ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: June 20, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
NOTE: Your publisher is falling off the grid for the weekend and will be back Monday. With AAU basketball tournaments for Mulkey 2019 hopeful, we have to work in little getaways here and there. This is a here. There may be another time or two that I do this during the summer but wanted you to know.

Also, we will not have a Blitz for the June 27 edition. We're going to have an ask SicEmSports segment. We did this before in February. So start thinking about those questions.

Haughton nearly finished

Say what you want about Waco Midway safety Kahlil Haughton, but you have to like his approach to his recruiting.

He set out on a plan to visit his apparent four finalists - Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Arkansas and Baylor - before he decides and is following through on it. If anything, that should tell you how driven and goal oriented he is.

Haughton visited Baylor Thursday morning and spent about two hours with assistant head coach Brian Norwood. Of course, this was the latest of at least six known visits (not including 2013 football games) where Haughton was on campus. He went to the June 1 and 8 camps, March 22 scrimmage and April 5 controlled scrimmage. Haughton also attended the Jan. 26 junior day. Baylor has made it clear to Haughton that he's one of the priorities for the 2015 class.

"I just chilled with coach Norwood and watched film,'' Haughton said. "He showed me what my role would be in the defense.''

Haughton is taking an all-day trip to Fayetteville, AR on Friday to visit the University of Arkansas. He visited Texas Tech last week and Oklahoma on June 7. Haughton does not have a date of when he will announce but said he hopes to have a decision in early July.

Baylor seems to be the team to beat in this race. However, Oklahoma is thought to be the strongest competitor.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Williams has upside

Plano Prestonwood 2016 LB Deonte Williams recent Baylor offer culminated a two-year analysis. Williams performed well enough in front of the Baylor coaches at the June 6 Lake Highlands camp that a few days later, Baylor extended.

Of course, you wouldn't know if you talked to him about it. He was nonchalant about both the camp performance and the offer, Prestonwood coach Chris Cunningham said.

Williams (6-2, 215), the son of former Florida State safety Alphonso Williams, has been a two-year starter for the Lions and become a playmaker ever since. In Prestonwood's 3-4 alignment, he mainly plays outside linebacker. But he's asked to cover a lot of ground in run support, pass coverage and applying pressure on the quarterback.

"[Gush] has been coming to our practices for a long time, and he spotted him right away his freshman year,'' Cunningham said. "When he did, he told me he was going to keep an eye on him. The offer really shows that they think of him the way we think of him.''

Cunningham describes Williams as a physical player who is very quick off the edge. He consistently runs his 40 in the 4.6 range. By the time he leaves high school, he could weigh 230.

Williams' offer parade is only starting. He also picked up one from TCU and has been gaining interest from Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.

Athleticism just pours out of him. He has been playing some receiver and running back for Prestonwood for the 7-on-7 season and probably could be a true two-way player if Cunningham really wanted that.

"If we ran an I-formation, he'd be my ball carrier,'' Cunningham said.

Since Baylor runs a 4-2-5, Williams frame could take him anywhere. Of course, he has to commit to Baylor first. There is talk of him coming to Baylor for the July 18 camp on campus.

"Deonte is a guy who has the size to hold up but can run as well,'' Cunningham said. "And Deonte can run.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

A 2017 RB to watch

Abilene 2017 running back Abram Smith isn't small. He came to the June 8 came in Waco and stood out.

"He really did well and the Baylor coaches were very impressed with him,'' Abilene coach Steve Warren said. "He made a good showing.''

While there are 2017 offers being extended, Baylor appears to not be in a rush here. For one, Smith just made his mark for the Eagles toward the end of the 2013 season. It was quite the debut.

He scored seven touchdowns in the final two games. That could spoil a coach.

"I'm going to give him the chance to do that,'' Warren said with a laugh. "He's got very quick feet but will run right over you too. That's a good combination.''

Smith's game is just evolving. But he's showing that he may be a receiving threat. Of his touchdowns, two were receiving.

Expect some visits out to West Texas during the upcoming football season.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Carroll DB eyes Baylor offer

He's getting to know Baylor probably as well as any 2016 recruit is. Now, all Southlake Carroll safety Obi Eboh (6-1, 175) would like is an offer from the Bears.

Eboh attended the March 22 junior day and went to the June 6 camp at Lake Highlands and struck a bond with defensive backs coach Carlton Buckels.

"We did a lot of press coverage, and he worked with my feet,'' Eboh said. "That's what I really took away from it was how he worked with me to keep my feet square. That made a difference in the one on one drills.''

Eboh started for Carroll as a sophomore and had his share of good and bad moments. Most young defensive backs go through a feast or famine period. But Eboh will now be counted on to be one of the leaders of the Carroll defense this fall.

Rice became the first school to offer him earlier this week. The Big 12 schools are lurking. Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU and Oklahoma State are the ones showing early interest. Texas and Oklahoma are just now finding out about him.

Eboh is now fitting the trend of defensive backs who have length to go along with their pass coverage skills. If Baylor is ever going to offer, the first opportunity might be at its final camp on July 18 in Waco. Eboh plans to attend it.

"It would mean a lot to get an offer from Baylor,'' Eboh said. "When you get to know them, they're like family. I'm pretty comfortable around them.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Offer surprises Florida CB
He didn't know a whole lot about Baylor. He didn't even know he was on their radar. So it really stunned Aaron Covington when the Baylor staff told his coaches at Seffner (Fla.) Armwood that Baylor had extended an offer.

"That had me really excited," Covington told me this week. "That's my top school right now out of all the schools I got. I was hyped up about that one. I had no clue at all they were going to offer. I've been balling lately, and my coaches have been getting my name out there on the map. I guess Baylor noticed."

A few Florida schools have offered the 5-9, 177-pound cornerback so far. Baylor joins Temple and Cincinnati as out-of-state programs to offer. That Covington plans to attend a camp at Oregon State this summer shows he's fine leaving his area to play college football.

"My family said 100 percent whatever my heart is, that's where I should go," he said. "They want me to make the best decision for myself."

Covington said he "definitely" plans to visit Baylor but doesn't have a date yet. I'll be in touch in case one materializes.
-Jake Shaw

Emptying the Notebook

>It's really hard to say what's going on with Cy Falls DB John Humphrey right now. After some more investigating, it's really unclear if his "Big Announcement" tweet was referring to his decision or someone else's. As he shared with our Jake Shaw earlier this week, he said he will continue to talk things over with his family to see what he wants to do ? stay with Baylor or consider a switch to Oklahoma. Then, there's a part of me who is starting to think, "Is this much ado about nothing?"

>At this point, it does look like Baylor is out of it for Ennis DE James Lockhart. He recently told our Alabama colleagues that it's "neck and neck" between Alabama and Texas A&M. Having said that, he does have a history of lining his comments toward whichever site he is talking with.

>And then there was this tweet from Mesquite Poteet LB Malik Jefferson: "Ima be honest I don't care what conference I play, that doesn't affect my decision, I want the right fit to make me a man and baller." He could be a lean toward Texas A&M but he has said he wants to visit Waco.

>Baylor junior center fielder Logan Brown was named to the 2014 Rawlings/ABCA Division I Gold Glove team, the American Baseball Coaches Association Announced earlier this week. Brown is the first player in program history to win such an award. Catcher Kelly Shoppach (1999-2001) earned a similar honor when he was named Easton Defensive Player of the Year in 2001.

>We talked to three independent basketball recruiting analysts who maintained Baylor is the favorite to land both Plano West center Tyler Davis and forward D.J. Hogg. Remember those two played pickup with the team earlier this week. That activity is allowable.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News