ADVERTISEMENT

Aranda believes NIL approach improving; (PRESSER - VIDEO/TRANSCRIPT)

cookphotoworks

Feb 5, 2013
This is the whole presser.

I expected Aranda to open the presser with the announcement of the starting qb, but he waited until someone asked a question about it.

There were a few Arandaisms, like the description of the off season as being like a movie story board.

Biggest surprise to me was his discussion of the NIL. He broke NIL down into three tiers.

The first tier are guys that are big time, top level players, who will be 1st round draft choices.
The second tier are guys that you'd put on a poster, and have a chance to play in the NFL.
The third tier are guys that don't embarrass you and contribute to the team. He then said Baylor doesn't have any tier one players.
I talked to a couple of guys afterwards, and that statement was one I didn't expect.
When Rice plays Texas, they're going to get their butts kicked. The Rice coach knows this, but he's not going to start his Monday presser saying "We're gonna get our butts kicked this Saturday."
I wasn't clear on whether Aranda meant Baylor didn't have anyone with that much talent, with that much hype, or that none of the Baylor players were demanding tier 1 deals, but it was an odd thing for him to say.
His primary point on the NIL is something Kevin and I discussed, and Kevin talked about how major league baseball has big divisions in their locker rooms because of the salary inequity. Aranda said he preferred a system where the NIL money was spread out around the team. It's noble, and would be easier to manage, but you're going to limit yourself to three star players doing that. Four stars can demand more money, and five stars can demand a lot more money.
Kudos to Aranda for being somewhat open about Garmon Randolph. He didn't volunteer the information about his suspension, but he also didn't flinch from the question. With Randolph having already had an injury prior to spring ball, he could have side stepped and said something like, "We hope he'll be back this fall."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News