ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: May 8, 2015

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

____________________________________________________________________________________

One day; next day

On Tuesday, Mike Panasuik spent a few minutes talking with Baylor defensive line coach Chris Achuff getting to know the program. On Wednesday, defensive coordinator Phil Bennett sat in the Roselle (IL) Lake Park football coaches offering the rising three-star defensive tackle.

Baylor became the 19th school to offer Panasuik (6-3, 285) as Bennett blazed a trail through Chicagoland. Most of the schools that have offered him have come from within a region. Baylor is the furthest school to make an offer.

“It came out of nowhere,’’ Panasuik said of the offer. “I just thought he was coming up to say hi. But he told me they liked my film and thought I could be a guy that could fit with what they want to do. I’m definitely interested. I’ve seen Baylor grow as a program.’’

Baylor’s focus is at defensive tackle. Some schools have looked at Panasuik as a nose guard. Other programs see him as a true defensive tackles. Baylor compares him to current senior standout Beau Blackshear.

Panasuik finishes school on May 27 and doesn’t dismiss the idea of coming to Texas to visit. He will plan out his itinerary with his coach soon. One of those trips will be to Oregon in mid-July. Panasuik has been invited to The Opening.

“What I really want to find is a school where I feel the most comfortable and how quickly I can get to know the other recruits,’’ he said. “The first thing that’s important to me is getting my degree. My goal is to graduate. If I’m lucky to get in the NFL, great. But I want to keep everything in front of me.’’

Panasuik is entering his third year as a starter. He made the varsity as a sophomore and played strictly defensive tackle. During his junior year, he played everywhere along the defensive line but also played tight end. In 2015, it appears he will play only defensive.

Lake Park went 5-4 and missed the playoffs. However, Panasuik had a productive year with 56 tackles, 14 tackles for loss and five sacks.

“Everything has been surprising,’’ Panasuik said. “My first year to play football was in eighth grade. Football has opened so many doors for me. I’m very thankful that all that has happened.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

A pivotal summer
Newton 2016 LB Tanner Holmes has dominated the competition at the Class 3A level. He has the size (6-4, 223) that most players in his classification do not have.

Baylor has remained in contact with Holmes since January. The Bears haven’t offered Holmes but want to see him in a camp setting.

But that’s true with just about every Division I school that is talking with him. Texas A&M also wants him to camp. Texas Tech may send the same message when a coach visits next week. Currently, Holmes only has one offer from FCS McNeese St.

“I think a lot of teams question my speed,’’ Holmes said. “They’ve seen my film and know I have the size to play. But they want to see how I move. At least, that’s what I think they want to see. I think playing at the Class 3A Division II level penalizes me. But I’m going to show them I can play.’’

Holmes said his best time in the 40 is 4.63. His strength is forming with a max of 320 in the bench and 240 in the power clean.

But Holmes is ready for the challenge in the camp. He hopes to run something close to his posted 40 time. Plus, he’s determined he has the coverage skills to handle going one-on-one with running backs and tight ends.

“I know I will turn heads and have a successful day, I think I can get some guys attention,’’ he said. “It’s a pivotal summer. This summer determines my future. I’ve been working on my start to the 40. I want to show people I can make plays.’’

Holmes does have a Baylor connection. His grandmother Nancy Umphrey went to Baylor. [Note: he wasn’t really sure but we think he’s connected to noted Baylor Walter Umphrey who donated the bridge that crosses the Brazos River and leads to McLane Stadium.]
-Kevin Lonnquist

More on Lyke
Palatine (IL) Fremd 3-star safety Kenney Lyke said he hopes there’s a chance that he can get to Baylor to visit before the end of May.

But Lyke said he’s going to stick with his gameplan of making his commitment decision by the end of May. He spent some time with Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennett on Wednesday.

“Everything went great with coach Bennett,’’ Lyke said. “He just let me know that he really liked my physicality and my style of play. He really thought I could be a starter for him if I worked at it.’’

Lyke has kept his Top 5 of Baylor, TCU, Oregon, Ohio State and Michigan State. We’ll see if he holds to that timeframe of making his commitment decision.
-Kevin Lonnquist

On the list
It’s been about two months since North Mesquite offensive lineman Jean Delance de-committed from Oklahoma re-opened his recruitment.

Baylor continues to be on the list of schools the 2016, ranked No. 131 in the Rivals 250. Delance has started to pick up his interest toward the Bears. He said he has been keeping in contact with his recruiter, linebackers coach Jim Gush.

“Heck yes, I’m interested,’’ Delance said. “[Recent offensive line commit] J.P. Urquidez and I are great friends. I see what they’re doing at Baylor and really like it.’’

Baylor already has two offensive line commits between Urquidez and Silsbee’s Patrick Hudson. Hudson is listed as a guard. However, we’re hearing that he is likely going to be moved to tackle once he arrives at Baylor.

Of course, the coaching staff continues to visit with Trophy Club Byron Nelson’s Kellen Diesch and just offered Colleyville (KS) Community College standout Branton Autry. Don’t be surprised is more offers come out by the end of this month and through the first week of the camp season.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Wilson WR is budding
Baylor linebackers coach Jim Gush recently went to Dallas Woodrow Wilson High School to see 2017 4-star wide receiver Charleston Rambo.

The Rivals 100 talent (Rivals has not ranked this 100 numerically as of yet) is just now starting to explode with exposure. Rambo already has offers from Texas Tech, Kansas, Arizona State, Miami (FL), SMU, North Texas.

It may be just a matter of when and not if for the Bears to extend their own offer. That might take Rambo attending one of the camps Baylor has set for the first week of June.

“Coach Gush just said they really like the way I play receiver and that film was pretty impressive,’’ Rambo said. “I’m interested in going to check out one of their camps.’’

Really, Rambo (6-2, 165) just started to understand his ability in 2014. He helped Woodrow Wilson reach the playoffs but was a playmaker every time he made a catch. Rambo averaged 21.4 yards per reception (722 yards total) and caught a touchdown every third grab. Typically, Wilson opponents played man coverage against him and had a safety over the top.

“I felt like I did a good job running my routes faster and catching the ball with ease,’’ he said. “There’s a lot more I have to do to get better.’’

Rambo works with area trainer Margin Hooks. Expect more offers to follow. On Thursday he visited with coaches from Kansas State and Stanford who gave him the impression they might offer in the summer.

But his athleticism is what is keeping his early ranking so high. He runs a 4.5 40 and it is estimated his vertical is 36 inches.

“The thing we have to do with him is really with his maturity,’’ Hooks said. “His work ethic is getting better. There’s just some small things we have to keep doing so he can be really strong. He’s gotten better on his release [off the line of scrimmage]. But he’s getting better. That’s for sure.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Agim’s Top ?
Hope (AR) and Rivals No. 87 standout defensive lineman McTelvin Agim called his meeting with Baylor defensive line coach Chris Achuff pretty short.

But by now, there’s really not a lot of ground left to cover between Agim and Baylor. The two sides have become pretty familiar with each other since Baylor offered in January 2014. Agim is potentially looking at another return to trip to Baylor since attending the Jan. 31 Junior Day.

It does appear that he will go through the June 6 camp in Marshall. He went through that camp last year. What looked like a formal release of a Top 10 toward the end of May has been pushed back indefinitely. But Agim said it probably will be less than the six he mentioned earlier this year.

To be sure, Baylor should be on that list. The conventional wisdom is that this has become a real two-team race between the Bears and Arkansas.
-Kevin Lonnquist

This and that
>Rivals No. 78 recruit Michael Divinity of Marrero, LA tweeted Thursday he’s going to release his Top 15 schools following his school’s spring game on May 14. Divinity visited Baylor in early April.

>Plano East 2017 linebacker and Rivals 100 standout Anthony Hines called his meeting with the Baylor linebackers coach Jim Gush “great”. Of course, there’s a long way to go with this one. It could take all the way up until National Signing Day 2017 before anyone knows where he is going.

>Fort Bend Travis 2017 offensive lineman Will Farrar has seen Baylor during the current evaluation period. There are plans for him to attend Baylor’s camp on June 1 in Houston if not one of the camps in Waco.

>Frisco Centennial and Baylor defensive back commit Raleigh Texada said PAC 12 schools Washington and California have been working on him really coming after him pretty hard. However, that doesn’t appear to be a threat to Baylor’s chances of holding on to him. Purdue also recently offered.

>Waco defensive back Eric Cuffee said he probably won’t release a Top 10 until later in the summer. He does expect Baylor to return sometime during the evaluation period. For now, his summer plans are to take visits to USC, California, Stanford, Notre Dame, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Michigan. He said there could be more visits planned.

>Houston Wesfield 4-star receiver Tyrie Cleveland said he expects to see Baylor as early as next week. Baylor offered him within the last two weeks. That’s probably the same thing for Humble Kingwood and TCU commit Sewo Olonilua. Baylor has not offered the 4-star athlete.

>Houston MacArthur defensive end Isaiah Chambers has been in touch with Bennett and Achuff during the evaluation period. He said he plans to release a list of finalists by the end of May. It appears that it will not be traditional. Chambers said it would be, “7ish.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook
>While the Under Armour AAU basketball circuit is off this week, the Nike EYBL schedule resumes with a tournament in Houston. Plenty of Baylor targets will be there including 2017 Norman (OK) guard Trae Young and Bentonville (AR) 2016 shooting guard Malik Monk.

>Baylor (19-28, 8-13) baseball is off this weekend. The final four games of the 2015 season (all at Baylor Ballpark) start on Tuesday against UT-San Antonio. But Baylor’s positioning for the Big 12 tournament could improve. Kansas (7-11) visits conference leader TCU (13-5). Oklahoma (11-7) is at Kansas State (7-11). West Virginia (6-12) is at Oklahoma State (14-7). Baylor finishes the regular season next week with a three-game series against Texas.

>Next week, we’ll have a preview of those Baylor commitments/targets who will be participating at the state track and field meet in Austin. Commits Grayland Arnold (DB, Kountze), Kameron Martin (RB, Port Arthur Memorial) and Devin Duvernay (WR, Sachse) are among those who will be in the field.
-SicEmSports

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News