ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: May 1, 2015

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

____________________________________________________________________________________

The Topper
Baylor 2016 QB commit Zach Smith, who visited with new Bears offensive coordinator Kendal Briles last week, has emerged as quite a pitcher. On Thursday, Smith threw a no-hitter and struck out 13 as Grandview won its district championship with a 15-2 victory over Millsap.

Wilson adds Baylor
Houston (Texas) Episcopal 2017 defensive tackle Marvin Wilson is quickly becoming one of the most sought after recruits in the nation this spring. The standout prospect has collected 12 total FBS offers over the past two months and still has two seasons to play high school football.

Baylor is the latest program to offer the standout prospect this week and Wilson shared more from his conversation with the coaches.

“The Baylor coaches came by a couple of times my freshman year, then came by again earlier this season and after the season,” Wilson said. “We really didn’t have much communication outside of that, but the coaches came by again yesterday and talked with my coaches – it was the defensive backs coach [Carlton Buckels] and the offensive line coach [Randy Clements].

“They want to start talking a lot more. They are coming by next week to watch us practice and want me to attend one of their camps later this summer. Baylor is doing very good, but I have a few years left and plan on looking to see how they continue to play.”

The 6-foot-5, 306-pound prospect is quickly adding new offers and several college coaches are stopping by to show interest this spring.

“A lot of coaches have been coming up to the school lately,” Wilson said. “I think most coaches are verifying what some of the other schools or coaches have seen in me. Baylor and Oklahoma State are the latest programs to offer, and there are some coaches that are going to offer later this spring.

“I have been to Texas A&M and Texas for visits this spring. I don’t have anything else setup right now, but would like to take a handful of visits later this summer.”

Rated a four-star prospect, Wilson is a member of the 2017 Rivals Initial Top 100 and received an invite to the Rivals 5-star challenge in Baltimore this June.
-Matt Clare

Lost in translation
When Zach Hall saw Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennett in December, he thought he heard right. Really, he didn’t.

A simple case of miscommunication apparently was the only thing holding up the 4-star Tyler Lee standout from receiving his Baylor offer. Hall is being offered as a cornerback. In fact, that’s how just about every Division I program views him. But Hall doesn’t have a problem with that, although he is Lee’s starting quarterback. In fact, it doesn’t appear he’s going to appear in on defense at all in 2015. Texas Tech is his only other offer.

“Baylor is definitely one of my favorites,’’ Hall said. “I liked talking with coach Bennett in December. He’s real serious but he’ll joke when he wants to. He keeps it real. I don’t have a problem playing cornerback. Anything that’s going to get me on the field is the only thing that matters.’’

There’s no doubt about his athleticism. In 2014, Hall completed 143 of 247 passes for 2001 yards and 16 touchdowns while running for 1,487 yards and 22 touchdowns on 183 attempts.

Hall said he plans on attending Baylor’s camps in Waco (either May 31 or June 7) and in Marshall on June 6. Should he come to Baylor, he plans to spend more time there. He was last there in November when Lee played Waco Midway in the Class 6A Division I playoffs at McLane Stadium. But that’s a pretty good way to start.

“I think the thing that makes schools attracted to me is my feet,’’ he said. “I’m blessed. When you get an offer, you’re getting offered from a Top 5 school, a school that could have played in the national playoffs.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Bolden is golden

DeSoto 2016 center Marques Bolden is the nation’s No. 29 player in Rivals class. And there’s a pretty good reason. He’s about as solid a big man Division I programs will find in this class.

Playing for Pro Skills in the Nike EYBL, Bolden (6-11, 215) has continued to grow in his game. He averaged 11.5 points for the Eagles as they went 29-5 and advanced to the Class 6A playoffs. Through the first two EYBL events in Hampton, VA and Lexington, KY, Bolden is averaging 13.5 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Pro Skills is also 7-1.

“We have a pretty successful group of guys,’’ Bolden said. “We can score and defense pretty well. It’s always good to win but to keep growing from it.’’

Baylor is one of 14 programs to offer him along with UCLA, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M and SMU. The blue bloods in North Carolina, Duke and Kentucky are keeping up the discussions as has Georgetown and UConn. But trying to figure out a Top 5 or Top 10 is not on the agenda. Playing and getting better is.

Bolden is used to the increased and intense attention. But he said he’s learned to compartmentalize everything so nothing becomes a distraction.

“I just want to keep doing a good job defending the post,’’ Bolden said. “I feel pretty comfortable standing in front of guards. But I also want to stretch the floor by being able to drive more and shooting the jumper. People can’t stop everything.

Baylor already has a DeSoto connection on its roster in forward T.J. Maston. That won’t make a big difference in terms of Bolden deciding on Baylor. But he’s getting to know everything he can about the Bears.

Most of the communication from Baylor has been with assistant Paul Mills who has been dealing with Bolden’s parents.

“The staff has been great because they made a connection with parents,’’ Bolden said. “That’s important because those two are going to help me in making a decision. I’m really open to any school. I’m not stuck on any one school.

“I feel like Baylor is a good school and it’s going to be a possibility. But it’s going to be me seeing everything to be comfortable and fit into the system. I just want to continue to lead and increase my communication and be an anchor on the court.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Lyke has Baylor in Top 5
A coaching connection from Waco, Texas to a suburb of Chicago, Illinois helped land the Baylor Bears in the Top 5 for standout safety Kenney Lyke, out of Palatine (Illinois) Fremd.

“Baylor was always in my Top 5 from the moment they offered,” Lyke said. “My high school coach is close friends with Coach (Phil) Bennett at Baylor. We run the same defense and it fits what I do, it could be a nice fit.

“I just need to bring a few guys with me from up here. I have a friend, Josh King, that plays defensive end and I have talked with him about Baylor a little bit.”

Lyke does have a connection with the Baylor defensive coordinator, but he usually connects with the Bears’ safeties coach (Cris) Dishman.

“I talk with coach Dishman about Baylor a lot,” Lyke said. “He thinks I would be a good fit for the high safety position or the ‘Bear’ position – it’s an outside linebacker that gets up into the box and makes plays. Coach has told me plenty about the school and the city of Waco.

My parents and I have also discussed Baylor as an option. The main thing is getting out there to see the campus myself. I’m still working on the plans but I should visit sometime in June.”

The standout prospect went on to share his thoughts on the Baylor program.

“I think them getting to where they are right now and still moving forward is impressive,” Lyke said. “It would be different than up here in Illinois, a lot warmer. The Baylor coaches are great and have all been there for a while with no plans on going anywhere. It’s a good option to have.”

Earier this week, Lyke released his Top 5, including Baylor, TCU, Ohio State, Michigan State and Oregon.

“I wanted to create a Top 5 to really narrow down my focus on these programs,” Lyke said. “My goal is to research each program and make my commitment around June. I have already taken visits to Ohio State and Michigan State, and plan on taking visits to TCU and Baylor in June. I’m not sure on the exact date, but I will also visit Oregon.”

Rated a three-star prospect, Lyke holds nearly 20 FBS offers. He finished with 87 tackles and three interceptions this past season, earning All-Area honors.
-Matt Clare

A first time for everything
Branton Autry
had been minding his own business on Tuesday when his Coffeyville (KS) Community College coach Aaron Flores told him Baylor had something to tell him – he had an offer. Offensive line coach Randy Clements spent time in the Sun Flower State.

This offer is potentially for tackle for the December 2015 graduate. Autry (6-4, 320) played tackle in high school in Mobile, AL but moved to guard in 2014 for Coffeyville. He returns to playing tackle this fall.

“I had not been talking to Baylor at all,’’ Autry said. “I was surprised they offered. But they told me they need me right away. It was pretty impressive to talk to them because of what they have accomplished.

Autry is in high demand as several SEC schools have offered including Arkansas, South Carolina and Missouri. Oklahoma has offered as well. Once final exams have finished in the next week, Autry said he plans on taking official visits.

Baylor could be one of those. Autry said he has an uncle who lives in Arlington who told him he wants him to play in Texas. Outside of the brief meeting, there’s not a lot Autry knows about the program. So that will require some more studying.

“I know they’ve been successful, but I’m really just starting to get to know them,’’ he said. “I want to start taking some visits this summer.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

In Central Texas
Baylor wide receivers coach Tate Wallis has been canvasing Central Texas. Recently, he stopped by to see…
>Round Rock Cedar Ridge to evaluate 2016 DB Ian Peterson (5-11, 180) who has offers from Kansas, Houston, Toledo and Texas State.

>Round Rock to evaluate 2017 DE James Lynch (6-3, 260). Lynch does not have any offers yet.

>Round Rock Stony Point to evaluate 2017 LB Dante Smith (5-11, 198). He also doesn’t have any offers yet.
All three of those players are expected to camp at Baylor either May 31 or June 7 in Waco on the Baylor campus.
-Kevin Lonnquist

From Indy to offer
Baylor assistant coach Jerome Tang apparently saw what he needed to see this past weekend at the Adidas event in Indianapolis. While Baylor had tracked 2016 Rivals No. 32 player Mario Kegler for some time, the versatile forward made his case.

Earlier in the week, Baylor offered. Kegler (6-8, 215) could play all five positions on the floor if need be, his AAU (MBA Hoops) coach Omhar Carter said. That kind of flexibility summons matchup advantages.

“Mario has a lot of respect for Baylor and their basketball program,’’ Carter said. “Baylor is an intriguing situation. It’s a different because they play that zone [1-3-1]. They work really well with big players. Because Mario can play multiple positions, he can go anywhere depending on the matchup. He can move on anyone.’’

At Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville, Kegler averaged 28.5 points per game and can score on anyone. He drilled Huntington Prep for 31 and Dallas Prime Prep for 30 during the 2014-15 season.

But what makes him a major pursuit is because of his defense. He owns a 6-11 wingspan.

“He’s already a college defender,’’ Carter said. “Mario’s blessed with body control, great foot speed and can shift to be physical. He doesn’t give much ground.’’

Following the Adidas event in Memorial Day in late May, Kegler should have time to take some visits in the summer. Carter said Baylor has a strong chance to be one of those.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Nembhard making the climb

Keller 2017 guard R.J. Nembhard came of age last fall in the Pangos tournament in Las Vegas. Against some of the known names, the son of former professional standout Ruben Nembhard held his own.

“I don’t question myself and my ability,’’ he said. “When you’re in a circle where everybody is faster and stronger, I was just going to let my game show itself. I just built a lot of confidence on my offensive game and my intensity on defense.’’

Baylor has known about and followed Nembhard (6-4, 180) for more than a year. He took an official visit to Baylor last summer. The staff is now tracking him in the Nike EYBL. Team Texas has played in tournament in Hampton, VA and Lexington, KY.

It may be only a matter of time before the Bears offer him. So far, he Nembhard has other Big 12 offers from Texas, Kansas State, Kansas, Creighton and TCU. SMU and UCLA also appear to be jumping into this recruitment.

Nembhard parlayed what he did in Las Vegas into the 2014-15 season. He led Keller to a xx-xx, second consecutive appearance in regional quarterfinals and a landmark upset of DeSoto.

He’s a guard who prides himself on his mid-range jumper and continues to work on his strength so he can drive to the basket. Nembhard also admits he needs more consistency on his 3-point shot.

“I’m continuing to get to know Baylor,’’ he said. “The visit last year was great. I like the campus. But I want just to keep working and just make people notice how hard I play.’’
-Kevin Lonnquist

Baseball: at Kansas
If the Big 12 tournament started today, Baylor would not be in it. The Bears (17-27, 6-12) are in last place in the Big 12 and travel to Lawrence, KS to play at Kansas (19-26, 6-9) this weekend and likely need to take two in order to feel better about their situation. The Big 12 tournament takes eight teams. Baylor leads the all-time series with the Jayhawks, 46-16.
Pitching matchups:
>Game 1, Friday, 6:00 p.m.
– Baylor RHP Drew Tolson (3-6, 3.62 ERA) vs. Kansas LHP Ben Krauth (6-3, 3.73)
>Game 2, Saturday, 2:00 p.m. – Baylor RHP Nick Lewis (1-2, 6.00 ERA) vs. Kansas RHP Drew Morovick (4-3, 4.77)
>Game 3, Sunday, 1:00 p.m. – Baylor LHP Daniel Castano (2-5, 3.25) vs. Kansas TBA
-SicEmSports

Emptying the Notebook
>Allen 2016 DE Levi Onwuzurike said he plans to name a Top 10 before the end of summer.
>Sachse 2016 DB Jared Mayden said he will “probably release’’ his new Top 10 on his 17th birthday, June 24.
>Waco 2016 DB Eric Cuffee said he has no plans at this time to release a Top 10.
>Regional track meets are this weekend involving several Baylor targets including 2016 RB commit Kameron Martin and 2017 Langham Creek RB (and Baylor offer) Toneil Carter and 2017 Houston Stafford WR (Baylor offer) Hezekiah Jones.
>Full-time football players and part-time track stars K.D. Cannon and Chris Platt will be with track team on Saturday in Austin at the Longhorn Invitational.
-SicEmSports

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News