 starting right tackle - yes, he's a freshman - is a mountain at 6-6, 280. He's also light on his feet. He's played basketball for a good portion of his young athletic life.

"His feet are excellent and the basketball has something to do with that,'' Northwest coach Bill Poe said. "People are going to find out about him pretty quickly.''

Simpson is also in the early stages of learning how to play on the offensive line. All he's lacking right now is experience. But that will come pretty soon.

"Darrell's just learning to play the position,'' Poe said. "But we have a lot of faith in him. That's why he's with the varsity. He's doing very well. It should be exciting to see recruiters take a look at him after the season.''

Expect Simpson to be invited to a lot of camps in the summer of 2015.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Bears eye Nicholson at CB
Yes, it happened on Sept. 21, but we were finally able to get an interview with South Grand Prairie ATH Tony Nicholson, who committed to the Bears after originally picking Arizona State in April. Naturally, when a player de-commits, there's going to be some skepticism about the strength of his commitment.

If another program were to call and ask him about switching yet again?

"I'd just let them know that I'm done and explain why I de-committed and committed again," he told me. "It really doesn't make a difference to me if someone says I committed twice. I know that Baylor is where I'm going to be the next four years."

Part of the reason he expects this commitment to stick: his mom's now happy, too. And you know the saying about momma being happy.

"She was just blown away when I told her I was reconsidering going to Baylor," he said. "She's just happy to know she can go to every game. When she went down there she actually met every coach, and she was talking to them all day and loved them."

While his coach at South Grand Prairie credited Jeff Lebby for sticking with Nicholson despite his pledge to ASU, Nicholson said DBs coach Carlton Buckels was just as critical.

"It was really coach Buckels," he said. "Lebby was there too, but every other day I'd talk to (Buckels), and he'd ask how I was doing. At first it was annoying, because I was committed, but as time went by, I got to notice his true colors and knew he cared about me. He really thought that I was one of the best DBs in the country. I still talk to him every day. Our relationship is still growing."

That's good, because Baylor wants Nicholson -- a quarterback up until this season -- to play on defense (as well as factor in the return game). Nicholson debuted at cornerback in the third game of his season. It's definitely growing on him.

"It felt good," he said. "I loved it. I think I did good, but I haven't played it but a minute so I know I can learn more things and get better."

-Jake Shaw

Moving parts

It's not that you want to follow Kahlil Haughton's every move because that can be annoying. But given Baylor's heavy interest in the Waco Midway 2015 safety, you have to follow through.

At this time, next weekend's (Oct. 11) scheduled official visit to Arkansas is a little up in the air because of….if you can believe it…TV.

Arkansas' game with Alabama doesn't have a time nor does it have a network assignment. If this game is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. (unlikely) or 2:30 p.m. (stronger possibility), then it's going to be tough for Haughton to try and get there because of his Saturday morning duties with the Midway program. If the game is moved to a night time spot, then he can make it.

Haughton probably won't know anything for sure until early this week. For now, Haughton is looking at taking his official visit to Baylor on Nov. 22 but that could change depending on what happens.

However, it may not be down to just Baylor, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arkansas and Texas Tech. Notre Dame and TCU have been in contact, but it appears the Irish have his interest more than the Horned Frogs. We're hearing the Irish would like for Haughton to visit. But it's still early to know where that is going.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Baylor will follow with Vick

Last week, Baylor assistant Jerome Tang did an in home visit with Memphis Douglass 3-star guard LaGerald Vick.

A source with some familiarity to the situation said that Baylor did not offer Vick but came away very interested. There seems to be the thinking that Baylor head coach Scott Drew could return to Memphis in the next couple of week for his own in home visit. Should that happen, that's the time when Baylor could possibly extend an offer.

However, Baylor is in play for several guards similar in size to Vick (6-5, 175). Rockdale's Wendell Mitchell (6-4, 170) said he has not scheduled his visit to Baylor but said he's close. It won't be next week when the football team returns home to play TCU.

What may be holding some of this up is Dallas Madison guard Admon Gilder. Gilder is on an official visit to Texas this weekend and Texas A&M next weekend. He said he would announce his decision on Oct. 15.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Basketball preseason workouts advance

Quietly, work for the 2014-15 men's basketball season begins on Friday. The Bears are coming off a 26-12 2013-14 campaign that culminated in them playing in the Sweet 16. Remember, the Bears made a huge surge toward the end of the season and played in the Big 12 tournament championship game.

Of course, Baylor lost its two front court factors in Cory Jefferson and Isaiah Austin. But here are several things to look for in camp as the season begins Nov. 14 against McNeese State at the Ferrell Center.

>Who makes up for Jefferson and Austin? There has been a lot of encouraging chatter on the work redshirt freshman forward Johnathan Motley had during the offseason and summer. He could be counted on to provide some scoring punch.

>JUCO transfer forward Deng Deng is expected to add some instant production in the post after signing in the spring.

>Sophomore G/F Ishmail Wainwright must work to become more of an offensive presence for this team.

>Redshirt freshman guard Allerik Freeman didn't play last year because of a hand injury. It should be interesting to see what he does to help senior point guard Kenny Chery.

>Time will tell how or if any of those from the 2014 signing class - Terry Maston, Damiyne Durham and Lester Medford - can contribute.

>Baylor is still trying to learn if guard Kobie Eubanks, who was declared ineligible by the NCAA two weeks ago but is at a school in Florida, will be able to come to Baylor in January for the spring semester.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Rankings

Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where.

1. Baylor - WR Corey Coleman (12-154 at Iowa State) will be huge this year

2. Oklahoma - Sooners have to make plays vs. TCU stingy defense

3. Kansas State - QB Jake Waters is the team's second leading rusher

4. Oklahoma State - Gundy says this team can't have an off night and still win

5. TCU - Horned Frogs have allowed only seven points in the last eight quarters

6. West Virginia - WR Kevin White averaging 10.5 receptions per game

7. Texas - DB Quandre Diggs and the secondary face big test against Baylor

8. Texas Tech - Saturday in Manhattan, KS. could mean the season for the Red Raiders

9. Iowa State - Paul Rhoads dealing with a depleted roster

10. Kansas - Charlie Weis fired in a season that was going to be ugly anyway

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at Saturday's action. All times are central. All 10 teams are in action in the first full weekend of league action.

Iowa State (1-3, 0-2) at No. 21/23 Oklahoma State (3-1, 1-0)

11:00 a.m. Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: The Cowboys are 13-2 in their last 15 games against Big 12 opponents at Boone Pickens. QB Daxx Garman has picked up the offense quickly throwing for more than 900 yards. Iowa State is struggling everywhere. The Cyclones are last in the league in total offense (312.0) and total defense (463.2).

No. 6/7 Baylor (4-0, 1-0) at Texas (2-2, 1-0)

2:30 p.m. Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin (ABC)

The skinny: A great contract of styles where Baylor leads the country in total offense (641.0) and points per game (56.8) and has just about everybody health. PR/WR Levi Norwood has been cleared to play. Texas defense is coming off a 23-0 victory at Kansas and is second in the league in passing defense (140.5). WR Daje Johnson (suspended) has been rumored to return for this game.

No. 3/4 Oklahoma (4-0, 1-0) at No. 25/25 (3-0, 0-0)

2:30 p.m. Amon Carter Stadium, Fort Worth (FOX)

The skinny: TCU's Big 12 opener after blowing out Samford, Minnesota and SMU in its non-conference slate. A real test for QB Trevone Boykin who has adapted well to the express offense throwing for 858 yards and has one interception in his first 123 attempts. The Sooners have created 11 turnovers this year including eight interceptions. Zack Sanchez leads the league with four.

Kansas (2-2, 0-1) at West Virginia (2-2, 0-1)

3:00 p.m. Milan-Puskar Stadium, Morgantown, WVA (FOX Sports Net)

The skinny: A embattled Jayhawk team comes into Morgantown with interim head coach Clint Bowen. QB Montell Cozart has been rattled lately throwing four interceptions against Texas and not having enough receiving options. The Mountaineers should be in position to blow this game out. QB Clint Trickett leads the Big 12 in total offense with 1,580 yards.

Texas Tech (2-2, 0-1) at No. 22/23 Kansas State (3-1, 1-0)

6:00 p.m. Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS (ESPNU)

The skinny: The Wildcats scored 42 unanswered points in last week's much-needed 58-28 win over UTEP. Texas Tech's Jakeen Grant leads the Big 12 in all-purpose yards per game 178.0 but defense is ninth overall in total yards at 456.5. Kansas State remains a disciplined team. The Wildcats have committed only 19 penalties all season.-SicEmSports

Emptying the Notebook

>Longview running back and Baylor commit JaMycal Hasty should be seeing his doctors this month (as early as next week) for more evaluation. There is the hope that he could return but that appears unlikely.

>North Mesquite 2016 offensive lineman Jean Delance has seen his recruiting escalate over the last couple of weeks. The 6-5 270-pound tackle has picked up offers from Texas Tech and TCU. There is no known contact between him and Baylor. But we wanted to make you aware of him.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News