ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Aug. 16, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

Previewing the upcoming Rivals ratings

The newest Rivals 100 will be released at 11:00 a.m. Monday. That impacts Mount Pleasant WR KD Cannon, who is currently No. 53 and a 4-star. Without being privy to the rankings meetings earlier this week, I have to believe Cannon will move up. How high? No idea. I have to think he can get into the 30s, which would be unprecedented as far as Baylor is concerned. Leaping from 53 to a 5-star is going to be tough.

The Rivals 250 will be released at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday. That impacts the other three four stars, Texarkana Liberty Eylau's TK Rockwell (No. 227).

I don't think Hall will move much - maybe plus or minus five spots. He dropped seven places in the previous rankings period that came out in the spring. Rockwell is borderline but should be OK. Although it would look solid with David to stay because of his current ranking, I think his status go either way about staying on the list given what we've reported about the knee injury and how a lot of schools weren't jumping after him because of the academic situation. Again, I'm keeping him a soft commit for Baylor because I think he's going to have a hard time getting in.

The rest of the rankings will come out later in the week. As I said, the rest of the ratings will come out later in the week. My players to watch will be Princeton athlete Jourdan Blake Waxahachie offensive lineman Patrick Lawrence and Houston Lamar defensive lineman Ira Lewis.

These meetings are like the Cardinals meeting in the Vatican and being locked in a room until the white smoke billows out of the smoke stack to signal a new pope has been chosen. Ok, that's an exaggeration but you get the idea.

-Kevin Lonnquist

VIDEO time

NOTE: With Baylor going through a different practice session on Friday, we thought we would present our videos on Friday. As we mentioned, our Stephen Cook will be at the stadium tour on Friday and provide a video report as soon as he can compile everything.

Art Briles

He spoke about the offensive line and wide receivers and doing something different with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcFT_mf6EoA&feature=youtu.be>Antwan Godley and other Baylor items[/URL]

Offensive line

Our Stephen Cook caught up with Baylor offensive linemen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfqxpuOkwY8&feature=youtu.be>Stefan Huber, Desmine Hilliard and Kelvin Palmer[/URL] about their expectations for the season.

DT Terrell Brooks

We also were in the middle of it when Navarro College defensive tackle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkLYY0HWaJQ&feature=youtu.be>Terrell Brooks[/URL] met with the media.

-Stephen Cook

Bringing clarity to Williams

No longer can recruits commit to one school and then visit another for reasons only known to them before the internet gallery erupts with innuendo and sometimes, sloppy reporting.

Unfortunately, the sites that try to do it the right way ? we keep striving to do that ? are pulled into the fray.

When Ennis RB and Baylor commit Terence Williams visited Texas Tech last weekend with Jah'Shawn Johnson, reports suggested that he was not only visiting but may be interesting in changing his commitment.

What wasn't known was that Williams went there with Baylor head coach Art Briles and Williams' recruiting coach Jeff Lebby giving their blessing.

"It was overblown,'' Ennis recruiting coordinator Brandon Layne said. "I know some sites out there want to give people something to read. We understand that. But Terence went out there to visit one of his friends (Malik Jenkins). He's one of his best friends. All they told him was that if the wanted to see someone, let us know.''

While the Tech coaches let him know they were very interested, Williams said they respected the fact he was committed to Baylor. Williams sent out a tweet Monday evening reinforcing the point.

But because of the widespread rumors, Layne said they had to check.

"People like you were contacting us, so we just had to make sure,'' Layne said. "I called him on Sunday and asked him if everything was ok, and he said it was. Then we started football on Monday, I checked again, and he said everything was good Baylor. Everybody needs to understand that he's a kid.''

The Ennis philosophy is that the staff will do everything it can to help a player but will not do anything to sway a player toward one school. If a player commits but then realizes that school may not be the place for him, Layne said the coaches will serve as the middle man to let that school know.

Still, it comes back to accountability and making sure that if they are going to commit, they better be sure. That's what happened when Williams committed to Baylor.

"It's been a very positive experience,'' Layne said. "The energy they showed toward him when he committed has been great. For a lot of 17- and 18-year-olds this is the hardest decision of their lives.''

Williams also made some tough choices so he could start the next chapter of his life. He went through two summer school sessions so he could graduate in December and enroll at Baylor in January. Layne said Williams has a qualifying score in his ACT.

"Terence made a lot of sacrifices,'' Layne said. "He basically gave up his summer because he's that focused. He was very mature about the whole thing. He was focused.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

DB pursuits

With Mesquite Poteet's Verkedric Vaughns now in the mix, Baylor is still searching for two more defensive backs for its 2014 class.

With 23 commitments, you may wonder how that can be if they're going to fit a QB ? Randall Cunningham ? into this group. Obviously, Big 12 teams can't sign more than 25, so that goes back what they would do with borderline Feb. 5, 2014 signing candidates in Rockdale LB Greg Roberts.

If either or both are encouraged to wait, then that brings the total to 21 or 22 and thus creating some room.

As for the defensive back candidates, Baylor continues to lean on DeSoto defensive back and TCU commit Nick Orr. Orr said he's done a little social media exchanging with Baylor even after committing to TCU in late June.

"They're trying to get me to visit and see a game,'' Orr said. "I'm debating whether I'm going to go. I like Baylor, but I'm committed to TCU. Anything can happen between now and signing day.''

And little has changed from Baylor staying after a couple more committed players in Baylor Pflugerville Hendrickson's StepFawn Hughes (committed to Missouri).

The Bears are also willing to wait and see what happens with Houston Lamar teammates John Bonney and John Plattenburg[/URL]. Both have Baylor offers. Plattenburg took an unofficial to Baylor in June before he moved back from California. The Bears would like to see if they can get Bonney on campus before it's too late. But the longer this drags out for Bonney, the less likely it looks.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Drew already at work on 2016 guard
Opinions may vary on Scott Drew, but something everyone can (or should) agree on: Few work harder. The latest piece of evidence is 2016 G http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Malik-Monk-143723[/URL]">Malik Monk, a player the Bears offered just this week.

Baylor had been eyeballing his film for some time, but seeing him in person at two national AAU tournaments convinced the staff that Monk was worth the offer.

"They were at all of his games this summer," said his older brother, Marcus, who's guiding Malik through the process. "They definitely made their presence known at all his games, at the nationals and the games in Augusta. They wanted to see in person before they offered."

Marcus said they plan to get back to Waco, but they're not sure when. Malik and family moved from Lepanto, Arkansas, to Bentonville, so he's still getting situated with his new environment. Notice I wrote "back to Waco." They've been a few times already. Malik is cousins of former Lady Bears standout Jordan Madden.

It's very early in the process for Malik. He can't sign until November 2015 at the earliest. But Baylor is in on him early, and Baylor meets all the criteria big brother has for little brother.

"As far as his recruiting situation, he can go wherever he wants to go," Marcus said. "That's up to (the recruiters) to gain his interest. My main thing will be to make sure he looks at places that can develop his game but also mature him as a man. With academics, Baylor is second to none. Those are my main things -- develop him on and off the court."
-- Jake Shaw

What are they feeding him?

Cy Falls defensive tackle Du'Vonte Lampkin stands 6-4 and weighs 307 pounds. And he has two more years to play high school football.ith

Imagine what he could be when the 2015 star is done growing! Lampkin could only smile when that idea was posted to him. But he is starting to get on a lot of people's watch lists. Baylor is one of them.

Lampkin doesn't hold a Baylor offer, but he has spoken with defensive line assistant Chris Achuff as his recruiting has emerged. The Bears are initially looking at him as a nose guard.

"I know Baylor is a pretty good school,'' Lampkin said. "The key to playing a nose guard is making sure you get off the snap quickly and play with the run blocks so you can get to the running back.''

Last month, Lampkin participated in the Rivals 250 Underclassman Challenge and held more than his own in the ever entertaining one-on-one drills.

The early impression of Baylor is that he has seen what the program has done as far as players getting a chance to play in the NFL. He has also taken note of Baylor's defense playing better football, especially in the latter half of 2012.

"That means that coaches care about the kids and want them to be successful,'' Lampkins said. "That means that they want them to play at the next level.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the notebook

>Most of the Baylor 2014 commitments won't be able to make Saturday morning's scrimmage because they either have a scrimmage of their own, team picture day or some other conflict. However, there's a chance that 2016 Fort Worth Dunbar wide receiver Devontae Kenney will be at the practice. He's the younger brother of StepFawn Hughes, who Baylor offered but committed to Missouri. Kenney (5-10, 165) has grown from being 5-8 and 156 as a freshman. Should he have a big year for the Wildcats, more people will take notice.

>Baylor is also watching Richardson Lake Highlands 2015 wide receiver Jamarice Preston. We know Preston dazzled at the June 7 Lake Highlands camp. Preston isn't very big at about 5-9 and 155 but he has a great pair of hands. In 2012, he averaged 14 yards per rushing attempt and 14.5 yards per reception.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News