ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz; Aug. 22, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
NOTE: Like there was last Saturday, there really seems to be a small to possibly no recruit gathering for Baylor's closed scrimmage at 6:30 p.m. Friday at McLane Stadium.

The only one who we have spoken with who may be heading over there is Waco Midway 2015 safety Kahlil Haughton. Maybe his teammate and Baylor WR commit Devontre Stricklin will join him.

Given that there are so many scrimmages on Friday across Texas that eliminates just about any recruit who has been offered by or has an interest in Baylor of trying to attend. Of course, the season opener is Aug. 31 against SMU so there should be a large group.

Zach Smith: Scouting report

Thursday night, I got my first real good look at Grandview (Texas) 2016 Rivals250 quarterback and Baylor commitment Zach Smith. It was a scrimmage so let's not get too over the top here. But he looked pretty solid.

The first thing that catches the eye is his size. He's a legit 6-4 and right now he checks in at about 210 pounds. He has a really nice frame to add onto and word is he still has a couple of more inches to grow. He passes the eyeball test.

Watching him warm up you can see he has some pretty nice arm strength. In fact the talk on the sidelines was about his 70-yard pass he threw during the first week of practice. He can put it out there. He was light on his feet. He kept the ball high. He has a pretty quick release. He can put some real zip on the ball or he can throw with touch.

Now once it came to live action there was some good and some bad. He took a sack early (they blew the play dead). He stared down a few receivers. He had a few wobblers out there as he put the ball down the field. He needs to get more consistent with his deep ball. On the positive side he did fit the ball into a real tight window over the middle early in scrimmage play. Most of the time, he was decisive and made good decisions. He showed the ability to get some good air under his deep ball and get it down the field allowing his receivers to run under it in stride.

Of the quarterbacks Baylor has recruited under Art Briles he compares most to Bryce Petty. I would say he's a more advanced thrower than Petty was at this point in high school. He's not as stout as Petty, but he is taller. Neither are what I would call big playmakers with their feet but they are both capable of making plays with their feet (if that makes any sense.) I guess what I'm trying to say is you're not going to be mistaking him for Robert Griffin III or Braxton Miller or someone like that.

There is a lot to like in Smith. I would've liked to see him display more of his arm strength and place the ball a little bit better, but there are a lot of positives and Grandview's offense is very similar to what Baylor does. It was also pretty cool to hear the Zach Smith stories on the sidelines. It seemed like every observer had a good one whether it was football or his leadership or in baseball where he was a pitcher and a shortstop. Enough of that though, back to the topic.

On the night I had him completing 12 of his 21 passes for 293 yards and 3 touchdowns and he had several incompletions hit his receivers in the hands. He threw deep, he threw screens, he went over the middle and he ran some zone read. There was some good stuff there.

The JV and Varsity for Venus and Grandview alternated during the first part of the scrimmage. The JV went against the JV and then each varsity squad got reps against the other varsity squad. I had Smith at 5 for 8 and 120 yards and a TD at the end of that period. Then the varsity squads played two quarters. It started off kind of rough with a 3-and-out on Grandview's first series. They did pick it up and get going though.

Overall it was a great way to kick off the football season, and see a promising young quarterback. On Friday, I should get to see another promising young 2016 QB in Shane Buechele so it will be nice to see them on consecutive nights.

-Jason Howell

Tiny but mighty

You may look at Jay'Onn Myles and believe he is too small to play Division I football. He looks at it as an opportunity.

The Piece C.C. defensive back (5-8, 173) has a verbal offer from Baylor and hopes that should defensive coordinator Phil Bennett visit the weekend of Sept. 20 (Baylor's bye week), that offer will be solidified.

As a speedster in the 4.45 range, Myles met Bennett back in the spring and came away with a great impression of him and of Baylor. He immediately went back to his dorm room and researched Baylor and Bennett.

"It was crazy to even know that Baylor was out here,'' Myles said. "They have so many schools and players out in Texas, I just didn't think they would come out there. But when I walked into my coaches office, I saw this coach [Bennett] wearing a Baylor green shirt. We had a great conversation.''

Myles said he and Bennett hit it off because they spoke of their sense of loss. Bennett lost his wife Nancy to a tragic lightning strike accident back in 1999 when he was at Kansas State. Myles recently lost his grandfather.

Despite his size, Myles is a playmaker. In 2013, he collected 26 tackles, four interceptions and four pass breakups. And he was always giving up size to his opposition.

"I don't look at 5-8 as a factor,'' Myles said. "It doesn't affect my confidence. If I'm going against a guy that's 6-3, I know he's going to make his catches, but I'm going to make my plays too. I'm a competitor. I may be what I am, but I feel like I play like 5-11 or 6-1.''

Myles could be viewed as a dangerous return man. But Baylor could also be looking at him as a nickel back candidate. Pierce plays a formation similar to Baylor's 4-2-5. Myles said he rotated between cornerback and nickel back last year and expects to do it again this year.

Myles is December graduate and would be able to join his program of choice in January.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Scrimmage report: Blake Lynch

The Gilmer athlete said he played mostly on defense in Thursday's scrimmage against Kilgore. Lynch said Gilmer won the scrimmage.

Lynch said he felt pretty comfortable in the secondary. He collected two pass breakups and didn't allow a receiver to collect a reception on him.

He also said that he believes he will probably start both ways at wide receiver and safety when the season begins. Gilmer opens the 2014 campaign next against Texarkana Libery-Eylau at 7:30 p.m. next Thursday in Gilmer.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Gilder talks Top 6

Dallas Madison guard Admon Gilder, the No. 62 recruit in the 2015 Rivals 150, named a top six Thursday of Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas, SMU, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M.

For him, all six had two common denominators.

"Every coach that I've talked with will help me in my development,'' Gilder said. "I think any system I go in, it's going to fit me and I can make an impact.''

Gilder said he texted with Baylor assistant Jerome Tang on Wednesday to talk about official visit dates. Nothing is set, but Gilder said he is looking at the weekend of Sept. 19.

Although that would be Baylor's bye week, he's not going there to watch a football game. He's going there to learn if Baylor would surge to the lead. Gilder said he wants to sign in November before the 2014-15 high school season.

Through his dealings with Baylor, Gilder said he has appreciated the honesty with which the coaches have handled the recruitment. There have been multiple conversations between him and Tang throughout the spring and summer contact periods. Gilder did not get to Waco for an unofficial visit.

"Coach [Scott] Drew is very knowledgeable, and they always keep it real,'' Gilder said. "They let me know who they are recruiting and what they need to recruit me harder or anything else. What I like about Baylor is that they have great shooters who have come through their program.''

This has been a pretty tumultuous time for Madison's program. Because of a recruiting scandal in the spring that resulted in the death of a player, head coach Roderick Johnson was fired. Earlier this week, the also UIL stripped the Trojans of their consecutive 2012 and 2013 Class 3A state titles.

"I've accepted it because there's nothing I can do about it,'' Gilder said. "I'm looking at other [transfer] options. But for now it's looking like I'll be staying at Madison.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12: The 2014 season tour

Since there are lists out there by anyone who has an opinion of the Big 12 and wants to share a list of the most significant Big 12 games, this figures to be the time to do it for SicEmSports to do it.

We present these in the matter of date:

1. Oklahoma St. vs. Florida St., Aug. 30, AT&T Stadium, Arlington: The Cowboys are going to be heavy underdogs in this game. But this is also the time for them to show the reigning national champions that they can stay with them. Cowboys quarterback J.W. Walsh will face a defense filled with NFL prospects.

2. Arkansas vs. Texas Tech, Sept. 13, AT&T Jones Stadium, Lubbock: While the Razorbacks are still rebuilding under Bret Bielema, this is still going to be a name opponent that the Red Raiders must beat for the good of the conference. And to be sure, this will be the first test for quarterback Davis Webb.

3. UCLA vs. Texas, Sept. 13, AT&T Stadium, Arlington: New Texas coach Charlie Strong will have a major challenge against the Bruins who many believe can be in the conversation for the Final Four playoffs. UCLA is led by talented quarterback Brett Hundley. Texas is trying to find out how good it really is.

4. Auburn at Kansas State, Sept. 18, Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS: Another great non-conference test for the Big 12. The national finalists should have QB Nick Marshall back. But if the Big 12 wants to send a message to the SEC and playoff selection committee about its worthiness of putting a team in the Final Four, winning this game matters.

5. Texas Tech at Oklahoma State, Sept. 25, Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK: These games between the Red Raiders and Cowboys are always interesting. The winner of this one presents itself as someone who could be in the Big 12 championship conversation.

6. Baylor at Texas, Oct. 4, Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium, Austin: This is a game that Texas fans have been pointing to since last December since Baylor won the 2013 Big 12 championship against the Longhorns. Baylor has won three of the last four and can't afford an upset.

7. TCU at Baylor, Oct. 11, McLane Stadium, Waco: One of college football's oldest rivalries resumes for the 110th meeting. This is Baylor's Big 12 McLane Stadium home opener. The Horned Frogs are consistently a stout defensive team.

8. Texas vs. Oklahoma, Oct. 11, Cotton Bowl, Dallas: The Red River Showdown always draws national attention. Texas won this game in Mack Brown's final appearance. The Sooners should be the better team based on a defense that is led by linebacker Eric Striker.

9. Kansas State at Oklahoma, Oct. 18, Memorial Stadium, Norman, OK: The teacher-student revival between Bill Snyder and Bob Stoops returns. By this time we should know if Oklahoma QB Trevor Knight is just as good as advertised from last year's performance against Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

10. Texas at Texas Tech, Nov. 1, AT&T Jones Stadium, Lubbock: The South Plains always presents a case of the bizarre for the Longhorns when they visit. They won in Lubbock two years ago. Tech must answer if it has the running game to help the passing game.

11. Baylor at Oklahoma, Nov. 8, Memorial Stadium, Norman, OK: Is this the unofficial Big 12 championship game? Based on the preseason polls, it would suggest that it is. The location of this game is likely the reason why more media favored Oklahoma to win the Big 12 over the Bears. Now, we'll find out. Baylor has never won in Norman.

12. Oklahoma State at Baylor, Nov. 22, McLane Stadium, Waco: In 2012, Baylor finally snapped a 6-game losing streak to the Cowboys. The 2013 meeting was a mess for the Bears in Stillwater. But if Baylor is in the national championship picture by now, it's a must win.

13. TCU at Texas, Nov. 27, Darrell K. Royal Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin: This is the season finale for the Longhorns on Thanksgiving. Either Texas fans will be celebrating a solid first year under Charlie Strong or they will wonder. The same could be said for TCU and its future.

14. Oklahoma State at Oklahoma, Dec. 6, Memorial Stadium, Norman, OK: Bedlam has had its share of great finishes including last year when the Sooners scored in the final seconds to pull it out in Stillwater. Maybe the Cowboys have something up their sleeve to return the favor.

15. Kansas State at Baylor, Dec. 6, McLane Stadium, Waco: If this is for the Big 12 championship, then this should be a dandy because the Bears have played up to expectations and the Wildcats have fulfilled the thoughts as being the darkhorse. This has the look of a great final weekend in the Big 12.

-SicEmSports

Emptying the notebook

>Still no work on 2014 offensive line signee Devonte Jones' status. Baylor's fall semester begins Monday. So this is a day-by-day process. It wouldn't be the first time Baylor has had a player join the program after the school year has starter. Even had Jones arrived in the summer, he still would have been likely redshirted.

>This may or may not be anything but when touching base with Port Arthur Memorial RB Corey Dauphine about whether he was invited to Baylor's 2014 opener, he said no. Dauphine said last month he was "100 percent" committed to Texas Tech but we also heard rumblings that Baylor was still going to push. That may or may not still be the case. We do believe that Texas A&M's interest in Dauphine could be more of a second option role.

>It was going to be a Texas Titans reunion next weekend in Waco. In addition to forward D.J. Hogg, point guard King McClure, who committed to Baylor in April, is joining his teammates for his official visit as well. Tyler Davis was scheduled to join them but don't look for that now since he verbally committed to Texas A&M on Friday.

>Nothing really changed for the rest of Baylor's 2015 recruits as far as their ratings were concerned. Austin St. Michael's DB Jameson Houston remained at a 2-star recruit with a 5.4 rating. The same was for Austin Westlake linebacker Breckyn Hager. Each has a chance to improve his rating should he perform at a higher level this season. The final round of ratings should come out in December. The rest of the recruits remained at 3 stars.

>Baylor continues to stay in touch with Southlake Carroll 2016 DB Obi Eboh. It's more along the lines of a temperature check. That's still a case where Baylor will want to evaluate 2016 game film to get a better evaluation.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News